Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Polaris Sportsman 90 Modifications?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 08:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Sportsman 90 Modifications?

I just purchsed (2) leftover 06 Polaris Sportsman 90's from my local dealer (after dad placed his order for a Ranger 700 xp [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ). My kids will love them but I think in a short time they will get bored with the speed of the stock unit. I'm content to leave them this way for awhile until I'm certain that they have the skills to control them at higher speeds.

Is there an easy way to increase the performance? I know I can buy an aftermarket CDI but some other brands have ways of modifying the stock units. Is there a way to add or remove a pin in the CDI or remove a spacer from the trans pulley?

Appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!

Old 11-23-2007, 09:12 AM
Pro Rider

sp 90 and predator 90 should be the same motor checked around couldnt find a pipe for a sp90..www.hetrickracing.com has tons of mod parts for a predator90.

you could put a high rev cdi and a clutch kit and change out the stock airfilter to uni filter that would wake them up.

check out there site for some ideas and give them a call they will be able to help.

hoyt

Old 11-23-2007, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider

Go on ebay and search for 2R racing, which is the store. They have a billet power tip for the exhaust pipe. Simple swap. Its $45 dollars with shipping and well worth the money. It really helped my sons Outlaw 90. Says it fits Outlaw or Sportsman 07-08. Yours is 06 but if its that oval shape it will fit. I copied the link to that page. Check out his store if that one won't fit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Power-Tip-...ryZ43978QQcmdZViewItem

Old 11-23-2007, 11:55 AM
Pro Rider

I also had to take off the throttle cable cover, and adjust the cable itself to make sure it had full throttle. I have been searching everywhere for mods for this 90 with no luck. I have posted 3 different times for help and nobody knows anything.
Let me know if you happen to find anything.
Good luck,
Ed Katt

P.S.,
A Predator 90 is a two stroke.

Old 11-23-2007, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

There is suppose to be some type of limiter underneath the front end plastic. Its suppose to be a little white plastic box. "remove the screws and remove the piece of metal in between the 2 peices of white plastic and put back together." Did not try it yet., probable won't until spring. I have seen the white plastic attached to the frame under the front end plastic up near the lights. Heard this info from 2 different sources at a ATV store where I purchased the Outlaw.

Old 11-23-2007, 08:51 PM
Pro Rider

i thought they switched them to four strokes my bad! who makes the motors?on the outlaw?

change the air filter to a uni filter, find a high performace cdi and change the roller weights possibly

Old 11-23-2007, 09:26 PM
Pro Rider

scrambler 90 s had a rev limiter you had to un plug. not sure about the outlaw.

try www.atvscource.com kidsatv forums

see if you can get a # for billy at whr racing i cant find a # but i read he has messed around with these.

Old 11-23-2007, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

I have seen that box underneath the front. I'll have to try that.

Old 11-24-2007, 02:50 PM
Pro Rider

It's a 2 stroke. A good clutch kit will grip the belt better and make it a little better off the line. The cdi cant be de restricted but you can get a new one for less than $20 shipped and regear to a 28 or 30 tooth rear sprocket for more top speed. A pipe like the hotseat one works well for them but they'll rip you a new one overcharging you for everything for a mini. Red rear clutch spring,red engagement springs, and lighter rollers cost $60 or so from everybody else but they wanna get you for $135.

Old 11-24-2007, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'll have to look these over when I get them home. These are 4-strokes which I prefer...just personal preference.

Quick Reply: Polaris Sportsman 90 Modifications?