Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80/KFX80 owners---question on oil and Service at the Kawasaki shop.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006 | 11:53 AM
|
Trailblazer
Default LT80/KFX80 owners---question on oil and Service at the Kawasaki shop.

Hi, brought my son's KFX 80 to a KAWASAKI shop down from my home for it's first service and to get the oil leak fixed from where the exhaust goes to engine (was dripping oil after we had the exhaust restrictor removed from exhaust) also quad would not stay running unless choke was left pulled up, as soon as you push the choke **** down it will run itself outta gas a die. So this is what they do for first service fixed the oil leak from exhaust bolts to the engine and replaced the gasket ok fine, but they said they changed the oil and they put in 4-cycle oil I WAS like WHAT it's 2- stroke not 4-stroke, they service guy says they use 4-cycle for the crank case WHAT! Anybody help me on this oil thing, not the mixure oil, but what oil did they change? I get ready to load the quad and here comes the service guy riding it in circles, and tells me "SHE's a purring like a kitten now"! Well guess what they didn't fix it from stalling, they were running it with the choke on tech never checked the idle obviously to run it with the choke, so I also noticed the chain wasn't clean or lubed and pointed it out and the tech said I did lube everything and checked thoroughly, and they still have it for over a week now and the service tech supervisor says "My guy didn't get a chance to get to it yet we been swamp with other customers bikes, Look here you tell me my boy's quad is a set everything been fixed and I go pick it up and nothing was done really and now you guy's have it for 4- more days and your busy? It should have been top priority since you failed to fix the first time. Why can't we get good service at these bike shops? I mean I go through this sort of junk everytime! But why would they use 4-cycle oil?

Old 09-12-2006 | 03:01 PM
Pro Rider

"...would not stay running unless choke was left pulled up, as soon as you push the choke **** down it will run itself outta gas a die."

The choke is on when pushed DOWN. It's off (normal operation) when pulled UP. If your description above is accurate, it sounds like yours is working perfectly. Once the engine is running and warmed up, pushing the choke down (on) will over-rich the mixture and can, indeed, cause the engine to die. Not from lack of fuel, but from too rich a mixture.

"...service guy says they use 4-cycle for the crank case WHAT! Anybody help me on this oil thing, not the mixure oil, but what oil did they change?"

Technically, the crankcase in a 2-stroke doesn't hold oil - it gets lubed by the fuel-oil mixture just before it goes into the cylinder. That little 49cc engine does, however, hold 500mL (about two cups) of oil "below" the crankcase to lube the back end. If you look on the bottom of the engine you'll see a drain plug with a hex head just like the one on the bottom of your car's oil pan; that's where the oil drains out. On the right side of the engine (behind the side panel) you'll find a smooth-headed bolt with a recessed hex head (think "allen wrench"); that's where the new oil is poured in. Immediately next to the side bolt you'll find a raised inscription: "500 mL" so you don't even need a manual to know how much oil it requires!

The owner manual and the service manual both recommend standard 10W-40 oil for this application, which I guess some might call "4-stroke oil". It sounds like your dealer did things correctly. Not sure about the chain being cleaned and lubed, but chain lube is available almost anywhere (as is 10W-40 oil).

Suggestion: If you want to be sure it's done correctly, do it yourself. That's what most of us do anyway. The owner manual has most of the information you need, and the service manual has more than you'll ever want to know. I have both for every quad, boat, etc. we own so that I can make sure things are done properly. "Take good care of your equipment and it will take good care of you."

Good luck and report back!

Old 09-12-2006 | 03:35 PM
|
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: WAATV
"...would not stay running unless choke was left pulled up, as soon as you push the choke **** down it will run itself outta gas a die."

The choke is on when pushed DOWN. It's off (normal operation) when pulled UP. If your description above is accurate, it sounds like yours is working perfectly. Once the engine is running and warmed up, pushing the choke down (on) will over-rich the mixture and can, indeed, cause the engine to die. Not from lack of fuel, but from too rich a mixture.

"...service guy says they use 4-cycle for the crank case WHAT! Anybody help me on this oil thing, not the mixure oil, but what oil did they change?"

Technically, the crankcase in a 2-stroke doesn't hold oil - it gets lubed by the fuel-oil mixture just before it goes into the cylinder. That little 49cc engine does, however, hold 500mL (about two cups) of oil "below" the crankcase to lube the back end. If you look on the bottom of the engine you'll see a drain plug with a hex head just like the one on the bottom of your car's oil pan; that's where the oil drains out. On the right side of the engine (behind the side panel) you'll find a smooth-headed bolt with a recessed hex head (think "allen wrench"); that's where the new oil is poured in. Immediately next to the side bolt you'll find a raised inscription: "500 mL" so you don't even need a manual to know how much oil it requires!

The owner manual and the service manual both recommend standard 10W-40 oil for this application, which I guess some might call "4-stroke oil". It sounds like your dealer did things correctly. Not sure about the chain being cleaned and lubed, but chain lube is available almost anywhere (as is 10W-40 oil).

