Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT80 Easy way to take off Carb

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 06:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT80 Easy way to take off Carb

I havent come across this yet, if it has been addressed please point me in the right direction. Isnt there an easy way to get the LT80 carb. on and off i have the toughest time and I was just looking for some pointers.

Old 03-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Weekend Warrior

It is a real Pain In the Butt to get off. I took a wrench, (think it was a 3/8), and ground it down on a bench grinder so the open end was very thin. This allows you to get in there and crack it off easily. If you try and go the screwdriver route you'll need the PERFECT sized Philips, and believe me, my tool box didn't have any. This was the easiest way that I found. Good Luck!

Marty

Old 03-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help I'm going to do that tonight. I have my work cut out for me, I'm suppose to take the kids to sand mt. Easter in utah and both 80's are torn apart in my garage. One just needs to be put back together, just changes the swing arm bushings, probably should clean the carb as well. The other one filled up with gass I mean the airbox was full and the muffler float problem I guess so I ordered a carb kit. The bad thing is I was taking off the reed cage to check them out and it cracked one of the corners off I put my order in to bikebandit hopefully it comes in time to put it all back together. What a mess! Does anyone has an 80 that doesn't ever have something wrong with it? Seems to break everytime I go out. Any good reviews on that new 4 stroke suzuki 90?

I'm running the stock jet 92.5 at sea level and lower easter I'm going up to about 5,000 ft should I change anything or just try it out up there and see?

Old 03-30-2007, 02:53 PM
Trailblazer

that sounds like a good idea, grinding down a wrench. as for the gas and float problem. the stock petcock is junk. it will not shut off the gas. go to ebay, buy a banshee petcock and be done then you know your gas is shut off. im sure you can get them both done in time.
joe

Old 03-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I use a snap on 8mm. It's perfect for the carb, bad for the wallet (shorty about $18).. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
A small phillips is used also.
Remove the lower rubber piece that joins the air box to the carb so that's out of the way (I just bend it to the side).
The left side carb bolt don't need to come all the way out. The right one does.
Use grease/silicone/etc to hold the o-ring in the insulator (black piece) during installation.
Ya the petcock does let fuel by sometimes. The shee petcock will work but the tubes are bigger. I prefer a inline on/off valve for a cpl bucks.
Carb kit, in 13 years I haven't needed one.
That's my 2 cents. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2007, 02:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok well This bike was a mess when I got it. Found it while in a customers barn where they stacked the hay for the horses while i was on a delivery, asked the owner about it, said it wasn't his he couldn't sell it, at that time it was already a mess. 4 years later still delivering to the same place, and that darn LT is still sitting there same place. Only this time the guy was not paying his bill so i just took it, when i got it home the 1st thing i did was buy a battery and guess what I fueled it up and started driving about the block. Thats about the time 3 or 4 rats that were living in the air box and tranny started flying out, No joking....took about a year to git rid of that smell. I have had it for about 4 years now and boy is it fun, When I'm not trying to get it to run. (about 10 minutes after runing the bike the piston froze i took the head off and the piston was in about 5 pieces)

Okay new problem....I bought a new started relay my old one finally craked in half and melted a bunch of wires, so i just ordered the wiring harness as well so get all thr right connectors, plus the rats ate threw some of them so i just wanted to start fresh, Well i was just putting in on and i noticed there is and extra connector that i didn't have before...did some reasearch and it looks like in 2006 or about then they started putting circut breakers in them, well i dont have one, do i need to buy one to use this wiring harness now? how can I make this work. I just let it be empty for now but tried to start up my bike a few minutes ago and the brand new starter relay just clicks like my old one use to do once in awhile, though it was cause my battery was low so i threw the charger on and still no starter.. i bypassed the relay and gave the started power and that work but my new relay just clickes at me....?? so i was looking at my old wiring harness and noticed that all the plugs in the new wiring harness were opposite this new one and i was like great! so i rigged up a few wires and switched them in the order it was on my previous wiring harness, by the way my other wire harness worked fine the way it was plugged in until the melt down) anyways didn't work, so now i'm confussed about why its not starting which way the cables are suppose to go and this new circut breaker deal.... I go check out my buddies lt80 and his wiring harness was wired just like the new one I got, so for about 4 years my lt80 has been running with the wires all put in wron... now i try to make it all nice and look what i get.

SOMEONE HELP ME

Old 04-03-2007, 04:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

I got passed the hard part and now im at the other hard part.... INTAKE I have 2 lt80's got the one working fine finally today, the other one is giving me problems. let me know what it cold be!

The symptoms are:

when i give it gas it bogs down and slowly dies until i let off the throttle then to goes back to idle very well. since it only runs in idle it wont go anywhere the second i give it gas it wants to die.

What i've done so far:
when i put the choke on it allows it to rev a little better but does not completely fix the problem
i too off the air box hose going into the carb and covered it with my hand, the more i covered it the better it rev'd
i putt a larger jet in and that did not do anything.
changes my needle valve all the way up all the way down and second from top still no fix
i've taken the plug out and looked it's a little gunky but brand new i dont know what lean or rich plugs look like but i'd say it was still pretty clean.
ive been having this problem for a few trips out now but it is horrible now so i rebuilt the carb nothing changed
i heater the exahust and got the carbon deposits out new air filter

please anyone help me! i'm going out for easter tomorrow i'm going to take it reply to this post i am able to get this website on my phone so i'll be able to read your replies

thanks

Old 04-03-2007, 08:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Take the carb off the running LT to eliminate that aspect. Another fella recently had a bad carb.It's rare but does happen.
After that, switch coils to check that.
If that's good, I'd say it's the stator. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

When you remove the carb and go to put it back in....make sure that the throttle assembly is a). Put together properly, the needle should be spring loaded, if not you will need to take the spring out and put the mechanism back together so that the needle is back under the washer, b). put the throttle back together BEFORE inserting the carb, once together you'll be able to test and make sure that it is working by looking inside the carb, you should be able to see the choke functioning properly. When I pulled the governer out of the carb on my son's the Throttle mechanism fell apart and I wasn't sure how to put it back together untill i got my hands on another lt80. The symptoms were very much like the ones you describe.

Marty

Old 04-03-2007, 10:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Okay I was just thinking I should be able to switch the carbs and see if that's the problem, but I have one working I don't want to risk putting them both out of commission for our trip. Anyways if it is either of those parts I'll have to order them so no since doing that till I get back. As for the throttle assembly everything is put together correctly, I wish it was that simple of a problem.

I was going to go to the shop today and buy a few jets I think that could really could be the problem, at least I want it to be cause that's the last easy fix [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] runs great until I give it gas, so that's the main jets fault. I bet its deeper but there's nothing wrong with hoping

Do I have to buy new carbs from the dealer? Or do they sell them somewhere else.

Thanks for your help so far

I love these forums

Quick Reply: LT80 Easy way to take off Carb