Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

70 Sunl Transmission slipping

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 03:07 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 70 Sunl Transmission slipping

I bought a 70 Sunl last year that only has about 10 hours on it. It took me months to get it to run correctly. Problem with the needle jet. Had to buy a new carburetor to fix the problem finally. My newest problem is that the transmission is slipping at about 5 mph when going up a grade. My son only weighs 35 lbs and this THING has definitely not been abused. It hasn't ran long enough to be abused. When I purchased it I was told it was a 4 speed automatic transmission, which I found out it definitely isn't. The only manual I could find that I guess is similar to the motor is for a Yamoto 70 (and it is a parts catalog). According to this catalog it has a one way clutch and then a clutch. Has anyone replaced the clutch on one of these yet. Any suggestions how to fix this? What is involved in inspecting/replacing the clutch on this 4 speed auto?

Old 01-14-2007, 06:40 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: HTELectrical
I bought a 70 Sunl last year that only has about 10 hours on it. It took me months to get it to run correctly. Problem with the needle jet. Had to buy a new carburetor to fix the problem finally. My newest problem is that the transmission is slipping at about 5 mph when going up a grade.
Replace the clutch. I've replaced many clutches on these cheap Chinese ATV's. I've seen quite a few with "defective" clutch material that disintegrates within minutes of the engine warming up. It's not real hard, but you need a spanner wrench (or socket) to get the clutch not off. Remove the right side engine cover. You'll see the clutch and quickly figure out how to get it off.

Old 01-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: BigRic
I bought a 70 Sunl last year that only has about 10 hours on it. It took me months to get it to run correctly. Problem with the needle jet. Had to buy a new carburetor to fix the problem finally. My newest problem is that the transmission is slipping at about 5 mph when going up a grade.
Replace the clutch. I've replaced many clutches on these cheap Chinese ATV's. I've seen quite a few with "defective" clutch material that disintegrates within minutes of the engine warming up. It's not real hard, but you need a spanner wrench (or socket) to get the clutch not off. Remove the right side engine cover. You'll see the clutch and quickly figure out how to get it off.
Where should I get the clutch from? You said the original clutch material was junk, what do you recommend as an aftermarket replacement? I am kind of sick of this Pice of **** already. My biggest issue is the zero ground clearance at the rear end and lack of any real suspension (the shocks are more for looks than functionality). I am constantly having to tell my son not to run over ANY rocks because it slams the swingarm, sprocket, and/or the disk brake rotor leaving him high centered with a discouraged look on his face. If anything else goes wrong with it I am to the point of just throwing it in the trash!! Oh yeah the back axle came bent when purchased, and because it took so long to get it running, the warranty was expired before I found out that the axle was the problem. I guess I should contact Raceway, but I don't know what they are going to do since it is now 13 months old, but has only been used like I stated 10 hours if that.

Old 01-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Range Rover

Where should I get the clutch from? You said the original clutch material was junk, what do you recommend as an aftermarket replacement? I am kind of sick of this Pice of **** already. My biggest issue is the zero ground clearance at the rear end and lack of any real suspension (the shocks are more for looks than functionality).
You need to get the clutch out first and see what type it is. There are 2 types of clutches. One is completely Honda compatible and you can get those just about anywhere....even on EBAY. The other is a cheaper design that I've never seen before until these Chinese quads.

Old 01-20-2007, 03:09 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the help. I have read about adjusting the clutch with the nut and screw on the right side. Think this might help?

Posted by
KNOWSALOT
Take a screw driver and hold the center screw from turning while you loosen the nut with a wrench. Now,...Turn the screw COUNTER CLOCKWISE until resistance is felt and then back off one 1/4 turn.

Then hold the screw from moving again while you tighten the nut.
I guess I will try this first, but I am not very confident that this is going to help at all, and then pull it apart and go from there if necessary.