Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Dingo 150 hard to start. Automatic choke problem?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 09:42 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dingo 150 hard to start. Automatic choke problem?

Hello everyone. I used this forum for research before purchasing my first Chinese ATVs about 7 months ago but this is my first post. I just purchased my third. This one is a Kazuma Dingo 150 and it runs great once I can get it started and warmed up. However, to get it started takes about 15-20 start/stall cycles before I can get it running long enough to warm up. Until it's warm, it will only idle - stalls if I apply any throttle at all. Played with the fuel/air mixture screw a bit but no improvement. I saw a post where someone stated Kazuma went to a manual choke because of automatic choke problems. Mine has the automatic choke. Could this be the problem? I haven't yet taken the time to remove or test the automatic choke mechanism. Any help or advice greatly appreciated.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

listen try doing this, You know where the air hose connects to the carb? well open that, and stick a credit card or somthing of that size in there and cover most of the hole, that will act as a choke and start it, once it is warm enough take the credit card out, if that works it is an automatic choke problem, if not it is further engine problems

Old 06-01-2006, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider

if you find thats it's the choke, and live in an area that doesn't require using the choke you can remove it and fill the holes up with jb weld, the second option is their's a carb on e-bay with a manual choke, he's asking $90 for it ,

Old 06-01-2006, 03:22 PM
Range Rover

Is there an air/idle screw on that carb like there is on my 250? Maybe it needs some tweeking?

Old 06-01-2006, 04:01 PM
Pro Rider

the newer cabs have a plug so you can't adjust it, the older quads doesn't have the plug, its on the left side,forward ,just above the float bowl ,

Old 06-01-2006, 10:56 PM
Pro Rider

Ditch the carb! Find a used carb off a similar sized big 4 w/ throttle kit. You'll be happy that you ditch the carb.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well I've tried placing a credit card in front of the carbs air intake as paintballbanshee suggested but that didn't seem to change anyting. I've adjusted the air mixture and idle screws with no success. In fact, I forgot to check how many turns from closed the air mixture screw was before I started adjusting (anyone know?). There's less than an hour on the engine and while I can still get it to idle (after numerous starts) it now ALWAYS stalls when I give it any throttle. I'm thinking maybe some debris may have been in the fuel tank or fuel lines and made its way into the carb. I think I'll try taking the carb apart and cleaning it while I search for a new carb (with a manual choke). Thanks everyone.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer

Tom, I would try cleaning the carburetor with carb cleaner and blow out all passages with compressed air. The electric choke that is on my KMZ 150 (same as dingo 150) is what they call a bystarter. It is an old Honda design that doesn't appear to work very well on these engines. If you do a search I did a little write up on them a while back. The two options that were popular were 1. to replace the carb with a manual choke model or 2. install a universal primer system. I installed the primer on my wifes KMZ150 and it fires right up in cold weather. If you go this route just be careful where you run the prmer fuel lines.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

Listen to his option #1...ditch it. SEADAWG

Old 06-05-2006, 10:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Update. Got the manual choke carb off eBay as Bill suggested. Put it on today and now it runs perfect. Thanks everyone.

Quick Reply: Dingo 150 hard to start. Automatic choke problem?