Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

90 Predator Slamming noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 Predator Slamming noise

Hey guys I just picked up a 03/04 (not sure) 90 Predator used and when u drive it u here a slamming noise come from the back of the quad. It sounds like it is comming from near the sprocket...Has anyone heard anything like this. Also where can I find some parts/plastics for this? after reading in the forum with all the problems polaris is having I hope I did not make a bad coice...please help

Old 10-15-2006, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

Probably what you are hearing is the chain slapping against the chain guard.This is very common...As the rear axle goes through its travel the chain becomes tight and then loose again due to the arc that the swingarm travels in.When going over big bumps the chain will loosen as the suspension compresses and smack against the guard..Tighten up the chain to specs and you should be fine..If you are doing a lot of jumping or are a fairly heavy rider I would recommend a chain tensioner.I got one from HPD products that was intended for the predator but worked very well on our viper as well....The predator is a good machine and you should be happy with it.Just keep it out of water deeper than the floor boards or you may run into stator problems..Try WRH racing for parts..

Old 10-16-2006, 09:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the fast reply....But there is no chain guard on the quad...I have to get one because like i said its for my son and it looks very dangerous without one. Someone told me it sounds like i am missing one of the boots in the back...dont know what that is but i will look. It is one had slam you hear when you give it gas...does not happen all the time...it seems like it hapens when u give it gas gas alittle and the u gun it. If u just gun it from the start it does not happen.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Ron27
. It is one had slam you hear when you give it gas...does not happen all the time...it seems like it hapens when u give it gas gas alittle and the u gun it..
HUH???????..It's hard to help when I can't understand what you are saying??Are you sure there is no chain guard even on the bottom side?..There are no "boots" on the rear of this mini?

Old 10-16-2006, 04:17 PM
Trailblazer

tighten you chain up it will stop doing that

Old 10-16-2006, 08:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes they took off the chain guard and the chain is tight...Im not sure what it can be but it sounds bad...Like I said if u just gun it (gas) right from the start u dont hear it but if u give it gas alittle at a time it happens...

Old 10-16-2006, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds pretty wierd....I would jack up the back of the quad and check the wheels, rear axle bearings,basically anthing that could be loose or worn....Give a pull and yank on everything to look for play.Also inspect the sprockets and chain and rear brake assembly..If it all looks good start it up and have someone run the throttle while its up on the jack. You listen and look to try to pin point the noise.One other thought is that the belt is letting go and its hitting inside the cover at times.If you can't find anything else I'd take a look in there..Its amazing how sounds can carry..I was looking for a wierd rattling noise on my brothers quad on the weekend.At first I thought it was coming from the clutch,then the left front wheel and then thought it might be detonation in the engine....After I got off I had him rev it up while I walked around and it turned out to be a broken headlight bulb vibrating inside the headlight but only at a certain rpm.I never would have believed a headlight bulb could make so much racket...Ya just never know [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-16-2006, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

your right i will try that...is there ny sight to d/l schematic to this quad? also looking for some plastics for quad

Old 12-19-2010, 04:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

i have the same problem,i have tryed tighten it i even had a man out to fix the chain tensioner and its still ratteling he said he had tightend the chain but it doesnt look very tight to me .ive tryed telling my dad but he wont look at it cause he says its fine because the machanic fixed it but like i said the chain doesnt look to tight but ive heard if you tighten them to thight they can come off spring up and split ll of your back open i raly dont want that to happen on christmas day
JACK
E-TON VIPER 90

Old 12-20-2010, 03:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ouch that would hurt haha, yeah i would think its the chain too, i would get a chain guard though it could be hittin anything or be wobbling

Quick Reply: 90 Predator Slamming noise