Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Poor, medium, and high quality Chinese ATVs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 12:54 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor, medium, and high quality Chinese ATVs...

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: OffRoadNoob

ChineseATVmechanic, I'm surprised to hear you say that. I've read some of your posts and you seem very knowledgeable about these quads. However, I've seen the difference in quality between a good Chinese quad and a poor quality Chinese quad. The Sunl frames seem to be made out of cast iron or something. lol. They just break so much easier than a quad made by Loncin or other better Chinese ATV brands.

It sounds like most of you agree that there is some difference between the different chinese brands. A good point was brought up that the service after the sale is also a very important aspect. I think that's why a company like Jetmoto is near the top and one like SunL is at the bottom.

TwoBoys, I would absolutely not put Giovanni in the same bottom category as SunL, Asun, or Redcat. I've just seen too many nice gio quads to say that they are that low quality. Here in Canada, those quads are quite popular. They sell like crazy on ebay. I've seen the 110, 150, and 200 in action and they actually all impressed me. I've had the chance to drive the 110 and the 150 and they have awesome power for such little engines. The guy selling them has 99% positive feedback, but there were definetely some lemon quads as well. You can get all the parts you want for the gios, but you need to find your own place to work on them (I know several places that work on them locally). Probably the main problem I've heard with these quads are carb issues. Overall, people seem to really like them though. I'd put Gio in the middle category.

Also, the 150cc quad with the GY6 engine is a solid bet when buying a little quad. I have a 2006 model made by the same manufacturer that makes the gio quads and it's pretty awesome. It has such nice bottom end torque for such a little engine. Hills, soft sand, mud, no problem! The powertrain seems so solid on this thing (I guess until the cvt belt breaks. lol). I've really ridden mine very hard, very frequently and it's still running great. The top speed is OK at about 60 km per hour (37.5 mph). I like the look of the Jetmoto version even better, although it sounds like outofline had a couple issues with them (one popping out of gear! Crazy!).

OffRoadNoob</end quote></div>

first i'll address the sunl issure, sunl in not a manufacture, the sunl group s only an importer not a manufacture. from 05-06 sunl did had problems with frames breakage only on the 90's and 95, not the rest of their line of quads, since then the problems with these frames have been corrected, other than that the other big problem with sunl was lack of parts support, sunl group was not importing replacement parts for their quads and expected the dealers to buy extra quads and use them for parts bikes since they were buying them so cheaply. thats has been corrected also. i'm not a sunl supporter but i don't see any differance in quality in the mini 50-110cc atv's .
now the parts quality issure, i'll make this simple, caburetors, upgrade would be japanese eaither a keihin or mikuni, standard of japan is not an up grade, these are only clones. wheel bearing upgrades would be twainese, japanese or american, not chinese. wiring harness upgrades? since what i've seen they all use the same 18 gage copper core wire and the same connectors, so unless the upgrade has gold terimals and thats not going to happen . bolt and nut up grades, yes they could be up graded by the manufactures since bolts streight is graded, to check this out just look at the bolts head, if it has a numer on it, like 8.8 0r 10.9 then it's a upgrade but if you don't see these number then sorry no upgrade . but here's the question, if their's better quaily chinese parts such as whats on a jetmoto compared with the sunl why doesn' the interenet and e-bay dealers import these so called upgraded parts and advertize them as better upgraded parts? when you look up a part on the web like a (example wheel spindle) you don't see a list of good , better ,best parts ,you only see one, it will say wheel spindle and it says will fits most chinese 250's. and this is with all chinese parts with the execption of carburetors, when a dealer advertizes a japenese carburetor they will list them as an upgrade part. basicly i believe it really comes down to how well the person setups up their atv weather it's going to perform and last as it should.

Old 05-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer

Chineseatvmechanic - are you a dealer? Do you just repair them? Just curious as to what your background is. You seem to know alot about the imports.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]I have 2 loncin 110 atv's & they are ***** with a capital ***** in 3 months I have had wheels fall off, loose handel bars ,chain guards fall off, fuel leaks, 4 rear shock absorbers too the point that I had to manufacture a new eyelet for one rear shock to connect it to the frame cos the person I bought them off (brand new) will not answer my calls. A new CDI box, A new spark plug coil, 1 quad wont start cos the mixture is wrong & u have clean the spark plug before it will fire, both brake locking mechanisms for when u want to start them have fell off. I have added dozens of nyloc's & spring washers in an attempt to stop parts falling off, the 2 bikes are 6 months old & look like they are 10 yrs old. if u think they are a top brand then you can buy them off me. PS can any one advise me on how to set the mixture right. cos both quads will not run when the choke is switched off

Old 05-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry to hear you have had so many problems. I have not had the same experience (so far). It seems to baffle me more and more when you hear about so many wide ranging experiences from people on this forum.

