Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

HI Bird and BMX feedback

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HI Bird and BMX feedback

Before I begin with my overview - I would never buy from AMANCYCLES. My advise is to stay away from them. Very poor service after you purchased.

I recently purchased 2 HI BIRD Quads and a BMX. The HI BIRDS are the QH-250ST and QH-150ST and the BMX is the 110 (smallest version for my 4 year old).

Why I purchased Chinese: I first bought the Razor electric quad for son and he loved it but the battery would die after about 1/2 hr of ues, which did not please my son very much. We decided to buy the chinese quad for the price and honestly we were not sure how much we would use it. He is growing like a weed so we also thought this he'd outgrow this thing in no time

BMX 110 - It took me about 4 hrs. (I just took my time). Once it started up, I was immediatly surprized with how nice it was in looks, preformance, the tight engine, fit and fiish (although it took me a couple of hrs to figure out I had to hold in the break to get it started). It only cost me about $510 with shipping to my door.

Obversation - We've had it for a couple of months it it starts evertime and is a kick to ride, which makes both my son and I very pleased

For the HI-BIRD 250 - After I saw how much fun my son was having and the quality of my son's BMX, I bought one form myself - the HI-BIRD 250. I debated back and forth between the chinese and the Suzuki 450. Due to the price (1K vs almost 7 out the door) and again not sure how much we would use it I obviously bought the HI Bird. I put it together in a couple of hrs and it took about an hr to get it started. Once I got it started it took ran like a rattle trap. It viberated so much and was so clanky I thought "oh well there is a waist of time and $", but I still rode it. After a couple of hrs the engine died. After some undeducated analysis, I discovered the tank was not venting right so I put a venting tube in the gas cap which seems like it solved that problem (but more to come).

After a couple of days it would not start. Fortunatly I found someone close by that worked on it. They discovered that the Valve was stuck and quickly fixed it as well as changed the spark plug, and adjusted the carb. Now that helped out a lot. It still viberates but runs like a champ. I took it out to the mud and washed it afterwords. After washing it I could not get it to start. I let it sit overnight then started up the next day.

Preventative maintenance is big for me, so I changed the oil after about 5 hrs of use. What a mess - I have never had such a difficult time changing oil. First the skid plate is right under drain plug and even though it has holes on the bottom it is not right below the drain plug so it poured all over the skid plate and basically all over the place. Refilling it was also a challenge. I had to take off the heat protector (which I hated the looks anyways so left it off - going to put the heat tape on the pipe). While taking off the head sheild, I noticed that the spark plug wire was resting on the exhaust pipe, and yes it melted it. Fortunatly I think I cought it before it burned through. I also noticed that the ball joints were dry and the bolts were loose (the cheap Axx carter pin broke off). Checked all the bolt and found may have loosen (and yes some fell off). The back brake binds constantly (I was getting tired working on it so much and just wanted to ride so after adjusting it a bunch of times I disconnected it). I still have to try to figure out how to fix.

Obversation - I like the look and now the preformance of the 250 but find myself running in the power trap, in that I wish i could increase the power but cannot find any parts for it. After my readings the Jet and exhaust should help, but cannot find the parts. Overall I would buy the quad again for the kinda riding I do, but wish I could ride it more and work on it less.

Feedback about the Seller - I find AMANCYCLES to be useless. They will not take calls nor will they return Emails. From what I heard most of the internet guys are like that with few exceptions.

Suggestion if you want to buy an adult quad. Seek out a better place to buy (even if you have to pay a little more). I would also buy the quad with all the upgrades already) such as the Hell Kat... At least it advertizes well in www.bargainquads.com.

150 Quad - this is for my wife. It does not get ridden very often but starts up every time and very easy to ride. One item I have to work out is the smell. I reaks of gas all the time. Cannot find any leaks but I have to leave the garage door open 1/4 way to keep the smell out. Don't want that smell in my new Mustang. The 150 is a good toot around quad but I find it to be boaring and yes it viberates like crazy.

Summary - Smells bad and is too underpowered for \ my taste. Viberates too much but has a better fit and finish than my 250.

Old 02-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the feedback.Sorry about your service after the sale.In the past I was under the impression that amancycle was a pretty decent dealer but maybe that was just low price and not sevice.

Old 02-10-2008, 03:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

New to the forum, just wanted to know if there were any suggestion on why my new Hi bird 250's are so guttless. They start and run fine, just not very much power. Fourth gear on these things is useless. I get no more power and no more speed when shifting into fourth gear. These are very nice bikes and I don't want to get rid of them. Anything I can do?

Old 02-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

Did you check you back break? One of my problems is the back break hangs up on me (Where the top of the shaft connects with the clamp wobbles and seems to bind which causes the back break to stay engaged). I think I have this solved by putting a top nut on so it will not bend and shorting the bottom for proper alignment. Hopefully this is your problem since it is an easy fix.

