Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

ATV for 5 yr old

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV for 5 yr old

Looking for advice for a first ATV for a 5 year old.
At that age, would a Peg Perego Polaris electric be a better/safer route than a 50-90 cc gas china ATV?
If a gas is purchased, I would want to limit the speed- but I've heard that if one limits the speed to 5-10 mph then it won't pull up even a mild slope- which the electric will.
On the other hand, if a gas will give some room for growth over the next few years, that sounds like the best option if the low speed setting is a myth.
Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Old 03-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV for 5 yr old

my 2.5 year old rides a redcat mpx50. I have it set at 5 mph. leave it in first gear and let him ride. as for not having enough power. with it limited at that speed it has more than enough power to pull me around through the snow(4") and climb out any hill around. oh by the way Im 6 ft 2 and 300lbs. have no problems with not enough power. but then again alot of people will say to buy a top four name brand. so good luck with the confusion

Old 03-23-2008, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default ATV for 5 yr old

the gas is a better long turm quad that will last him alot long than a electic. ntm they seem to like to be on them alot when out there and it is kindof hard to charge them out there.

Old 03-23-2008, 11:19 PM
Range Rover
Default ATV for 5 yr old

If you get a "fully auto" quad, they do have issues with power when limited down to below 10 mph. They have crappy gearing from the manufacturer. My sons single speed quad will run upwards of 40 mph with my big **** on flat ground. The lowest that I throttle down on my sons "auto" and he still be able to get over rough terrain and have power for climbing mild hills lets him run 20 mph on flat ground. Any less throttle and I'm constantly having to help him over obstacles and up hills. If you get a quad like onebigjz has, you can stick the quad in low gear and the low gearing will keep the speed under control while allowing the torque of the motor to power over/through stuff. But nearly all of the Chinese youth ATVs are auto.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:35 AM
Trailblazer
Default ATV for 5 yr old

Two years ago when my son was just 3 I got him a John Deere Gator by Peg. We still have it and he still rides it. For a little kid it is just fine around the yard. He has had a lot of fun with it. But to purchase one for a five year old may be a poor choice. The battery life is probably in the 3-5 hour range depending on the amount of gravel road to grass yard use. It has a 8+ hour charge time. On the road the plastic tires get no traction. Constantly is spinning and getting stuck in the middle of the street. The ride is rougher that a wagon. It is noisy as heck with the plastic tires scratching on the rocks. They don't move in snow at all. And the physical size is going to limit the length of time it is usable. I had one of the motors lockup as the cooling fins in it broke and I just removed the fan portion. Figured it may melt the motor, but it's already broke anyway. No further problems though. Also many people have problems with the throttle on/off switches and the reverse switches. Mine has been fine there.

I just gave him a Raceway Renegade 110 for Easter. First ride today (as its Easter). I have it limited down to around 10-11MPH on a sandy road. Will do 8MPH up hill and 13-14 downhill. When you are on another quad always looking back to make sure everything is OK, thats real slow. When we were turning around on the road he hit the graded edge and ended up polishing the side of his helmet on the ground. But a couple of tears he wanted to keep going and never had another problem again. Probably rode 6-7 miles today. The quad fits his size much better than the Gator does.

I recommend the gas ATV. But the ATV takes a little more time setting up and getting it adjusted just right so it is what you want. With a high end battery powered unit like Peg costing $250+ and a gas powered costing $6-700, it does cost a lot more. But add in another $50 for a second battery for the Peg and only getting one year before its too small your half way to getting the gas powered unit anyway. I'll be real frustrating for your son when he is always stuck and waiting for the battery to charge or for you to swap in a different battery.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:55 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV for 5 yr old

Yep
Understand your worry
purchased a Suzuki LT50 for my 5 yr old and he loves it
4 yr old rides it as well
Good balance, Governing and start
Decided to get a chinese as a 2nd bike but my sons are not as comfortable with it as it turns not as safe
Brakes are not as strong
I suggest a 2hd hnd big name as servicing a bike that children will outgrow is better than buying a new and not so safe
Cheers

Old 03-24-2008, 06:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default ATV for 5 yr old

Not Knocking any other brands just prefer Suzuki

Old 03-24-2008, 02:53 PM
Trailblazer
Default ATV for 5 yr old

Have you considered a go kart? They have a lower center of gravity so they will not tip. Most important is the five point safey harness. Check safety standards before you buy at FamilyGoKarts we have your safety in mind.