Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

New Gio Beast wont start.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Gio Beast wont start.

Anybody please help! I just finished assembling my son's GIO Beast 200, and when I try to start it, the engine turns over, but it won't start. Apart from the obvious that I checked (enough gas, applying the brake when trying to start it), is there anything else I should do or check?

I think it is perhaps not getting spark, as I removed the spark plug and hald it against the block to see if it sparks when cjranking the engine, but I cannot see any spark.

Any ideas??

Regards,
Gustav

Old 08-29-2008, 06:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Gustav, I had the same problem with my GIO Beast 200. It turned out to be the kill switch on the left handlebar. It kills the spark when fully to the left OR fully to the right. Make sure it is set to the middle position. The front brake needs to be applied as well. (you mentioned brake, but on some other quads it is the back brake)
Hope this helps

Old 08-29-2008, 08:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you. I think it was a bad connection. After I fiddled with all the wires, it started quite easily. That quad is fun!

Regards,
Gustav

Old 08-30-2008, 08:30 AM
Weekend Warrior

Great to hear you got it running. If you follow the CARB adjustment procedures that are in this forum, it will run much better. If you want to save yourself some time, I would buy a new chain and throw the original out. Chain type is 428 and you can count how many links you need. I just bought a 428/110 for $12.00 cdn, and ajusted the length. When my son was the riding the quad for like the 2nd time, the chain broke and this busted the Aluminum chain case cover. I went on ebay and bought a new one, cost me $37.00 to get it to my home.
If you do setup the carb, which I highly recommend, I found that the air/gas mixture screw worked best a 2 1/4 turns out.
We have lots of fun on our bike too. My next project will be to try to eliminate some of the vibration. Any suggestions would be great.

Steve

Old 09-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the advise.

I actually need to adjust the carb, but where is the air/ gas mix screw?

I can see the idling screw, and played around with the needle hight (which does not seem to help much), but I cannot figure out how to adjust the gas/air mixture. The quad is missing and stalling at times, and I noticesdthat the spark plug is very black.

Regards,
Gustav

Old 09-02-2008, 05:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

The gas/air mixture screw is on the bottom front of the carb. So the side closest to the engine. Kind of a pain to get at, but a short flat head screw driver works pretty good, just be careful of the hot exhaust. Seems I always manage to touch it.. D'oh.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:57 AM
Trailblazer
Default Gio Beast starting issues

Hello. I am having issues with the Gio Beasts. I run a dealership and im having a hell of a time with starting issues on these machines.Grrr. Ive checked for fire which i have however my plug seems to be dry when i pull it out...got my airscrew 2 1/4 turns out.lots of gas in the carb. ive had three like this and i cannot figure the problem. If i have fire going to the plug it cant be a faulty kill switch could it? Any help would be greatly appreciated as im gettin very stressed out over this! Thanks in advance!

SerGio Motorsports

Old 09-30-2009, 09:51 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts

If your not getting fuel Id think the carb is plugged or the float height is to low and not letting enough fuel into the carb.

Old 09-30-2009, 11:22 AM
Trailblazer

wickedkawi
These Gio's are shipped with a gel pack in the float bowl, to keep it from moving around
during shipping.
You should let the Quad run for about 20 min. on the first start so the gas can dissolve all the gel pack.
I had trouble getting my 250 gio started the first time as well. To do it over again
I would take the carb off and remove the gel pack manually which would make the
first start-up alot better.
Hope this helps.