Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

need help with starter again, please

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 09:26 AM
Trailblazer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default need help with starter again, please

I'm still having problems starting my sons atv. I thought i had it fixed and i took the plate cover off to put some RTV on it to seal it and when i got it back together the starter would just spin. Short story is that he put it in the mud turned it off and it wouldnt start. the starter would just spin. Took off the case cover and it was full of mud so i cleaned it out put it back together and it started right up. Next day doing the same thing. heres the link to the first post null
How does the starter work???? in the picture the chain is spinning does it ingage the center hub? the hub does turn by hand, Does it need to be lined up right? I see a nutch on the outside and a arrow and numbers. it feels like the coils are working because it pulls like a magnet when i put on the cover on(what do they do). What does the small chain engage to turn the hub? The only thing i did is put some chain oil on the small chain after i got it started last time. I spent 5 hours trying to figure it out last night and now Im at a lost please help.

Name:  IMG_3406.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  59.7 KB

Name:  IMG_3406.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  59.7 KB

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_3406.jpg (59.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 09-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Trailblazer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is everyone taking the weekend off?? I talked to a friend and he said i need to remove the flywheer and clean behind it . He said that when the chain spins it catches the flywheel but there is probley mud/dirt/rust from getting wet and it wont release. So im going to try that but how do i remove the fly wheel? I got the center bolt off and i guess i need to get a puller from the auto store but do i have to remove the 3 hex bolts? I tried and i cant get them loose. Are they reverse thread? It would be nice to hear from some that has done this before.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is little rollers with springs behind and inside the flywheel. take the flywheel off and make sure the rollers are clean like your friend said. also make sure that they are not chipped or the springs arent worn out. heck its chinese...make sure they are still there period

Old 10-01-2007, 11:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oh and the flywheels on these are usually loose enough to where u can pop them off with two pry bars