Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

New ATV for Son! Few Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 08:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New ATV for Son! Few Questions...

I have been doing some serious lurking here for quite some time. I am a die hard woods bike guy and would love nothing more than to have a little KTM in the garage for my boy...but I know some battles are left unfought and this is one of them. My wife was ok with an ATV....but a bike is out of the question.

My boy has been on his little Chinese ATV for 3 years now. I have yet to put a dime in the thing and it still runs like new. Lots of yard time and trips to my folks farm...but he has the basics down well and is a good rider. He just turned 9.

So after some time here...I knew what I wanted.

I just got a "new" Manco ZSR-90. It was bought new and never used...seems there was a disagreement between husband/wife, so I wound up with a new quad for a song.

Anyway...I decided to go through it totally anyway.

First, this thing runs STRONG! I cannot believe how much power that little 90 puts down. I checked and it is made by Aeon?? Quality is top-notch and looks as nice as any big three I have seen. Looks just like the Dinli, Eton, Polaris etc...same parts etc. Now to the questions...

Oh, BTW, I do all my own wrenching...so dont mind jumping in.

1. First, I have premix around all the time. Can I just yank the oil resovoir and crimp the hose and run my normal 40:1? Is there an easier method?

2. Is this thing overly corked up from the factory?

3. Is the clutch engagement adjustable at all? I see all the roller kits etc available - is that what I need? It seems that it kicks in REALLY early off idle and I think a few more RPMs would yield a huge improvement.

4. Anything else as far as setup I am missing??

Any advice is greatly appreciated. He is really going to loe this thing. Very happy with the purchase.

Old 03-26-2007, 09:32 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats a good little quad there. It is the same as mentioned. My son rides a Unison Desert Cat 90. Same as above also. Great machine.

First off why would you take the oil injector off. The motors in these have been around since about 2000 and have been proven very reliable. With oil injection you have the right oil at the right throttle position. If you premix with these you risk fouling plugs expecially when they ride slow. 40:1 is great for mid to high speeds but at lower speeds it will not burn off quick enough. These motors dont get that hot. I understand you think it may be more reliable to premix but the failure rate with these is very few and far between.

The exhaust is restrictive in these. Usually there is a restrictor in the tip of the exhaust that can be taken out to flow more. Clutches are very tunable. You can also regear it for more bottom or top end.

Old 03-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info.

The clutch seems pretty straight forward. I may take a weight or two out and see how that works. If I like it, I will weigh then 4 remaining and get 6 that same weight. I assume this is the correct method?

As for the premix...I just dont trust mixers. There is just no way that thing can be accurate...plus all I ever have around is premix. All my engines are smokers.

Per the exhaust...I dont se anything obvious at the end. Are you talking at the header?? I will play with the silencer a bit. I dont want it much louder, but a little more breathing would be nice. That outlet is TINY.

The quad flat out rips. My wife put some time on it today and loved it. She didnt look big for it at all and it yanked her around quite well. Honestly...I think she would like another one the same size (she is under 100 pounds).

Oh...is there a transmission drain on these? Didnt see one, but I figure there has to be gears somewhere besides the rear of the CVT. Any help there and oil type is much appreciated.

Great site...lots of good info here.