Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Recommendations LT80 Setup / Oil Injection leave or remove / Front Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 07:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommendations LT80 Setup / Oil Injection leave or remove / Front Tires?

New to the LT80 family as my little one has graduated from electric to gas. I've read hours on this forum and have gained a great deal of knowledge. Thank you to all. I will become a member when I get home... Quad is a 1999 LT80, stock with DG pipe. I just recently purchased paddles (haulers on douglas wheels)

I have always premixed my oil. Is it recommended to remove the oil injection and mix the oil yourself or leave it intact. My worry is if the injector goes out, so does my motor. Do you recommend removing everything or just disconnecting. I know others have posted the same thing but what do you block the holes with? Or do you recommend I leave it alone?

2nd: We primarily ride in Glamis. Should I change the gearing? I haven't checked mine but I assume it's stock, from what I read it probably is 12/26.

3rd: Front wheels / tires or spacers or both. Should I get 8 or 10" wheels up front? If I bet 3/3 offset should I also get spacers? 19 or 20" tire? Rear tires are 18" tall.

4th: I understand with shaving the head on the motor to also do clutch Mod's. What are the back shoes? I read somewhere to cut them...very confused. I'll buy a book

5th: How do I get my motor to Jack AKA: LT80 when it is time for upgrade? It appears he's the go to guy and makes a solid, reliable and quick motor. I don't need to be the fastest, I just don't want to work on the darn thing every trip either. Should I leave everything stock if that's the case?

Thanks to any and all suggestions.

sales@pfcwest.com

Old 10-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Recommendations LT80 Setup / Oil Injection leave or remove / Front Tires?

Welcme to the ATV Connection forums. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
As you seen, there is more LT80 knowledge in these forums than can be read in a day. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Run premix. You must remove the clutch cover and pull off the lil black piece off the end of the driveshaft. You then can cut the oil line going to the carb and put a piece of toothpick in it.
Gearing: a 1999 will have 520 chain thus 10/22 gearing. To change or not to change would be on how it does in the sand the way it is.
Use the stock front tires unless you have a specific reason to change. Get some spacers and turn the front wheels around.
Clutchs: as you read, remove 2 of the front rollers. Don't worry about the rear clutch shoes for now.
A Moore motor is very reliable. No worrys there.

I been to Glamis 3 times. You stay at Olgilby? Gecko? Olgilby seems to be the kiddie hot spot. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2006, 03:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Jack.

We usually go out to the washes (out past the glamis store) some great areas to ride around camp and small dunes close by.

I haven't taken off the clutch cover yet but you state to remove the piece off the end of the driveshaft. What does that piece do and I don't have to remove anything else?

thanks

Old 11-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The black piece drives the oil pump.
Other than plugging the oil line going to the carb, that's it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say leave the injector alone. I had an LT for years, and a dozen of my buddies still have theirs. Nobody has had a problem with an unreliable injector.

I found sand tires to be pretty much useless on this machine (same with the Honda 90). All it does is dig two holes. I say just air down the stock tires a little......and go.

Gearing change not needed. These little things rip! (I assume your in uncorked and the carb slide limiter has been removed.)