Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

GIO ATV runs at full speed?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 02:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GIO ATV runs at full speed?

I bought a Giovanni 50cc ATV on Ebay and got it all together. When I started it. The bike just wants to go. I played with the choke but even when turn off the choke the buke shuts off. Any thoughts on what may be causing this? Idle screw?

Thanks for your Time...............Merv

Old 10-05-2006, 03:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your throttle cable is stuck or somthing of that nature. Maybe your needle is sticking in the carb. Is it twist or thumb throttle?

Old 10-05-2006, 03:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thumb Throttle. I'll check it out. But it seems to move freely

Old 10-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok I checked the throttle and took it out of the Carb and put it back in. This fixed the problem of it running wide open. I was tring then to get the idle correct and then came in for supper. I went back out and the bike will not start at all. There is one long screw comming out from the carb. Is this the idle screw?

Thanks for your time..........................Merv

Old 10-06-2006, 03:54 AM
Trailblazer

HI, Long srew is the idle screw, small one sticking out very little is the air screw(too the left and below long screw)
I just got a 2007 gio and having some trouble with the carb myself. Had a few 2006 and those carbs are easy to set up. Seems to be a new carb on the 2007 ( look different anyways)

Checked for a gel pack and there wasn't one. Ran a tank full of gas through the gas tank into a jar ( incase any crud in the tank) nothing.

The bike will idle on low idle speed but if it stalls or you shut it off. It will not start again until idle screw is turned up really high. Plug started out looking really rich, changed plug after awhile and it looks okay now( not too rich or too lean).

Did i miss anything to check, beside ripping the carb apart and cleaning?
thanks J.R

Old 10-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I'll give that a try

Old 10-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Trailblazer

HI, Heres a website for carb adjustment, idle and air screw

http://atv.off-road.com/atv/article/....jsp?id=190926

Trending Topics

Old 10-07-2006, 01:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just got my geo 50cc yesterday and I had the same problem,This is the Problem ,your throttle cable up by your lever,the two cables are joined together by a screw adjustment which sits right between the handle bars (you can not miss it) just give it a few turns with your fingers and it will correct this,You will be amazed

Old 10-09-2006, 04:32 PM
Weekend Warrior

I Finaly Got it!!!!!!!!! Thanks Everyone! So the problem I had was the trottle cable was stcuck and not moving properly. I took off the Air breather and I could see that it was not opening/closing properly inside the carb. I took the cable out and it snaped into place. Once I put it back in I had to played with the idle screw a bit to get the idle just right.

Man do these things ever go. I weigh about 210 and it drags my butt around with no problem. I used the screw on the throttle lever to try and limit the speed. It'll work fine for up hill but it'll still go fast down hill. My Prarie 400 is the same.

I bought a new spark plug BR7HS but it's not the same anyone know the proper plug for the 2007 models?

Any one know where i can get a flag for the back?

Thanks for all your support!..............................Merv

Old 10-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Trailblazer

HI, Plug is ngk cr7 hsa or cr6 hsa gap at .028.

I got my flag at walmart ( bike flag $5.00), then taped bottom of flag til it fit snuggly in the hole. It was the one piece flag and i cut some off. They work great but take them out of the quad when transporting them on the road. Nothing left of the flag after 30 km on the highway at 110 km in the back of my truck.

I here ya, 195 and i fly on that little quad. Mine seems to be running a little better. I actually read the manual with it and i had always run regular gas in the 2006 ones. Old ones never came with a manual. Manual says it needs to be higher octane. That has helped mine run better. Click on search and type in gio and all the old threads come up, lots of info on plugs, valves, etc.