Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

LT 80 Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT 80 Won't Start

Well my sons LT won't start...I bought a new battery...still wont' start. Checked the fuses and they are fine..Checked the little thinga ma bob on the back with the reset switch and it seems fine. Any other ideas? How about the off/run switch? Any way that can be checked? It sat up for 6 months or so. It was running when it was parked. Any way to check the coil..anyone know what it should ohm? Thanks for any help given.

Old 12-24-2007, 01:39 AM
Range Rover

You'll need to give a little more info. Does it turn over? Is it just not firing?

Old 12-24-2007, 02:07 AM
Range Rover

I've torn alot of stuff like this apart only to realize the brake wasn't set or the kill switch was in the off position (on my Polaris). Should be able to check for power at the switch with a test light or volt meter. Assuming that it isn't cranking over.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:07 AM
Range Rover

I've torn alot of stuff like this apart only to realize the brake wasn't set or the kill switch was in the off position (on my Polaris). Should be able to check for power at the switch with a test light or volt meter. Assuming that it isn't cranking over.

Old 12-24-2007, 11:31 AM
Pro Rider

It does nothing...doesn't turn over. Dead like a batter...it doesn't even click like it's the starter...I thought about the brake but it is set just fine.

I will start from the beginning. I took my sons quad to the dunes the last time it was out and forgot the key...well I bypassed the key by connecting the the two ignition wires. Well it ran fine like that. Well yesterday I reconnected the key switch and put a new battery on but it won't turn over. I connected the two wires with a splice connector. I took it off but am wondering if this might have done something... the wire insulation is the only thing that was compromised in the connection. I then taped up the spot where the splice connector was. I get 13 volts at the key switch but am not sure where to measure voltage at the handlebar run switch.? I did also have a blown fuse which I replaced but still won't start...any ideas?

Old 12-24-2007, 05:37 PM
Range Rover

What I would try (how many bad ideas started with that phrase) is jumping the starter right off of the battery. You know, unplug the red and white lead on the starter. It is located under the seat right by the gas tank. Should be a relatively large kinda recangular white clip with a havey guage red wire and white stripe and the wire will be zip tied to the frame. Anyway jam a lenth of wire into the clip and the other end to the positive side of the battery. It should crank. The ground is on the battery of course. My daughters is apart and the starter is on my bench. I just tried it and it worked. I had to run a ground lead to the starter body because it is on my bench but....I would try that.

Old 12-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

Well i found the problem...there was a wire that had broken out of a wire plug coming from the handlebar switch. problem solved..thanks for you help BDF.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default My lt80 wont turn

Hi, I don't know if I will get an answer to this but my Suzuki LT80 won't start. I push the start button and it goes click instead of it turning.(well after a couple of 'clicks' it stopped going 'click' and doesn't make any noise at all now) I tried pulling it to see if the starter was stuck and that wasn't it. Before the clicking noises started, when the starter turned the whole quad started to roll forward. Which was weird since I was uphill. I think it might be the starter's clutch or there is something stuck in it like a rock. thanks.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
Push the red button under the right rear fender. That should make it click again.
If it rolled forward, there is a clutch problem. You'll need to get into them and do some maintenence.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default My lt80 wont turn

I'll see what I can do, the little quad is over in another state so when I get back I'll tear it apart and see what I'll do, when it rolled it it acted like a kick start that was in gear

Quick Reply: LT 80 Won't Start