Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Need help choosing an atv for sons birthday

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help choosing an atv for sons birthday

Have looked at many brands, Hensim, Kazuma, jetmoto, redcat, and many more. Looking for dependable machine with available parts and service when needed. A Dealer in Minnesota carries the Hensim brand and raves about it. I need help to make a decision. Any assistance would be very appreciated.

Thank you,

Todd[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-28-2007, 11:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Like I said in your other post. Check out Raceway.com. ANd the JetMoto brand. You wont find better service anywhere and JetMoto is by far the best Off brand atv you can get.

How old and how big is your kid? How much do you want to spend? Min and MAx!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

My son is 6. I am looking to spend $500 to $900 on his first atv as I know I will be upgrading in a year or two.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

I just got my son who is going to be turning 9 a 150Auto for under $1000 shipped to my house. It is the hybird (Yamoto) brand and I am extremely impressed with the quality for the price. You can do a google for Motor Xtremes. They have good prices. John from raceway is good but they need to carry the cheaper Yamoto brand too. I saved over $450 by going with this brand over Jetmoto. As nice...probable not....But for the money savings and what I needed...perfect. Auto was a must plus something that would last a long time.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

I looked up the Hensim brand and they appear to have the same look as the Yamoto brand. I think all these offbrand companys use the same 4wheeler ... just stick there own name on it. Looks like they are more expensive for the same thing that Moto Xtreme carries

Old 03-29-2007, 06:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Just so you know Yamoto no longer exists. If you got a Yamoto it is a left over. John has plenty of quads under $1000. I would recommend the MS125 or JM 110-125 . The JM may be a little big but the ms is perfect size for 5-8yo.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

Whats weird is my quad came with Yamoto stickers but was stamped with hy-bird on the frame..I think these are all one in the same. The Jetmoto's are just supped up version..Much better but a little more pricey. I would of went jetmoto but the automatic version, which was a requirement...was $450 more. That buys a lot of gas..well not really any more [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-30-2007, 10:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was going to buy a newer quad for my kid, I would buy a used 80-90 either Yamaha, Kawasaki, Honda, Polaris or something like that, They tend to hold their value better and will last longer.

Old 03-30-2007, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer

if you buy a chinese quad you will have ahard time selling it when he out grows it but for a few hundred dollars more than a hot wheels toy you have a real quad. one word of advice get one with a shifter for a little guy my son is 5 and he has a 70 cc red cat auto the problem with an auto is you cant slow them down you can adjust the throtel but when he goes down a hill look out the quad will still reach full speed. with a three speed you can put it in 1st or 2nd and take off the shift lever so the risk is gone

Old 03-31-2007, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

My daughter is 5 and is probably a little smaller than your son. I considered buying one of the dime store quads for my daughter until I borrowed one from my buddy. Do yourself and your son a favor, buy a quality, brand-name quad, even if you have to buy something used. You really do get what you pay for and for e few hundred ducks more you can have something that will last and that has nationwide easy to find dealer support. After letting my daughter ride the borrowed quad for about two hours and then seeing my other buddy's daughter on her new Polaris 50 and how nice it ran and how much better it was put together, I went straight to the Polaris dealer and bought my daughter a decent quad. My friend is always working on the 3 off-branders he bought, I just throw mine in the back of the truck and go riding. Read all of the horror stories, it's easy to see, these things aren't inexpensive, they're cheap.

You may not be able to afford a brand new name brand quad, but I'm sure you could find a nice later model name brand quad in your price range. A lot of times the smaller quads are in really good condition because the kid either lost interest or moved up to a bigger bike before tearing it up.

I have a Suzuki lt 50 that is over 20 years old and still runs great, do you think these cheap knock-offs will last that long? It has been beat on by more kids than I know, but it still starts with one pull. Do you think any of these Chinese manufacturers will be able to match that?

Quick Reply: Need help choosing an atv for sons birthday