Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

On going problems rolller weight or clutch springs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 10:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default On going problems rolller weight or clutch springs?

Hey guys, remember the thread where this guy cobbled a pipe together and then refused to believe us that a pipe has to be built right?
With that said, WHAT pipe ya got JBL?? I see you said "custom pipe" but after thinking about it, and all the roller expierements, It seems that this part of the equation might be part of it.

BTW that other guy never got back to inform us of the actuall problem (at least I didn't see it). I figure we all hit it on the head for him....The pipe.
Just a thought. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2006, 01:06 AM
JBL
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The pipe is from spain and its a technigas. The motor revs great and its fast once it gets going, I mean real fast. I havent heard back from the shop but Im supposed to get it by Thursday and I'll let you guys know. Will a new CDI answer the question with the revs topping out while at top speed?

Old 06-19-2006, 10:31 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

The technigas is liked by some, not by others. I have no problem with it.
It is a harder pipe to tune the clutchs to.
Your answer is going to be the real light rear clutch pack that WRH has. The rear shoes are too heavy and contacting the drum early, even with the 2000 rated lil shoe springs. You could expierement with lightening your shoes if you like.
I think the others will agree. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I can't wait to hear what the shop says. Please update.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Range Rover

hope the shop arent like the ones around here. i end up with most the minis around here because the shops know nothing about them. one poor fella had his dinli at our local honda shop for 6 months then took it to another shop where it sat for a couple more. he finally called me and i had it running the next day, it was a bad stator but the shops didnt have a clue. good luck

Mark

Old 06-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

That's what I'm thinking Mark. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2006, 11:44 AM
Trailblazer

I'm still wondering if he replaced the springs or just did the rollers. I don't think he ever mentioned that.

Old 06-20-2006, 01:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

I'm not sure if I'm the guy that you're talking LT80 but I did try to chop up an yz80 exhaust and fit it in a eton viper 90 but I realized real quick that its not worth the head ache. I bought a pipe from Ron Kersey instead and have been very happy with it.
Lonnie

Old 06-22-2006, 01:07 AM
JBL
Trailblazer

Stopped by the shop to check on the quad today. Mechanic replaced what I thought was a 2000 spring when in actuality, it was 1500. Kept the 30mg rollers weights up front and wow. Thats how it should have been the very first time. Wide open throttle, it wound up for all of 2 seconds and just took off screaming the whole way down the alley!!! I had a smile on my face the whole way and it had instant power when I lay off the gas to slow for a turn and as long as I didnt come to a complete stop. I weigh 175lbs so I can imagine how my 65lb boy is gonna feel. The real test will be when I get a chance to try it in the loose dirt. I'll keep you guys posted!!! Thanks for everyone's input!!!

Old 06-22-2006, 01:22 AM
JBL
Trailblazer

after thought. He said the clutch springs were fine with the true 2000 spring (red color) and he tried different roller weights but best set up was 30mg rollers with the red 2000 spring. I didnt ask what clutch springs he used since he was going on about getting a lighter clutch bell and clutch set up with gearing. So that may be my next purchase but still undecided. Some of you guys swear to a 24mm carb with a 130 jet, others say CDI and others say clutch bell. there are obviously tons of ways to set up a quad to perform for a given situation, but my boy doesnt want to race, just wants to tear up the next 90cc next to him and not get stuck in sand. Your help in next mod purchase is always welcome. Cant thank each of you guys enough!

Old 06-23-2006, 04:04 AM
JBL
Trailblazer

Picked up the alpha sports and test drove it for a while. Quad has the 2 second lag once WOT but than quickly grabs and takes off. Tried it in the grass up hill and it worked out fine. Of course I weight 175lbs so son gave it a try and was definetly impressed. Hope it does not get stuck going to Pismo Beach for the 4th of July. With 30grams rollers and a 2000 spring, is this how its supposed to respond? I would actually prefer it to just take off once throttle is applied. Is that a bad thing? For you racers, isnt immediate response from the throttle and clutch ideal? I just think a quick take off like my other stock Eton 90 would be better.

Quick Reply: On going problems rolller weight or clutch springs?