Update. We were riding Saturday and noticed my wife's back wheel was loose. After reviewing, I saw both my wife's and my back wheels were about ready to loose the lug bolts on once side. I replaced all the log bolts with new ones (10x1.25) and put flat and lock washers on each side. I also noticed the chain tighner and the sprocket bolts were loose. Replaced with higher quality bolts, loc tight and loc washers and bolts where space allowed.

I am learning that safe = checking the bolts after every ride.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

does wny body know of a place that sells parts of the BMX atvs??? if so please email me at jefflaverty@***.net i need a 7 wire remote box for my kids bmx 90cc

Old 03-10-2008, 01:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

helpfull tip for anyone buying a chinese atv new in a crate:
just like a dealer who is buying a new yamaha, honda, kawasaki etc.... befor they sell the product to a customer they must prep and set up the atvs from the crate. they inspect and adjust everything on the products befor letting them out the door. what i am trying to exsplain to all of the people buying chinese atvs in a crate is to take the extra time to go threwly and make sure all bolts are tight, cables are adjusted corectly, carb is in tune etc..... dont be in a rush!!!!! take the extra time to prep ur new purchase befor going on ur first ride. people who say they have prep time of only two hours are the ones who will have the most problems with their new atv purchase. another helpfull prep tip is to use loc tite on all loose bolts including the lugs on ur rims.
if you had a yamaha shipped in a crate from the factory to ur door im sure u would have many problems like most people have when buying a chinese atv.
im not saying the quality of a chinese atv is the the same as jap atvs. but if u take the extra time in prepping ur new purchase u should have a good product for the price you paid.
make sure you do some homework befor buying just any chinese atvs on line. some appear to be better then actully are in real life.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

to fix your back break you need to cut the break shaft at the back turnbuckle about a half inch off of it. when you put it back on make sure you have a little slack in the peddle, same thing happened to mine and my daughter in laws and that fixed them. now you help me , lol, we need a intake valve and head gasket for ours and don't know where to get them. atv dealers here won't even look for it because it is chinese. thanks bert

Old 04-01-2008, 10:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

I haven't had any problems with AnAm Cycles whatsoever. Whenever I call, they answer - and when my chain broke on the very first run, they sent me a new one for free.

We just got back from riding on the Hatfield-McCoy trails in West Virginia, and I really put my QH-250ST through the ringer - it came through great. Yes, bolts loosened up, but I didn't do what the tech guy at AnAm told me to do - loc-tite and retorque the bolts - but nothing broke, and it runs fantastic!

It's funny, it took a while for the Hi Bird to warm up, but so did my wife's Honda 400EX, and my son's Yamaha 200 blaster wouldn't idle - he had to kick start it everytime he stopped. I was the one carrying the tools/water/map on my backpack, and I just put the HiBird in neutral, locked the parking brake, and it idled just fine. Keep in mind, we changed altitudes regularly and dramatically on the trails in West Virginia, and my 'Bird still performed well.

As for vibration - holy crap, it's a 4-stroke ATV for cryin out loud - not a cadillac - I defy you to find one that doesn't rattle even a little. For the $$ I paid for this - shipped to my door - I'm thoroughly impressed - we're goin riding again in a week or so, and back to the HM trails in WV this fall - I'll report back then

Old 04-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I hear the 08 is better than my -06. So far I've had problems with nuts and stuff but also running and I even cracked my frame (and not at the weld spot, the actual metal cracked after only 2 months). Now I love my quad, it is a kick in the pants to ride, but I like to ride and not work on the bike so much. I am only 175 and I am 43 years old so between my age and weight, I don't think I put on too much stress on the bike. I think I give up. I'll keep the quad but will prob invest in a Jap quad [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 04-19-2008, 10:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah - I can understand - I think the Chinese manufacturers are suffering from the same "new to the business" problems associated with any industry. Trouble is, there's already so many good quad makers out there, the bar is set pretty high and people expect more right away - and there ain't nothin wrong with that. I do wish there was a way for us to send feedback to the manufacturers on a consistent basis so they know what we're going through and can fix manufacturing probs more quickly.
Week before last, I took the plastics off my Hi Bird and loctited everything - even the engine mount nust and bolts (which were locking-type anyway), and replaced some that I thought could be stronger. I also added rubber grommets to the gas-tank mounts - just a preventative measure to stave off cracks, and replaced the handlebars with a set that has a more comfortable bend.
I'm also going to add some wheel spacers in the back and front (2-1/2" to each side) to give it a wider stance, and play with the spanner-nuts on the shocks to see if I can lower it a bit.
I'll keep posting about problems or fixes that I have.
Thank you for your feedback, too, dude - good luck with yer quad(s)

scott

Quick Reply: HI Bird and BMX feedback