Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Oil Leaking. Unison Gaskets?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unison Gaskets?

Both of my Unison 90's are leaking oil from the right side crank case cover gasket. I believe that is the CVT side so it must be CVT oil? The problem is not that the bolts are loose, I already tightened them up quite a bit. It still leaks. It would almost seem that the casing is generating pressure that is not relieved and the oil is leaking form the weakest point. Either that or the machining of the case cover is really poor and it needs 2 or 3 gaskets. Anybody else experience this? Maybe it is leaking somewhere else and I am missing it?

They also smoke a WHOLE lot. Just billows white smoke. I understand it is a 2 stroke but Suzuki 80cc 2 stroke quads do not smoke. At all. This is normal?

Any suggestions as to the actual cause of the leak? Where can I get right hand side crank case/cvt cover gasket? I assume many use the same part. Perhaps Polaris?

Old 10-29-2006, 07:18 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Oil Leaking. Unison Gaskets?

The CVT has no oil in the case. It is belt driven and should not have anything in the cvt case but the belt and clutches. It shoulod not be leaking oil unless teh oil tank is leaking above the motor. Is the cap on the oil tank. Did you add oil to the tank?

Old 10-29-2006, 07:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thankyou for responding. Here is a picture for clarity. Perhaps this is the tranny gear box then. I am sure there is oil in it. There is a drain plug on the bottom and a ill plug 2/3 the way up.

Picture of oil leak

Does this help? The oil is goldish like a cars 40wt. Feels heavier though like gear oil. Seems that it is unlikley to be the gasket as there is an atmmosphere vent that is easier to escape from. Being squished through a gasket is quite hard. And the fact that it is happening to both of my new quads identically seems odd as well.

Any ideas? Thankyou!

Old 10-29-2006, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

Sir,
Go down to your local pep boys or auto store and buy some high quality gasket sheet. Take off your leaking cover and check if it is all smooth. If not, gently use mild sand paper and smooth it out. Flip the casing that you just took off onto the gasket paper and trace the outside. I would use my wife's kitchen sizzors/shears and cut out the gasket. Take your time and don't hurry. Measure your casing...1/4 of inch or close, cut the inside of the gasket. I would use 1/4 of an inch, could be less. Once you do that, put the gasket on the case and mark the holes. You can either drill the holes out or you can cut them out. Since you have had problems leaking (could just be quality problems), I would use high pressure/temp gasket sealer on both sides. If this doesn't stop it, you have other issues.

Also, in saying this, I know it is easier maybe to get a new one, but it may have the same quality defect as the old. Hope this helps.

Also, tell us more about this white smoke? SEADAWG

Old 10-29-2006, 08:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Ok thats the reverse gearbox not the cvt. Check to make sure the vent line is not blocked. Also it may be overfull with gear oil. Other than that it liiks like the seal could be bad.

Old 10-29-2006, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry for the confusion. A few more qustions then. Related and otherwise.

-Is it safe to assume then that the reverse gear box is only in use when in reverse? When in drive the internals are stationary?

-I will get the material and seal the crap out of it. Is there anywhere else around there that the oil could be coming from? Isn't the engine oil on the other side?

-The white smoke is from the tail pipe. As the kids drive, it smokes white. I assume a higher quality injector oil would reduce the smoke. There is alot of similar posts in the Polaris forum.

-I have heard than the Unison is the same as the Polaris. Is this "the" same or is it a design knock off kind of same? There seems to be some ambigity around this point. Some say it is actually the same manufacuring plant in Tiawan. Like Chevy and GMC. It really seems to have high quality bits on it. Definitly not Chineese but not Japanese either. Well the carb is Keihn.

-The quads have boat loads of power stock btw. I can spin the wheels from a dead stop with me on it. Really impresive power. I can only imagine with pipe and jets. I am very pleased with the suspension as well.

Thanks!

Red Uni 90
Green Uni 90
ready to go!

Old 10-30-2006, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice collection there. I am not sure if my kids smoked that much when I first got it, but I have been
running Golden Spectro in it since we bought it and it does smoke on start up and while warming, but
once it warms up it doesn't smoke that much at all.

Pics of my kids DC90 are in the camera link under my avatar to the left.

I swapped out those stock tires for 18" show hogs in the rear and 20" Razrs in the front. Drives like a
different machine now! Verde Powersports now has seat covers for it since I sent them my seat for a
template.

Darrin

Old 10-30-2006, 04:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Notice how wide mine are? I put 2 inch spacers for each rear wheel and 1 inch spacers for each front wheel. Nive and wide, wider than my wifes TRX actually. The stock tires work really well for the AZ desert. Reverse them and they work well in dunes.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't notice that. How does the front end behave with the spacers on it? I have heard that they
can mess up the spindles if you do alot of jumping....which my kid loves.

I got different offset wheels for mine in the rear to widen it up a bit. I was looking at Hetrick's spacers
for ours.

Darrin

Old 10-30-2006, 08:28 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

ebeck,

The reverse gearbox always has gears that turn. It is hooked direct to the output shaft of the motor. So the gears always turn forward and then in reverse when put in reverse.

The oil tank is on the same side as the gearbox just above the exhaust pipe.

They will smoke alot depending on what oil you use. If you use a good synthetic low smoke oil it will be alot better. If you use a regular grade oil it smokes alot. It is good that it smokes that way you know the oil injector is working. Make sure you use oil for oil injected motors not regular oil for premix.

As for Unison, and polaris. The same company makes both of them. Also makes yerf dog, xtreme, kymco and a half dozen other brands. The motor in them has been made for about 7-8yrs and is very reliable. The parts from the 2 stroke polaris preds are interchangable.

Quick Reply: Oil Leaking. Unison Gaskets?