Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

opinion on the mini 90

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2006, 10:25 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default opinion on the mini 90

i saw a mini 90 today then came home and saw raceway has them also..i get confused cause hte guys say sunl but these on raceway dont...

anyway these any good? can them climb rocks and hills?

it looks so small and has a 90cc motor...the specs are the same for the 50-70 and 90 as a far as size and all that...

want to get my boy something but this whole thing is very confusing

is sunl and kazuma the same/ are mini's the same as sunl?

Old 05-28-2006, 11:29 PM
Trailblazer

Man, if you are a chiropracter, then you've got the cash to get a decent quad. Stay away from these Chinese quads. Look at Kasea, Dinli or eTon. You won't go wrong. As your boy gains confidence and he starts riding more aggressively, these cheap quads will just fall apart. You do get what you pay for. However, what the 'big four' offer is not necessarily worth the money either. They don't have the performance or handling that the higher quality scooter-engined quads do (except for the Polaris and Honda 90, although the Honda needs quite a bit of work to be competitive performance wise). Good luck with your decision. A $1,000 more might seem like a lot of money until you're out for a long weekend of riding and your boy is sitting back at camp with a broken quad. Worse yet, you're heading home two days early because the Chinese piece of crap couldn't hang.

Old 05-29-2006, 07:22 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Raceway's xl 50, 70 and 90 and maybe a few others are sunl. Sunl and kazuma are not the same. All of the 70s and 90s that I've seen are automatics - the 50s are semi auto. Unfortunately, the 70 and 90 are not cvt autos. They are one gear autos. Essentially someone tried to pick a ratio that gave a decent compromise between low end power and speed. At least as to the 70 we have, they were relatively successful. However, while it is satisfatory on hills, I cant imagine it being a rock climber.

You'll need some mechanical skills with these bikes - unlikely to be gas-n-go. But, once you get the kinks worked out, they are alot of fun. The kazuma baby falcon 110 I bought has been surprisingly trouble free (and it is a semi auto). With these chinese bikes, it seems that different people have varying degrees of luck.

Like the other guy said, if you suspect the boy is going to ride a lot, consider the taiwanese or japanese/american bikes. The desert cat 90 might be a decent compromise if you want a 2 stroke.

Also, I've seen a few posts about cracking frames on the 90 cc. Use the search function and you should find more info about these bikes.

Rodney

Old 05-29-2006, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

You can expect some problem's with the chinese quad's.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] However if you look at the cost and if your child is new to quad's and your not sure if the child will even really like riding, the expence is A great deal less.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] You will however need some mechanacal skill's.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] I have to agree with rodneygt on this one.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-29-2006, 09:52 AM
Trailblazer

i bought my son the sunl 90 mini and its a great bike so far. i took the plastic off to get to everything easy so i could check it out thourghly. its great on the hard packed dirt, but we went to a place that had sand and it just wouldnt go. it just digs down and gets stuck, he couldnt ride there , it was very dissapointing for him. he had to ride on the back of mine which isnt very safe. i dont know if its because the tires are to small or what. now he wants one that will go in the sand but he's only six years old i dont want to get him anything to big. any suggestions?

Old 05-29-2006, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

you need to stay away from the sunl 90, they have a problem with the frame breaking at the gusset at the swing arm, depending on the size of the kid the 70 or the mini 100 from raceway (sunl 110) are a good choice. it really doesn't matter which quad you decide on wheather the kazuma or the sunl they both use the same engine and electrics, the only differance is the frame and plastics, they're not rock climbers, and don't expect them to climb steep hills, our 150's won't even do that, the 110 is quite a bit bigger than the 50-90's also uses larger wheels and tire, so far we owned 2 50 kazuma meerkats, sunl 70 , sunl 90, sunl 110, 2 kazuma 150's, and my peirspeed, the only problem we encounter was a broken frame on the sunl 90, raceway replaced it with the mini 100 (sunl 110). if you know how to set up the quad correctly when you first received it, you shouldn't have any problems. i think most people who buy these quads don't have a clue how to, and they're better off buying from a dealer. the chinese are selling these by the 1000's, and like any other product their's going to be some lemons. the auto makers were making so many in the 70's congress had to pass a lemon law a few years back.

Old 05-29-2006, 11:52 AM
Pro Rider

he is only 4 yrs old, right now he rides an atc 70 but i need to put it in 2nd gearand govern the throttle but it sucks..if he stops i have change gears and the power is not there cause it is governed...he is a big 4 yr old..has no problem handling it but no gears would be nice and the 4th wheel also

i just dont want a piece of crap..he will be riding a few times a month only.. maybe 2-3 times

no dunes

Old 05-30-2006, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

I would have to say don't, our mini falcon ran about 5 hours, then valve guide worked loose, no compression. Dealer supposedly put on new head from kazuma bike ran fine for about two weeks, untill guess what again no compression. Checked the valves again on ignition stroke, and once again something seems to be holding the valve out again. Has to be the guide again. thats twice now. bike has been down more than it has been run. This is all too bad, the rest of the quad is nice, hydraulic disk breaks, dual a-arms nice soft spring rate. Just cant' get the head right. And now I think the dealer is taking advantage of his caller I.D.

Old 05-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

*67 and welcome to the forums.

Old 05-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Range Rover

I have a 2005 Eton Viper 70 2 stroke. My daughter rides and I can't say enough, its an awsome machine, it gets ridden more that my other 3 quads combined and you will have resale when he out grows it. A little more up front but you will get it back on resale later....and you won't have to work on it after you ride it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Good luck

Quick Reply: opinion on the mini 90