Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Finally, Narrowed list to 3 quads

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 09:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally, Narrowed list to 3 quads

Thanks to everyone for the very good information that I have obtained about youth quads. I have narrowed my list down to 3 different quads. First off, I decided to go for a 4 stroke since I know my kids will be riding trails, which consist of water puddles, and hunting in the rain. It sounds like the 2 stroke might have to many issue for me with water and don't want to tackle that headache. Although, I have a chance to buy 2 polaris sportsman 90 2 strokes for $1500.00 a piece 8-(.

I narrowed my list to these 3 quads because of the brand name and also that I have a dealer close by. One thing that I keep thinking of is the long term because I plan to keep these quads for 5 - 7 years. Not to mention in 5 -7 years I should get about half (or a little less) what I paid for them making the overall expense worth the about.

Here are my final three quads which are 4 stroke automatics (in no particular order) -- Which one and what do you think??? The problem that I am having is most

1. 2007 Kawasaki KFX 90 -

This is the new Kawie 4 stroke engine that seems to have pretty good reviews, although I am not to sure about these reviews because they were supported by Kawasaki. This atv runs about $2100.00 per quad.

2. 2007 Artic Cat 90 (Utility)

I know the least about this four wheeler, but it is a 4 stroke engine and seems to be pretty nice. I think this atv will run for about $2200.00 each. They also sell them at Bass Pro and might get a better deal there??

3. 2007 Polaris Sportman 90

This is a new atv for 2007 because of the 4 stroke and the most expensive, however, I have not hear much on reviews as far as the new 4 stroke. I know the 2 strokes are okay, but not for getting wet, so I am interested in the 4 stroke.

If anyone can add additional information, I would love to hear what they have to say about these atv's.

Thanks,

Old 11-12-2006, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

bassinms,

I'm not positive on this but I think Kymco makes both the AC 90 and the KFX 90 for both companies. Here is something for you to try, run a comparison from Kymco here is the link Kymco Comparison

SB.

Old 11-13-2006, 01:00 AM
Trailblazer

I looked at the Kymco, but the major downside to me was no headlight. Since they will use this for hunting, they will be driving the quad real early in the morning or late afternoon when it is dark. Sure they will either be right in front of me or right behind me, but I would like to have headlights on their machine.

Also, I continue to hear things about speed limiter. The Kawasaki says it will go 25 miles an hour. Is this true or do I have to do something to make it go that fast. I know of the throttle limit screw on the handle bars, but that is is. Or do people remove the speed limiters to make the quad go over 25 miles an hour?? Don't really understand this.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

I don't think you can go wrong with your 3 picks...the Desert Cats are getting great reviews though. Also, the speed limiter if installed correctly should be able to be adjusted all the way out so it doesn't affect top end or performance. The ones that I have owned were nothing more than a screw that allows throttle button to go a certain percentage. If you don't like them, you can take them off. SEADAWG

Old 11-13-2006, 11:06 AM
T Rex Rider
What irritates me is!
Those 6-packs work pretty good.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are riding on fairly flat terrain, I think they will do fine. For hills, mud or sand, I would not buy a tiny 4 stroke with a power robbing cvt. I'd look for a semi-auto. My $.02.

Old 11-13-2006, 12:43 PM
Pro Rider

Most of your main brand 90 atv's will be speed limited to around 10 to 15 mph off the showroom floor. Almost all of them have a set screw on the thumb throttle that will limit it. Some of them also have a secondary limiter.

The Polaris 90 has a jumper on the CDI that limits its rpm's. It took no more than a minute and a screwdriver to unscrew the 2 screws and take out the jumper giving it full speed. Several other bikes have a restrictor plate in the air intake restricting the amount of air to the engine.

I have no first hand experience with the KFX 90 but from what I have read they have a "speed reduction collar". From what I understand it is a ring that is on the CVT not allowing the belt to go out towards the end resulting in a very limited speed. There has been confusion on several forums exactly how to get it off and it does not sound like a simple 1 minute task to do like most of the other options.

RaptorLegs has a good point about the 4-stroke and the CVT transmission. The CVT on my sons 90 cc Predator 2-stroke is really quick and stays dead even with his big sisters CVT 150 cc 4 stroke in a drag race.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer

Hello,

I have a family of Polaris quads and swear by them all. I even considered purchasing the new 4 stroke 90cc predator for my daughter (same as the Sportsman - engine wise.) But - with almost all new models, the first year of a new product usually means a year of working out the bugs! Now, I am not saying that you are guaranteed mechanical problems if you purchase one, I am just saying that it is usually in the first year of production (on a new quad, vehicle, etc) that the most problems occur. That is why I ended up purchasing my daughter another 90cc Predator 2 stroke versus the new 4 stroke. That being said, if you are set on a 4 stroke, have you considered the Honda TRX 90?

That would be one that I would consider if I were purchasing a 4 stroke today. Now, if after a year there wasn't any major bugs in the Predator 4 stroke - I would consider it hands down (because I really like the Polaris product.)

Good luck in your decision!

Old 11-13-2006, 10:44 PM
Trailblazer

[quote]
Originally posted by: Evasiveone
Most of your main brand 90 atv's will be speed limited to around 10 to 15 mph off the showroom floor. Almost all of them have a set screw on the thumb throttle that will limit it. Some of them also have a secondary limiter. [quote]

I am not real concerned about the thumb throttle because that is a easy fix. However, When you say that most of the main brand 90 atv's will be speed limited to around 10 to 15 mph off the showroom floor it worries me. For example the Kawasaki 90 says that it will go 25 mph, does this mean that it will really go 15mph unless we remove the secondary speed limiter? Or do you mean that the quads will go 25 mph and if you remove the speed limiter you can actually get 35 to 40 mph out of it?

In other words, I don't understand what type of performance I will receive off the showroom floor.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

Off the showroom floor you will receive very limited speeds. They do this for legal reason.

When we brought home our 90 Predator I did not tell my son it was restricted and had him race his sister on her Raptor 50. Man was he mad when she beat him. After having a good chuckle at his expense we pulled off the CDI jumper and he was off to the races. Came back grinning from ear to ear.

From what I understand about the Kawasaki it comes off the showroom floor limted to 10 to 15 mph. You have to remove the speed reduction collar to get the 25-30 mph top speed.

Maybe some others can chime in with what they felt their top speeds were on other brands off of the showroom floor with the restrictors in.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have never experienced that and most are limited by the throttle screw. Some have the jumper wires in the cdi to limit rpm's. These are setup by the dealer not manufacturer. If you unscrew the screw it will open the throttle all the way up and some may have restrictors in the exhaust that limits power but not throttle. The DC90 and Polaris pred90 are not limited except by the screw. If you want more power there are other small things to do but most times not needed unless you want to modify. I would say the 2 sportsmans for 1500 sounds like a deal or you can buy new dc90's for 1600.

Quick Reply: Finally, Narrowed list to 3 quads