Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

giovanni 110cc starter draw

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 08:01 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default giovanni 110cc starter draw

hi looking for a bit of help. i bought a 110 giovanni quad for my little guy in november. i am not good at mechanical things in general. since i got the bike it doesnt seem to hold a charge very long . heres what i know. i have replaced the battery with 2 new ones (from an atv store exide). checked power from engine to stator ? and from there to battery power good. battery shows 12.4 v but heres the kicker when i turn headlights on battery drops to 11.4 volts not bad i think. BUTwhen i hit the starter button battery drops to a low 1.1 volts and instantly drains the battery. possible starter problem ? i have to boost the bike every time to start it. as long as booster cables are on starts 100% starter sounds good no abnormal noises. help!!!!! i hate to have to carry booster cables with me every where i go. oh if you drive the bike for about an hour and then stop in warm weatherr you get one chance to start it the second chance it will not go i dont know if there is an excessive drag or not but as lonfg as you dont shut it off it works fine

Old 05-06-2008, 02:44 PM
Range Rover

here's a couple of easy things i would do, next time when you start the quad, turn the key on like nornal then use a jump wire across the terimals on the starter solenoid, if that works, try it a couple of more times just to make sure, then if that to be the problem replace the solenoid, if the battery still drains, remove the starter and put it in a vice and run a battery to it, + to the terimal and - to ground, it should spin like an electric motor and just see how long it spins before the battery dies, if it dies pretty quickly then replace the starter.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have had a very similar problem with my giovanni 110cc. I have changed the batteries and they don't seem to hold there charge. However, the atv was working fine for several months without a boost. I went to start the atv on the weekend because i went to the cottage and it doesnt seem to work. The lights on the atv work fine but when i go and start the engine It makes a click sound and the engine doesnt even try to start. I emailed the guy who sells them and he said "You may need a new solenoid, Please bypass the solenoid and see if it starts". If I change it when the same part won't the problem just happen again? I bought the atv last winter so its fairly new, any help would be great.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 110 battery drainage

i have fought with this problem for over a year. The "help" staff from Giovanni are morons so do not expect anything there. Unfortunately the two guys that answer their hotline are the same that answer their emails.
I changed solenoids and rebuilt the starter but the battery persisted in draining. Their advice was to disconnect the battery after each ride! What I did was to install a simple toggle switch in the hot line off the battery to the starter. This way after starting the rider can flip the switch off and the engine will continue to run. Lights will work off the generator so you have no battery drainage. The rider just needs to learn to use the new switch.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:23 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by csublette
i have fought with this problem for over a year. The "help" staff from Giovanni are morons so do not expect anything there. Unfortunately the two guys that answer their hotline are the same that answer their emails.
I changed solenoids and rebuilt the starter but the battery persisted in draining. Their advice was to disconnect the battery after each ride! What I did was to install a simple toggle switch in the hot line off the battery to the starter. This way after starting the rider can flip the switch off and the engine will continue to run. Lights will work off the generator so you have no battery drainage. The rider just needs to learn to use the new switch.
Battery drainage problems when the quad is off are *very* easy to troubleshoot:

Turn off the quad, pop out the main fuse and insert a meter in it's place set to measure current on the 10 amp scale. If something is draining the battery you will see it immediately and know exactly how much drain current it is. Then you start unplugging connectors inthe wiring harness until it stops. Once you find the connector responsible you see what it connects to, and viola - you have a major clue.

If you don't see any current draining out of the battery, and you battery still goes dead then you have a bad battery.

But if you install a switch to disconnect the battery when the engine is running there is no way for the battery charging system to charge the battery back up. This guarantees that the battery will go dead unless you manually charge it up with a charger after every ride. The best approach would be to find and fix the problem and let the quad keep your battery charged up.