Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

05 LT 80 just dies

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 02:32 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 LT 80 just dies

Originally there was no low end. Inspected the clutches and compressed them a few times and it ran great. After a few rides and one tumble sideways it is now dying (like it runs out of gas). After this occurs the reset under the seat can actually pop when attempting to restart. Thinks that's because it stalls when clutch is fully engaged.

I removed the carb, cleaned bottom of carb (little bit of dirt), removed gas tank and cleaned. When draining the tank the only time gas would come out of the line is when I had the pitcock set to prime. No gas would come out when set to "on". Thinking that this could be part of the problem. Although it still stalls when set to the prime position. Usually only stalls when going up hill full throttle. Ran around a while with little throttle and didn't stall (maybe didn't run long enough).

Is it flooding or is it not getting enough gas? Bad pitcock? Other ideas? Appreciate it.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

The petcock is fine. it operates on vaccum. On is off when the motor isn't making vaccum. Prime is just that and fuel should run out the tube when in this position.
You didn't mention removing both jets and cleaning. If you didn't do that, I'm thinking that is the problem. Pilot jet prolly. VERY small holes.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-25-2007, 11:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

I cleaned out the carb again and took out the pilot jet. It didn't look plugged, but there is something else. When I tore apart the clutch this most recent time there was a small piece of metal with some rubber connected to it in the casing. I don't know what it is. After cleaning the carb again I test rode and it seems to run, but there was metal noise again. I took off the small side casing on the clutch and took it for a ride with it off. The noise came back and I stopped. Another piece popped out onto the footpeg. What is going on. These parts look identical like a squared off half moon almost like a 1/2 inch brake shoe with rubber. Any ideas? I don't want to keep testing to resolve the issue with it running out of gas until I figure this out. Am I loosing weights or something from the clutch?

Old 07-26-2007, 09:32 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Wow. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
This calls for removal and inspection of the front and rear clutchs. Obviously something is wrong in there eh.
Once apart you can compare it to a Zuki parts fiche to see what's wrong. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-28-2008, 11:28 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 05 LT 80 just dies"></title><script src=

My kids have been enjoying both LT's (50 & 80). A couple questions that I wasn't able to get answered from the forums.
- Does the LT80 have a power band? If so, is it like a YZ80 powerband or just the range of power over the rpm's? I saw a note where someone said it would hit a powerband. This 80 just runs good, but it doesn't put you on your back. I'm asking for future reference. It's not needed right now.
- Would the #70 from stock 55 jet help on low end for the 50? She climbs some hills only if she has momentum. She weighs 40lbs. I'd like to get some life out of it for her since she is little.
- Last item - I was checking out a new CanAm 90DS and it was sweet. I would love to get some tires similar to what it has for the 80. Any recommendations? The least expensive the better.

Thanks again for your help.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

Your LT80 is doing what it was intended to do. No, it doesn't have a powerband surge like a YZ/CR/etc...
To get a better holeshot, you can cut the rear shoes down and remove a roller or 2. Shaving the head to give a lil more compression makes them run more efficient. You can also go down to a 90 main jet w/o problems too.
Sorry, no 50 info. I had one. It'd run hour after hour TILL we went to the track. It then did exatly what yours is doing. Mine simply went away. How about a nice eton 40 or 50cc. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
This thread has grey hair..LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]