Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Hi Bird

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi Bird

hello everyone, iv read almost everything you guys have said and wow alot of things i didnt know but now i do. thanks alot. well my problem is i have to replace the master cylinder in my hi bird but now it wont bleed. i can bleed the master cylinder but as soon as i get the brake hose on there it sucks air back into the MC and i cant keep the air out. so therefor i cant even get fluid to the caliper to see if it still works after replaceing the pads. so if anyone can help me figure this brake bleeding suitation out i would greatly appriciat it. thanks.

oh yea i have had my hi bird since april and i love it with the exeption that once i got past the breakin time for the motor, well it just aint fast enough anymore. i ran out of gears!!!!! over all though i think it was wirth the money i paid

Old 08-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hi Bird

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: underwaterboy82

hello everyone, iv read almost everything you guys have said and wow alot of things i didnt know but now i do. thanks alot. well my problem is i have to replace the master cylinder in my hi bird but now it wont bleed. i can bleed the master cylinder but as soon as i get the brake hose on there it sucks air back into the MC and i cant keep the air out. so therefor i cant even get fluid to the caliper to see if it still works after replaceing the pads. so if anyone can help me figure this brake bleeding suitation out i would greatly appriciat it. thanks.

oh yea i have had my hi bird since april and i love it with the exeption that once i got past the breakin time for the motor, well it just aint fast enough anymore. i ran out of gears!!!!! over all though i think it was wirth the money i paid</end quote></div>

two things first you don't remove the brake lines, you pump the master brake cylinder by using the hand lever , that should build pressure up, then on the caliper there's a bleeder valve, this takes 2 people, one to pump up pressure and hold the brake lever the other person to loosen the caliper bleeder valve, so what you do is build up pressure if you can then hold it while the other person loosen the bleeder valve to let the air out, keep doing this until 100% brake fluid comes out the bleeder valve, second way to do this is with a vacum brake bleeder, hook the bleeder on the caliper bleeder valve, create a vacume with the brake bleeder then open the bleeder valve, keep doing this until all air out of the line

Old 08-24-2007, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hi Bird

Hi guys, took the new Hi Bird 150 for its first little spin last night. It started right up. Kind of rough riding. I see what XO means by the front brakes being weak. Do they get better with a little break-in? I think I've lock-tited everything that could come loose. I may need to vent the tank; after riding a few minutes I opened the gascap and it sounded like a vacuum had formed. Thanks for all the info. XO your report was invaluable. We'll see how it goes with a little time on it.

Pete

Old 08-27-2007, 11:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hi Bird

Hey gang, I have about five plus hours on my 200 now. Here are some things others might want to look for: 1) After just a few rides I noticed the chain tensioner bending. I fabricated a bracket that runs from on side (tensioner) to the other and that fixed the problem. However, ensure your chain is tracking or you will continue to throw your chain off. 2) Thumb was getting tired due to the odd angel the trottle was in. I rotated the control so that the thumb throttle is facing more upwards. I rode with some Jap ATV's and they are all in that position. Much better now that it's changed. 3) Vented gas cap is a must. We were riding and the 200 keep dieing. I noticed every time I checked the gas the 200 would run well again. I left the cap loose and had no more problems. 4) I stripped the screw that holds the choke on. Heads up there's not much here to hold it in. So, now I have zip ties holding everything in place. 5) We were riding in very thick mud and I ended up knocking the front sprocket cover completely off. You don't really need it so if this happens to you just carry it home and put it on your work bench to hold down important papers. 6) Added an hour meter and would recommend everyone does the same. OK, hope this helps you guys a bit.

Ride Free,
Doug

Old 08-29-2007, 10:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hi Bird

We've run about a tank of gas through our 150. It leaned out a couple times too, so venting the gascap is definitely needed. Only other issues is blowing the fuse under the seat and brake light on all the time, which may be related. It's probably the switch to the front brakes since I don't hear it click like the switch on the rear brake. I just disconnected the tail light for now. We're not riding in traffic! When I find the plug for the front brake switch I think I will disconnect it. I also probably need to add a little more toe-in to the front end. It has that twitchiness at high speeds. So far fun to ride.

Pete

Old 08-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hi Bird

I forgot but I also had to adjust the tow end (twice). You might find that the bike will track better if you don't run it completely out straight.

Ride Free,
Doug

Old 08-31-2007, 02:59 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hi Bird

Hi all,

Newbie here. I just posted the below under Seadawg's long chinese inspector post, but maybe could get some help here. Trying to be smart and do as much research before buying my first quad/motorcycle at 33. Yes, 33.

"New member here. Have hunted on foot the last 5 years and would like to upgrade, but have never owned a bike. Have ridden a few friend's bikes. Am a moderate wrencher. Was looking at the Hi-Bird 200's or possibly a 150 Auto and then found this Vbike 250 with racks on Ebay. Could someone take a look at these pics and give their best guess opinion on parts and build quality? (for what you can get from pics.) I've read some good things in my research so far about Vbike. Can anyone tell if this is a Rocketa or Komoto or ...? "

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...220144598231QQtcZphoto

Old 08-31-2007, 03:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hi Bird

I was really close to the hibird 200 then saw KC's post about the 150 being a really solid torquey quad for an auto and then found vbikes 250 with racks on ebay. I've read so much in the last week and tonight that my eyes are bugging out. All of these quads are starting to really look alike.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:42 AM
Pro Rider
Default Hi Bird

masterman,
you can't go wrong with dealing with Tim at vbike.I have delt with him a couple of times and he has been very curtiouse to deal with.As for the ATV your looken at
pretty sharp looken bike.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Hi Bird

I just noticed that there are 2 types of Hibird 200's. One with Dual front A-arms and one a little less with single A-arms. the single looks a little stronger/thicker metal and better welds. Anyone have any experience with both? Or can I get some feedback from people who have one or the other. Here are the links with pics. each has different plastic and lights, etc. both at anam.

<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290155033500&ssPa geName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019
">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...:MEWA:IT&ih=019
</a>

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...me=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

Quick Reply: Hi Bird