Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

QUAD FOR MY 2 YEAR OLD

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default QUAD FOR MY 2 YEAR OLD

I let my 4yo ride my Honda Rincon 650!!! Although I am the one driving.

Old 07-12-2006, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sir....2manytoys,
I have done the same with all three of my children...ever since they were a baby. I let them love the sport from a young age and learn to shift, shift weight and be safe. Actually...truthfully, those are the best and most rememberable times of my life. Great thought. Thanks...SEADAWG[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-12-2006, 11:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

My 8yo is a great rider and very agressive. He has rode with me since he was a baby. Its a great starting point to let them learn the feel of the quad. Then when they get older you let them control the throttle, then the brakes, then throttle and brakes and so on. Thats why I think he is so good. Got to start them young!

Old 07-12-2006, 11:19 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: SEADAWG
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Is this getting out of hand or what. I rode last time and watch all these kids on quads unsupervised. I personally picked two up on two different times with no parents around. We are going to keep letting kids ride younger and younger and the regulators are going to be all over us. I see these outlawed in the future 'cause parents want their kids to have what they couldn't have when they were younger. In order to be able to access risk and hazards...babies cannot calculate these dangers, nor scan the areas of danger. Please be responsible or the rest of us will lose our riding privledges. I knew that TITLE would get your attention. SEADAWG
What age do you think they should be started.......12 or older ..maybe!!!My daughter is 7 now and wants one but I said NO maybe when she is 10-12 years old I think!!!

Old 07-12-2006, 11:48 PM
Pro Rider

Sir,
It is not always just age...they have to learn to love it. If you ride, listen to 2manytoys...he takes it easy and lets them learn to love it and want to do it. If you ride with her, she is not too young. Just make sure you keep an eye on here and you'll know when to let them ride. SEADAWG

Old 07-13-2006, 10:39 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally posted by: caperinmuskoka

What age do you think they should be started.......12 or older ..maybe!!!My daughter is 7 now and wants one but I said NO maybe when she is 10-12 years old I think!!!
I dont think its about a certain age either. I have seen 4 yr olds with amazing talent and/or common sense while riding. And I have seen adults with none.

Old 07-13-2006, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

When thinking proper size ATV for youth other factors come into play. In addition to being emotionaly ready, and having the cognitive skills to be safe - lets not forget about proper fit. Far to often I see small children on quads that don't fit them safely. I hear statments like "he'll grow into it". This may be true but I'd rather see to big of a kid on a quad then to small of one.

Minnesota has adopted some standards to specify proper "fit"

Leg length - A minimum of 3 inches of clearance between the seat and the top inseam of the pants when standing on the foot rests is required to enable the operator to maintain balance on the foot rests when turning and riding over hills and rough terrain.

Arm length - While seated on the machine and gripping the handle bars there should be a distinct bend in the arm at the elbow. Without a bend, there will not be sufficient reach to properly grip the handle bars when turning.

Hand size - While gripping the handle bar with fingers extended to the brake lever, the first joint of the index finger should extend beyond the brake lever. If it doesnÂ’t, the hand is too small to safely operate the brake.

Sounds like rain. We need it.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

When I read the title I was going to recommend a great manufacturer of 4 wheelers for 2 year olds.............................................. .......................PowerWheels.......

Old 07-14-2006, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: 2manytoys
My 8yo is a great rider and very agressive. He has rode with me since he was a baby. Its a great starting point to let them learn the feel of the quad. Then when they get older you let them control the throttle, then the brakes, then throttle and brakes and so on. Thats why I think he is so good. Got to start them young!
You are absolutely correct 2manytoys. I believe that a two year old could get hurt on anything without parent supervision. It doesn’t matter if it is Power Wheel or an ATV.

My son is just turning one and he rides with me and he loves it. I am already making him wear a helmet (it’s just a bicycle helmet) but I am trying to teach him from a young age. We just ride up and down the drive way but he just loves it.

It’s not about the age of the child it’s about the parent!!!!!

Old 07-15-2006, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

WhoDatInDaMud,
I hope to the good Lord that I will not have to go through all that trouble measuring my children for ATV/Motorcycle. I can just see the Police/Patrol having us pull our children off the motorcycle and pulling out the tape measure. Although these laws are ideal, the expense for parents will be enormous. SEADAWG

Quick Reply: QUAD FOR MY 2 YEAR OLD