Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Helmet for a 2 year old?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet for a 2 year old?

I agree with the others about the light weight foam type bicycle head protector. When you do move up to a real fiberglass type kids atv helmet (?? age 4 or 5 ??) MAKE SURE that you get a foam neck roll protector. They sell ATV Motorcycle ones, but the sporting goods stores sell them for "peewee" football (but seem to only have them in stock during late Summer/early Fall. Personally, at that age (4 to 8 or 10), I think that the helmet is VERY dangerous without a neck roll protector. Not to scare anyone, but with the weight of a helmet and the size of a youth's neck muscles - if that helmet gets "whipped" - I fear of a broken neck. I make my grandson wear his any time he has his helmet on.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Range Rover

I take my 3.5 year old son out all the time and drive slowly and carefully. He also uses a foam helmet. I think enforcement officers can charge me for him not having an approved atv helmet. Pretty stupid if I'm not driving crazy. I can't find a light weight atv helmet for his head. I think they seem way too heavy for his body like the rest of you already stated

Old 05-22-2008, 12:18 AM
Trailblazer

I know at Walmart In the bicycle section they sell helmets that are full face and have the appearance of a dirt bike helmet. They are much lighter and only have the foam like a bicycle helmet. They may even be too heavy for a 2 year old. I am sure you are very careful with your son, but the helmet thing is tricky. hitting a bump with a helmet on him may actually jar his neck. Maybe get him his own electric powerwheels quad, I don't know If a 2 year old can drive one of them, maybe soon. My son started on one of them many years ago and he loved it.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys, this is my first post but on a subject I do know a little bit about.
My son is almost three and he rides with me sometimes on the trails and the creek. He does have a normal helmet but it is so light you really have to feel it to understand. It is an HJC youth xs/s. It has the bar around front like a dirt bike helmet. He has never said anything about it hurting his neck or head and he actually likes wearing it. My opinion is to always wear a helmet yourself because sure as you don't, that is the day they will stop wanting to wear one too. "Daddy doesn't wear one so I don't want to either" Can you hear your child saying that now?LOL

Just make sure they have something on their head and watch your trail, a little bump to us is a big hit to them. If you think the spot is too bad, make them get off and go through own your own, and then walk them past the bad spot.

Nice to meet you all and I hope to learn a little more about the sport we all love.

Keep your head up and the rubber down!