Suggestion: If you want to be sure it's done correctly, do it yourself. That's what most of us do anyway. The owner manual has most of the information you need, and the service manual has more than you'll ever want to know. I have both for every quad, boat, etc. we own so that I can make sure things are done properly. "Take good care of your equipment and it will take good care of you."

Good luck and report back!
ya thanks for reply- but from my manual it states " The choke system works by pulling "UP" the choke ****" When engine is warmed push choke **** down, you had it the other way around, so grabbed the manual to find out. Also it's not a 50cc it's a 80cc and it's the KFX 80.

Old 09-12-2006 | 03:43 PM
Pro Rider

"it's not a 50cc it's a 80cc and it's the KFX"

Oops, sorry. My mistake. The choke must be rearranged from the 50 to the 80.

Nevertheless, I suspect my comments regarding the use of 10W-40 oil are still applicable. You're right that the cylinder and crankcase "use" 2-stroke oil, but the back end of the engine still needs lubrication and (I suspect) it uses a fixed amount of normal oil for that job. Your owner manual should discuss changing that oil periodically, and recommend an appropriate type. See what it says.

Old 09-12-2006 | 04:19 PM
|
Trailblazer

It doesn't really say just gives recommended weights to use, does not say either 2-stroke or 4-stroke. They put in 20-50w as they say in the desert and all there bikes this is what wieght to use regardless of 2 or 4 stroke bikes. In my Lakota Sport a 4-stroke I was told that 3 years ago to use 20-50w so thats what I put in it, oh well does seem to go with the temps as Iam looking at the temp chart for oil, thanks for your quick response though bro. Jeff

Old 09-12-2006 | 04:24 PM
|
Trailblazer

Oh ya bike hasn't even been looked at yet, "my guy hasn't had a chance yet" bad customer service as this is why I brought in for it's first service to GET FIXED, they called last Friday "SHe's all done" Go get it on Saturday morning to find same problem as when I dropped it off. They left the choke on the whole time "Morons or what? Now when I call the service manager acts like Iam bugging him but Damn if a customer already paid and ya did not fix the problem it should be TOP PRIORITY!!!!!!!!! My Lakota Sport is next to go in but man really considering other options.

Old 09-12-2006 | 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

"It doesn't really say just gives recommended weights to use, does not say either 2-stroke or 4-stroke. They put in 20-50w as they say in the desert and all there bikes this is what wieght to use regardless of 2 or 4 stroke bikes."

It IS telling you: 20W-50 oil is meant for lubrication, not for mixing and burning with gasoline.
10W-40, 20W-50, etc. designations are all "4-stroke oil", if you will. In a properly operating engine, they are not consumed but are instead circulated to keep things properly lubed. You just change them like your car's oil periodically.

Said another way, there's no such thing as "2-stroke 20W-50 oil". Your dealer did the right thing, at least in this area.

Old 09-12-2006 | 04:50 PM
|
Trailblazer

ya thanks for your help, hopefully they can get it fixed to bring home, there probably using it as there little stunt bike as the technician called the 80 a "wheelie machine".

Old 09-13-2006 | 01:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Geesh! What an ordeal!
The oil leak will prolly re-appear. It's common to leak from the exhaust/cylinder.
The choke thing is a plugged pilot jet.
There is a gear box and that's where the oil goes. Any motor oil will work fine. ie: 10-40 etc.
You need to learn how to do all this after the warranty is up.
Oh yea,, choke down is off.
You in Phoenix?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-13-2006 | 05:10 PM
|
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: LT80
Geesh! What an ordeal!
The oil leak will prolly re-appear. It's common to leak from the exhaust/cylinder.
The choke thing is a plugged pilot jet.
There is a gear box and that's where the oil goes. Any motor oil will work fine. ie: 10-40 etc.
You need to learn how to do all this after the warranty is up.
Oh yea,, choke down is off.
You in Phoenix?
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Hey there LT 80, Yes sir Iam in there area of Phoenix, actually east valley in a town called Apache Junction by the Superstition Mtns. if you know where they are, anyways got the 80 home yesterday, and LT 80 your right it was a pilot jet clogged, it's running great, idles fine dont stall at all. I know I need to get to know this machine and my other bike better, I can do minor stuff, but when it comes to carbs, engine, and even electrical Iam not to bright maybe it's my impatience or not having proper tools for the job, Having proper tools does make a job easier. LT 80 you know your S**T man thanks. Hey have you seen the new KFX 50 and the 90's yet? They look like China's and Taiwan quads what I noticed is there 4-stroke, they have these fake head lights on there, full floor boards, and from what I saw no foot brake, my son likes his 80 better, he did not like the full floor boards or no foot brake. The guy at the shop said Kawasaki and Suzuki broke away from each other, so no more 2-stroke 50-80's and no more KFX 400's, the KFX 450 looks awesome and Kawasaki is the lone maker of it, but you probably no all this anyways, have a good one. Jeff