Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Detailed report, Hi-Bird Tornado 200, complete.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 12:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailed report, Hi-Bird Tornado 200, complete.

I just noticed that there are 2 types of Hibird 200's. One with Dual front A-arms and one a little less with single A-arms. the single looks a little stronger/thicker metal and better welds. Anyone have any experience with both? Or can I get some feedback from people who have one or the other. Here are the links with pics. Each has different plastic lights etc. both at anam.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...e=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...me=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

Old 08-31-2007, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer

MasterMan,

The single A arm must be a newer model, probably a change due to production costs. IMHO I would go with the double arms. I don't see the same type of spindle with the double ball joints on the new one, but there are no good shots of it. But it's hard to imagine the spindle on that one to be a sstrong as the double arm. Also you have a bit more ground clearance on the double arms. I think performance wise ther HI Bird is a good quad, But for harder use I would go with the double arms.

Old 09-01-2007, 03:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey y'all

Thanks for all the great info. I just bought a 200cc Hi-Bird from Tim at Vbikes. Lucky me, I'm within a mile of his shop twice a day, and was able to inspect, and pick mine up on my lunch hour. Mine has about 3 hours on it now, and it runs hot. (detonation & loss of power) I'm going to get a tool and richen the carb, but I see where some of you are adjusting your valves. Where did you find the clearance specs? I don't see them in the "manual" anywhere.

Also, I'm going to get another one for my wife, and was wondering if any of you with the 150cc have any cooling issues? Anybody have one of the water cooled models?

Thanks in advance for any input!

Old 09-01-2007, 11:24 AM
Trailblazer

KennyL

The valves should run about .004 clearance. Your detonation probably is in the carb though. As for the cooling of the 150's, I have two models and they are both great ! We have had 100 degree temps down here and I can let them sit and idle in the heat at mid day for as long as necessary when using them for working around the place. They just never seem to heat up. They have a great fan built onto the body that sucks air right across the cylider. And they have as much power as my 200 but with the automatic they are more fun to ride. The one that vbike sells should have the neutral position on the shift lever like mine. My wifes has only forward and reverse. These are so versitile my 5 year old grandson rides mine easily and my own 200 lbs fits it nicely and even my 6' 5" son has all the power he needs.

Go for it !

Old 09-02-2007, 03:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply Whiskers!

I went for the 150 today for my wife and am quite pleased with it. It even runs just a wee bit faster than my 200, although my wife does weigh less than me (and dang well better stay that way). The 150 has a different manual, a much better manual as a matter of fact. It even has the valve lash specs. It shows 0.05mm for both intake and exhaust which I thought was a little odd. I have a carb adjusting tool on the way, so we'll see if that helps with the 200 running so hot.

They didn't have a water cooled model in stock today, although Tim told me over the phone that he did. While I was there, I was asking about specific replacement parts, like brake shoes, etc. and the kid that was helping me said they don't have them. I asked what I was supposed to do when they wear out, and he didn't answer me. (When I bought the 200, I asked Tim about parts in "general" and he said "we have all the parts") I'm sure I'll run into some problems like that in the future, but on the other hand, it's not like I laid down 5 grand for this thing.

All in all, I'm happy with the new toys and will have easily gotten my money's worth out of them by the time they do wear out.

Old 09-02-2007, 10:28 AM
Trailblazer

KennyL,
I think you'll be well pleased with your choice. As far as parts go I know from other guys on the forum, that if your local guy doesn't have the parts when needed ,that they are so generic that you will be able to find them from Raceway. All these Chinese quads seem to come from the same city in China. I think they just hustle parts to all the factories on a moped ! As you say, for the price we can live with a little inconvenience. I actually got ball joints from the guy at ANAM. !

Enjoy the ride !

Old 09-03-2007, 05:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

i just purchased a 250 and have a few questions. 1. where can i get a manual for this thing? 2. what type of oil is used? i have no manual and the engine is dry. 3. when you drill the vent hole, do you just put a hole in the top of the cap or is there a preexisting hole that just needs to be enlarged?

everything else has been answered from the great post you guys put up.

Old 09-03-2007, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

hi booster,Congrats on your purchase.What kind did you buy? If its a HI-Bird this link should help you .

http://www.motorxtremes.com/pd...ornado200_owners.html

As for the vent I just drilled a 1/16 hole in the top of the cap.And as far as the oil there is a suggested type in the manual from the link above.I like many others went to autozone and got ATV/Motorcycle 10/40 oil it is designed for wetclutch systems for what its worth.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:13 PM

kenny L
we have most of the part instock ,you can come by and pick it up anytime .

Old 12-18-2007, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Great write-up and very funny too. Just received my Hi Bird QH-200ST which looks much like the Tornado. They (ANAM Cycles Inc/Oklahoma City, OK) demanded $749.00 out the door and had the nerve to deliver it free in only three working days. Printed out your manuscript and will start the process tonight to put it together.

Xmas gift for my wife ;&lt[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Thanks,
Baja-D

Quick Reply: Detailed report, Hi-Bird Tornado 200, complete.