Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

On going problems rolller weight or clutch springs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2006, 12:11 AM
JBL
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On going problems rolller weight or clutch springs?

Drove the quad in the street to see how it felt after the 54mm install and 120 jet withUni filter, custom pipe. Quad starts off soooo slow since I had a mechanic change the springs to allegedly 2000. It used to take off fast but I read in this forum changing springs to 2000 would help in sand. (made it worse) It now takes off sooooo slow, But once the bike got going after about 50 feet it built up speed and took off! Then went out to the desert today and the quad couldnt even spin tire in the dirt nor pick up top speed. Son was totally upset and rode his faster brothers Eton90. I read I need a carb, it comes with a Mikuni stock, but I dont have the $$$ right now. Before I take it to the shop and have the mechanic go back to the stock clutch springs, is that the problem or should I try the roller weights first at 27-30 grams? Thanks to all that have helped me previously. 8 year old son is in tears so we both appreciate the help!

Old 06-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Yes, try different roller weights. Course, you've been told that allready. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]
Try 30-40 grams of roller weight and see what it does.
When you change springs, you change roller weight. It's a matter of roler weight to spring rate.
Clutch mods don't work w/o motor mods..period. I question the need for the clutch spring, especially the 2000 rated one.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:49 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only spring I've seen marked 2000 rpm is the torsion spring and it has little to do with the clutch stall. Were the 3 springs on the clutch replaced? I'd highly recommend an aftermarket clutch along with your rollers.

Also, you might consider changing your pipe. I doubt most customs will work anywhere close to as well as the WRH or Hetrick pipes designed for these engines. It would also allow the builders to pinpoint the clutch settings you need. Otherwise it's trial and error and if you have to use a mechanic just for springs........it's probably never going to get dialed in right (assuming that's even possible).

Old 06-12-2006, 11:33 AM
Pro Rider

If it worked before the 2K springs then something is probably together wrong. I have seen the rollers put in sideways a few times so it is like holding the bike in high gear all the time. The 2K springs whether they were the 3 little engagement springs or the rear torsion spring wouldnt hurt lowend. This and many other problems are often times from ebay scammers or other parts sellers promising "huge horsepower increase" from a $3 or $20 spring. Call Billy at WRH Racing or Hetrick racing and get it lined out.

Old 06-12-2006, 11:39 AM
Trailblazer

I have to agree with Fastest Dad, check those weights. When I put mine back together I double checked before I put the cover back on and one of the weights rolled on its side.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:33 PM
JBL
Trailblazer

Tried the roller weights today at 24grams, 30, and what I found in there and that was 48grams. Nothing helped. I will be taking the quad to the shop tomorrow to replace clutch springs and or torsion springs. I cant seem to get that first nut off. Thanks for the help, i'll keep you guys posted.

Old 06-12-2006, 10:19 PM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

You need an impact (air) wrench.

Old 06-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

Sir,
What type of quad? SEADAWG

Old 06-13-2006, 10:12 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!

Alpha Sports.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:18 AM
JBL
Trailblazer

Quads in the shop today hope to get it out by the weekend. I'll keep you guys posted.

Quick Reply: On going problems rolller weight or clutch springs?