Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

giovanni !!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default giovanni !!)

hey there I was wondering if anyone knew if there was a place to put gear oil in or maybe drain it??? I drained oil as shipping oil may not be good quality... when I did this I pulled the 14mm bolt(plug) out of the bottom and a spring and a cylinder with orfice's came out... not the right one for the oil... put back in and found the 17mm plug and drained the oil. My question is if maybe I drained some oil that I shouldn't have??? do they have gear oil or is it just the 15-40??

Old 08-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer
Default giovanni !!)

Hi,

Well, that other bolt just drains the motor oil too, so no big deal if you put it back in properly. You're supposed to use 4-stroke motor oil that is wet clutch compatible (such as motorcyle oil). I use the Amsoil synthetic 4-stroke oil for motor sports. I know some of these quads require separate gear oil and others do not. Which Giovanni quad did you get? I have the 150cc quad with the gy6 engine and with that one you are suppose to change the oil in the tranny box as well. It has a separate drain plug on the tranny box. The best thing to use in there is 80w-90 gear oil. Also, you can use it to change the reverse gear box oil as well.

I do have another 70cc chinese quad and that one doesn't take any separate gear oil. It just gets the 4-stroke motor oil (I give it the amsoil too) and that's it.

Old 08-29-2007, 09:36 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default giovanni !!)

sorry I didn't mention what it is!! It is a 110 cc and I wouldn't know what the engine family is... Not much in the info book provided, and the web site is still up and coming. Be nice to have some sort of repair manual... just fly by the seat of my pants I guess!!

Old 08-29-2007, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default giovanni !!)

It is recommended that with the centrifugal clutch not to use
synthetic oil or a synthetic blend as it is to slick, and could cause
premature failure of the clutch lining. In the summer
or in hot climate you should use a 15w-40 or 20w-50 motor oil and in
cold or cool climate use a 10w-30 or 10w-40 conventional motor oil

this came right out of the owner's manual, do not a syntheic oil on your 110.

Old 08-29-2007, 05:49 PM
Trailblazer
Default giovanni !!)

OK, so you have the 110cc mini hummer? I'm quite sure that one does not need separate gear oil, just the motor oil. Bill is right for the most part, except that now you can get synthetic oil specially designed for the 4-strokes with the continuous variable transmission. The Amsoil 4-stoke synthetic oil I was talking about is made for wet-clutch applications and is very suitable for your quad as well. The local dealer I've bought from recommends that his customers only use this oil for best results and he sells the 110 mini hummer (after break-in period, of course).

You know there is actually a forum just for gio quads. I think it's www.giovanniforum.com or something like that. There is a sub-forum dedicated to the mini-hummer there, so check it out.

OffRoadNoob

Old 02-14-2009, 08:06 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default giovanni !!)"></title><script src=

Hi,

Ive got a Giovanni Gy6 atv. Its 150cc. I have been riding it for about a YEAR NOW without doing any maintainance. Lots of smoke started coming out the exhaust, after a month it stopped so i started riding it again. If you could pleasehelp me on what to do to it.

Can u please send me some pics of where the bolts are on the atv where the motor oil comes out of.

Also, what are all the oils that need to be changed. Whats the tranny box or rear axle oil? Wheres the air filter. can u please update me on some of this info.

just explain to me what i need to do to get it into good condition again thanks.

This will be greatly appreciated?

Old 02-14-2009, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer

Here's a 110 owners manual.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:41 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: pocketrocket

..Ive got a Giovanni Gy6 atv. Its 150cc. I have been riding it for about a YEAR NOW without doing any maintainance...

Can u please send me some pics of where the bolts are on the atv where the motor oil comes out of...</end quote></div>

Yikes. This is totally screwing up. You know that, right? I assume you do since you capitalized the "YEAR NOW" part.

You are supposed to change the oil after 1 hour of operation (read again: one hour, not one year). Then again at 5 hours. Then every 15 hours of operation. There is no oil filter in these machines. The only way to get out the break in debris and normal wear debris is changing the oil.

OK. Here is a link to a You Tube video on changing the oil on a GY6 scooter. The Gy6 quad procedure is the same (and oil change between 50cc and 150cc engines are the same). There are multiple parts, this is a link to part 1:

Changing oil video

You need to get yourself a GY6 engine service manual. There are lots available, though they are not specifically for a quad. The engine is identical to many buggies and scooters, and for some reason they do a better job of documenting what they sell than do quad vendors. Here is a one stop shop for free buggy service manuals (including several Gy6 engine manuals):

A bunch of manuals (including GY6)

Old 02-25-2009, 08:11 AM
Range Rover

i can hear that engine scream and wheeeeze every time its started......rev it hard to warm it up?...oh dear!?!?!?! and people complain that chinese quads are bad.you pay your money and need to look after it dude