Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

SEADAWG'S CHINESE INSPECTION SQUAD

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 01:22 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
Default SEADAWG'S CHINESE INSPECTION SQUAD

I softened up the front shocks by putting 1.5" wheel spacers on and replaced the rear shock with a shock from a mid '80s CR80. The front was easy, the rear took some welding. i would measure the stock shocks and look around ebay for something used that is close to the same length.

Old 08-29-2006, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All,
Looks like Jetmotto made leaps forward, but still has a ways to go. Looks like the suspension is weak...how is everything else holding up? SEADAWG

Old 08-29-2006, 08:13 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: SEADAWG
All,
Looks like Jetmotto made leaps forward, but still has a ways to go. Looks like the suspension is weak...how is everything else holding up? SEADAWG
You might want to read a little slower next time SEADAWG. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] smoovlatino was talking about a 2006 YAMOTO 200. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-29-2006, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

Just fired up the 70cc today; it's been sitting since the 14th. At first, it needed a little help (would fire but not stay running). After messing around with it for about 5 minutes, it was idling just fine and would start up with one crank. The only negative critique I have on the 70cc is the vibration. At midrange to highrange, the handlebars vibrate so much that when you get off your hands feel just like you were weedwacking for an hour! It isn't too bad if you're on and off the throttle (plus.. that's good if that's the only bad thing I can think of!). Everything else is perfect for a child's ATV.

Now the 200cc.... after riding it for about an hour, I began hearing something rattling (like a bolt and washer loose). The headlights absolutely suck, but that was expected. I'll probably replace them with some fog lights from Wal-Mart. The suspension is my main concern. Imagine being pushed about 30mph over ruts and dried truck tire imprints in a shopping cart! That's what if feels like!!! The engine runs well... shifting isn't too bad (missed 2nd a few times because you have to REALLLLY pull up on the shifter), and overall it's a good bike for the money. I just wish it was a little more stable for novice riders. My female friend was quickly discouraged from the bumpy ride and wanted to hop on my Raptor for the remainder of the evening. I was thinking of replacing the shocks and buying bigger tires. If only there was an easy way to fix this problem.....

Old 08-29-2006, 08:31 PM
Trailblazer

MWQ... would you say that after the modifications to your ATV, it rides like a Suzuki or Yamaha?

Old 08-29-2006, 08:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Can you take the springs off the shocks and cut a little off them. That should soften them up quite a bit.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:07 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: smoovlatino
MWQ... would you say that after the modifications to your ATV, it rides like a Suzuki or Yamaha?
Id say it rides sort of like a beat up, early 90's, Yamaha Breeze. Im not trying to pick on the breeze, its just the machine my wife rode that made her want a quad about 2.5 years ago. We were in Hawaii and rented some abused breezes for 2 hours. The Yamoto is still nothing to get excited about, but is much softer than it was. Its now being abused by my oldest son and his buddies.

How long are your front and rear shocks measured eye to eye? Back when I was deciding what to do with my Yamoto. The suzuki LT 160 front shocks were popular and so were anything used from a Eton quad. If your thinking new the shocks that come on the Jetmoto 150 and 200 are decent shocks for what the quad costs. Im not sure what a replacement set would cost.

Old 08-29-2006, 09:08 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

Originally posted by: Dane2
Can you take the springs off the shocks and cut a little off them. That should soften them up quite a bit.
That would actully stiffen the spring rate. Less coils to absorb the hit. Adding coils would help, but then the springs wouldnt fit.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:22 AM
Weekend Warrior

No, if you cut just enough off that the spring still expands to fit, it will reduce the spring rate (less coils holding the same weight). If you cut it too short and the ends drop to fit to the spring, then it will reduce ride height and can increase spring rate.

It's the same as adjusting the pre-load on a setup that has that adjustment.

You can't do this to every spring/shock combo, it depends on how much the spring is compressed when it is fit onto the shock body. Looking at the pictures of the chinese bikes, it looks like they have a lot of spring stuffed in there. Lose a couple coils and it will make it softer.

I've done this many times (albeit many years ago) on dirt bikes I've had, and specificaly to the stock Maico 400 I used to ride.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

Guys, I stand corrected. Wrong quad and I shoul read more detail[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: SEADAWG'S CHINESE INSPECTION SQUAD