I adjusted my two 110's by taking the a/f mixture all the way in and then backing it out 2 full turns. I then adjusted the idle screw. I probably made two more quarter turn adjustments to each of the af and idle screws to get it to wear it was idling well and not too rich or lean. One thing I did do before I adjusted the carbs was check both airboxes and filters to make sure they were tight. I found one of mine was open and was letting in air, hence lending to it running lean.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

Mechanic, you sound like someone who can hopefully help me. I have the sunl 250 go kart and the steering radius is terrible. Is there any way to upgrade so I can get a smaller radius and take tighter corners? I've thought about shortening the horn supports but that will bring the tie rods into the front top a frame mounts. Is there anything you can suggest to get tighter turning from this beast?

Thanks for any help.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:41 PM
Range Rover

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: ratmule

Mechanic, you sound like someone who can hopefully help me. I have the sunl 250 go kart and the steering radius is terrible. Is there any way to upgrade so I can get a smaller radius and take tighter corners? I've thought about shortening the horn supports but that will bring the tie rods into the front top a frame mounts. Is there anything you can suggest to get tighter turning from this beast?

Thanks for any help.</end quote></div>

i've sent you a PM, hope this helps

Old 05-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mechanic, I appreciate the help. I haven't received the pm however. I'll pm you my correct email, just in case.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Range Rover

your message is up next to where you sign in at

Old 05-20-2008, 07:32 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: chineseatvmechanic

first i'll address the sunl issure, sunl in not a manufacture, the sunl group s only an importer not a manufacture. from 05-06 sunl did had problems with frames breakage only on the 90's and 95, not the rest of their line of quads, since then the problems with these frames have been corrected, other than that the other big problem with sunl was lack of parts support, sunl group was not importing replacement parts for their quads and expected the dealers to buy extra quads and use them for parts bikes since they were buying them so cheaply. thats has been corrected also. i'm not a sunl supporter but i don't see any differance in quality in the mini 50-110cc atv's .

now the parts quality issure, i'll make this simple, caburetors, upgrade would be japanese eaither a keihin or mikuni, standard of japan is not an up grade, these are only clones.

wheel bearing upgrades would be twainese, japanese or american, not chinese.

wiring harness upgrades? since what i've seen they all use the same 18 gage copper core wire and the same connectors, so unless the upgrade has gold terimals and thats not going to happen .

bolt and nut up grades, yes they could be up graded by the manufactures since bolts streight is graded, to check this out just look at the bolts head, if it has a numer on it, like 8.8 0r 10.9 then it's a upgrade but if you don't see these number then sorry no upgrade .

but here's the question, if their's better quaily chinese parts such as whats on a jetmoto compared with the sunl why doesn' the interenet and e-bay dealers import these so called upgraded parts and advertize them as better upgraded parts? when you look up a part on the web like a (example wheel spindle) you don't see a list of good , better ,best parts ,you only see one, it will say wheel spindle and it says will fits most chinese 250's. and this is with all chinese parts with the execption of carburetors, when a dealer advertizes a japenese carburetor they will list them as an upgrade part.

basicly i believe it really comes down to how well the person setups up their atv weather it's going to perform and last as it should.</end quote></div>

Regardless of what you call the organization that sells SunL. The Sunl product is still near the bottom. You will have to look long and hard here to find a positive comment about SunL.

Ok so its either a Chines carb or a Japanese carb. Japanese is better right?

Wheel bearings Chinese, Taiwan, Japanese or American. 4 levels of quality there..

I know for sure that Jetmoto gets their wiring harness's made at the same factory that Toyota uses. would that be better than most?

There are different levels of bolt quality on my Chinese quads. I can tell by how easy they snap, or if they dont snap. No markings on any of them.

I know that Jetmoto has Japanese bearings shipped to the company that assembles the front hubs. And the rear axle carrier. Eugene also hand picks the people who will assemble Jetmoto quads at the factory that assembles his quads. He does this by going to China and visiting the factories to see them in action. I wonder how many of the other importers do this?

I dont know why they arent offered as a upgrade....If Jetmoto has them made for Jetmoto maybe the other guys dont know where to look?? Maybe to expensive for the low budget Chinese importers to buy??

I definitely agree that setup will have a lot to do with how long and well a Chinese quad will perform. Just dont agree that they all are the same..

Im confused as to why you are so set on making the point that ALL chinese quads are the same. Funny thing is.....The forum members in the past who made this arguement were the ones selling the low price Chinese garbage. If you tell us what you sell and/or where you work .....Well....That would be against the rules and get you banned..... So Ill just have to stay confused a while longer.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:36 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TwoBoysToys

MWQ - Thanks. I have been trying to get her to just learn to shift and ride another V4S, but she isn't having any of it, she just wants to hit the gas and brake. I went looking for an auto in a 200cc and couldn't really find anything. Tim at VBike sent me pics of the new 250cc automatic, but it has some really funky, ugly headlights on it (looks like a bug according to my boys) and he wants $1,750.00 for it.

After hearing back from you and the things Out of Line had to say, I bought her a red 150 Jet this morning. I ordered it with a set of wheel spacers to add to the back as well.

Thanks for the input. This is the kind of thing that makes this forum great.</end quote></div>

Your welcome TwoBoysToys! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Not everyone wants or needs to learn to shift. Why make her think of more while riding?

Glad to hear you ordered a Jetmoto....let me know how it all goes.

Quick Reply: Poor, medium, and high quality Chinese ATVs...