Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Poor, medium, and high quality Chinese ATVs...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poor, medium, and high quality Chinese ATVs...

I was thinking that it would be useful if we could somehow categorize Chinese brands of quads based upon their level of quality. Obviously, this is somewhat subjective to the individual, but I think we can come up with some sort of general consensus about the quality of different Chinese made quads.

From the research I've been doing, this is how I would break it down:

Poor Quality Chinese Quads:

SunL
Asun
RedCat

Medium Quality Chinese Quads:

Kazuma
Roketa
Giovanni
Zongshen
Hi-Bird

Higher Quality Chinese Quads:

Jianshe
Jetmoto
VBike (Tao Tao)
Loncin

Does this look about right? Let's hear what you guys have to say. How would you categorize the Chinese brands in terms of quality?

OffRoadNoob

Old 05-16-2008, 05:45 PM
Range Rover

totally wrong, underneath the plastics mostly all the same parts. engine, electrical, tires, wheels,axles, shocks, wheel bearing and so force. chinese atv manufactures really are not manufactures, they do not manufacture atv parts as we know it as the japanese do , the chinese purchase chinese parts and assemble the quads, the only real upgrades would be the carburetor, in which only a couple of chinese so called manufactures buy japenese carburetors. the real differance is the importer and dealer, this just one reason why the chinese can offer their quads cheaper than the major brands.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Trailblazer

I would agree with most of this. A better way to put it might be to say who is assembling a better atv and providing better support. It is subjective to those that have had good and bad experiences, it seems that most peoples feelings fall along those same lines. I have two Kazuma's and the VBike. I have had a great experience with both thus far (5-6 months of decent riding) and would recommend them to anyone if they follow the prep time and suggestions of everyone on this forum. I know that outofline and quite a few others have the Jetmoto's and have been very satisified with them as well. So although, "better" may not be exactly an accurate term, I think it certainly will apply to a few of the quad importers when it comes to the odds of it being a better experience.

From all of the reading I have done on here, it seems that there are alot of very satisfied Jetmoto, VBike, Roketa and HiBird owners out there and alot of dissatisfied SunL, Giovanni, Asun and Redcat owners. There are exceptions to every rule, but the posts all seem to be following pretty similar lines when it comes to people being generally happy and people being generally dissatisfied.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:59 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I have heard there are at least 3 levels of engine quality builders (maybe more now) and about the same for just about every other component. Wiring harness's, wheel bearings, carbs, cables, batteries, nuts, bolts, etc... Each "company" picks the quality and price of those components. Then each "company" determines the quality of the build. Once imported here under dozens of different names. The consumer has to consider.... Will they have parts when I need them? Will they honor their warranty? How much will I need the warranty? Will the company be around in a year? When its all said and done some of the Chinese quads do quite well and some are true piles of cr@p. Same for the "companies " selling them. SunL is definitely in the bottom group, and of course Id put Jetmoto in the top group.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

mywifesquad - Totally off the thread, but how do you like the Jetmoto 150 Auto? I am looking for a quad for my wife and she wants an automatic. She is 5'7" about 140 pounds. She is a first time rider and just wants to join me and the boys trailing and riding the woods. Raceway has it at $1399.00.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

You need to add Linhay to the high quality list. The 260 qnd 300 4x4 are good machines

Old 05-17-2008, 10:11 AM
Pro Rider

Actually the signature Vbike 250 V4S is made by Chongqing Chang Ming Vehicle Manufacture, not Taotao. It is imported by Charming Motorcycle USA INC. The rest of the ATVs sold by Vbike appear to be TaoTao, my 150B is a TaoTao from Vbike.

The 250 V4S has a Lifan engine, thats marked Lifan, and has a Japanese carburator. Also came stock with an NGK spark plug.

From my experiences, I'd put Vbike in the top group.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:31 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: TwoBoysToys

mywifesquad - Totally off the thread, but how do you like the Jetmoto 150 Auto? I am looking for a quad for my wife and she wants an automatic. She is 5'7" about 140 pounds. She is a first time rider and just wants to join me and the boys trailing and riding the woods. Raceway has it at $1399.00.</end quote></div>

I like it a lot....and mine is a '06....I also have a '04 Yamoto 150 with the same engine...My Jet 150 has been ridden by just about everyone we have ever taken camping/riding...even my 71 yr old mom has ridden it on the beach at Pismo. I think it would be a perfect quad for your wife. Decent power, easy to use, great suspension and handling for a 150.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer

ChineseATVmechanic, I'm surprised to hear you say that. I've read some of your posts and you seem very knowledgeable about these quads. However, I've seen the difference in quality between a good Chinese quad and a poor quality Chinese quad. The Sunl frames seem to be made out of cast iron or something. lol. They just break so much easier than a quad made by Loncin or other better Chinese ATV brands.

It sounds like most of you agree that there is some difference between the different chinese brands. A good point was brought up that the service after the sale is also a very important aspect. I think that's why a company like Jetmoto is near the top and one like SunL is at the bottom.

TwoBoys, I would absolutely not put Giovanni in the same bottom category as SunL, Asun, or Redcat. I've just seen too many nice gio quads to say that they are that low quality. Here in Canada, those quads are quite popular. They sell like crazy on ebay. I've seen the 110, 150, and 200 in action and they actually all impressed me. I've had the chance to drive the 110 and the 150 and they have awesome power for such little engines. The guy selling them has 99% positive feedback, but there were definetely some lemon quads as well. You can get all the parts you want for the gios, but you need to find your own place to work on them (I know several places that work on them locally). Probably the main problem I've heard with these quads are carb issues. Overall, people seem to really like them though. I'd put Gio in the middle category.

Also, the 150cc quad with the GY6 engine is a solid bet when buying a little quad. I have a 2006 model made by the same manufacturer that makes the gio quads and it's pretty awesome. It has such nice bottom end torque for such a little engine. Hills, soft sand, mud, no problem! The powertrain seems so solid on this thing (I guess until the cvt belt breaks. lol). I've really ridden mine very hard, very frequently and it's still running great. The top speed is OK at about 60 km per hour (37.5 mph). I like the look of the Jetmoto version even better, although it sounds like outofline had a couple issues with them (one popping out of gear! Crazy!).

OffRoadNoob

Old 05-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Trailblazer

MWQ - Thanks. I have been trying to get her to just learn to shift and ride another V4S, but she isn't having any of it, she just wants to hit the gas and brake. I went looking for an auto in a 200cc and couldn't really find anything. Tim at VBike sent me pics of the new 250cc automatic, but it has some really funky, ugly headlights on it (looks like a bug according to my boys) and he wants $1,750.00 for it.

After hearing back from you and the things Out of Line had to say, I bought her a red 150 Jet this morning. I ordered it with a set of wheel spacers to add to the back as well.

Thanks for the input. This is the kind of thing that makes this forum great.

Quick Reply: Poor, medium, and high quality Chinese ATVs...