Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Finally, Narrowed list to 3 quads

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 10:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Finally, Narrowed list to 3 quads

In the race scene, the AMA/ATVA (and others) figured out that it takes almost twice the cc's of a 4 stroke to compare to a 2 stroke. ie::265 class you can run the new 450's in it.
Thus a 90cc 4 stroke cannot have the same power as a 90 2 stroke.

I'm sure that the 4 strokes are dependable motors, and I have nothing against them.

That's the reasoning for my statement. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-15-2006, 10:58 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: bassinms
Originally posted by: LT80
What you need to realize is that the 4 stroke 90s are gutless. Your figuring that it will pull your child greatly thru the woods/trails/hills and this is prolly far from the truth.
I agree with raptorlegs (I can't believe I said that), I'd look at the bulletproof Honda. Other than that, I'd be finding a 2 stroke.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Very interesting take. I am looking for a 4-wheeler that can pull my kids through some good hills without bogging down to bad and make it through some decent water without issues. The boys are 5 and 7 and have ridden 50's and some 90's before. I watched the kawasaki 90's unrestricted go through some pretty good obstacles and it did not seem to have problem so why do you think that a 4 stroke won't work for this? I don't know that is why I am asking. Thanks for any help.
As Jack said, a 90cc 4-stroke has about the same power potential as a 50cc 2-stroke. If that enough power for you, then great. But where I ride 50's don't make it 50 feet. The stock 90's struggle. A few bolt ons (pipe, reeds, carb, high comp head) for a 2-smoke will add significant gains in power (and the DRR DRX already comes with most of that stock, btw). To do anything close on a 4-stroke, you're talking about tearing into the engine.

Now if you need a green sticker for California, then a 2-stroke may be out of the question. But in that case, a 4-stroke semi-auto is the way to go. You don't have the power loss associated with a cvt and they are more durable than a cvt, imo.

Old 11-15-2006, 11:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[i]

Have you been able to find a light kit for the Kawasaki? I just bought one for my daughter, but was disappointed to find that they only have plastic faux lights on the front.
I have not looked into lights yet - but the faux lights are kind of silly.

I plan to buy a 12v LED or halogen light kit from Walmart or one of the chain auto stores and wire it up myself.

I'll put real ones in the housing where the fake ones are.

I'll bet Kawi comes out with a kit to retrofit lights soon also.

I think the Quad has plenty of power for my daughter. I'll be taking the transmission restrictor out soon and it should help a lot.

She is very happy with it and can trail ride with no problem at all.

Old 11-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I bought a kymco mongoose 90 for my son 2 weeks ago. Its a great quad, Have the green sticker for CA.
It have 3 speed limiters on: Screw on the throtle, A ring in the CVT transmission , and a restriction in the CDI unit.
I removed last week the CDI restriction: On the CDI unit are 2 connectors ,a 4 wire and a 2 wire connector, both have a light green wire, you just take wire cutters and cut the light green wire on the 4 wire connector.
I think the kawa and the arctic cat is made by kymco, check out the cdi unit on them or they have that light green wire.
I think to remove the restriction in the CVT in a couple weeks when he is used to the atv .

Old 11-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

You can buy a head light for the kymco for about $90. Its fit the head light from the mongoose 250 and 300.
The quad comes already pre wired and have the switch on the handle bar.

Old 11-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Trailblazer

I just got back from the artic cat dealership, I found some interesting information out. First off, Kymco is the engine manufacturer of the Artic Cat 4 stroke as well as the Kawie 90, So I feel safe with this engine. After looking at the Artic Cat, I can get the utility version for about the same price as the Kawie and it has somethings that I liked better. Such as independent front suspension and the overall looks. The lenght is longer on the AC and the width is smaller making it fit my boys a little better.

I also asked why most (if not all) the 90cc's do not come with headlights and the guy told us that it was a liability issue on the atv manufacturer because kids at this age should not be driving at night -- Point taken - haha

I understand that the 4 stroke is slower than the 90cc, but off the show room floor the atv runs 15 mph. With the restrictor removed, it will run about 25mph. I am not sure that I want my kids running faster than 25 mph in the next few years anyway.......

What do you think?

Old 11-15-2006, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

bassinms,

Since the quads will be used for hunting along with trail riding the Artic Cat's would have been my choice also. It is a nice looking quad. It's helpful that the kids can even pack their own gear on their quads.

Since you need two have you thought about buying the Artic Cat and the Polaris to see how they compare against eachother? These are the silly things that I think of and do when I am faced with a delimma like yours. Then I get to hear the "I told you so" from the wife and the kids when and if something goes wrong or does not work out just right. Still doesn't matter to me, I enjoy doing the comparisons and seeing how things turn out.

Anyways good luck with your purchase and I hope your kids like their new quads.

SB.

Old 11-15-2006, 07:23 PM
Trailblazer

So the polaris 90 scrambler has a restriction for the speed? My GPS said it goes 30mph but dont seem like it to me.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:18 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: smb05
bassinms,

Since the quads will be used for hunting along with trail riding the Artic Cat's would have been my choice also. It is a nice looking quad. It's helpful that the kids can even pack their own gear on their quads.

Since you need two have you thought about buying the Artic Cat and the Polaris to see how they compare against eachother?
Thanks, I plan to purchase them on Saturday. Got a good price of $2150 / per atv so I am pretty happy. However, funny you said that about comparing them because I was talking to my wife about the same thing. She likes the AC better than the polaris and pretty dead set on them. Not to mention she brought up with two boys, all they will do is fight over who's is who.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Trailblazer

Might as well start looking ahead.

Anyone know if I can get real headlights for the AC or do I have to buy L.E.D lights from Walmart !!!

Also, Anyone know about the restrictors on the 2006 Artic Cat. Probably won't remove them any time soon, but might as well start plan for the future.

Quick Reply: Finally, Narrowed list to 3 quads