Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Polaris Outlaw 90 Vs. Honda TRX90

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Outlaw 90 Vs. Honda TRX90

Hey everyone,
I am looking to buy my son a Quad for Christmas. I currently own 2 Hondas and am not impressed with the look of the Honda TRX90. I just went to look at the Polaris Outlaw 90 and was impressed. Does anyone have any advice regarding these 2 quads as far as dependability goes?

The Honda would be more conveinent for service since I already have 2 but it isn't Automatic, no reverse.
The Polaris looks really nice, wider quad, Automatic, Reverse.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeff

Old 11-11-2008, 06:57 PM
Trailblazer

ive never riden a TRX but i have a Predator 90, an earlier version of the Outlaw. the predator is very reliable, but i like the idea of the manual shift that you can leave in 1st or 2nd and keep going on the TRX. MY predator is a very reliable little machine.

Old 11-12-2008, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

I have to say, we raced against a outlaw 90 and I was impressed with the little four stroke. I thought that it did well and performed well against the 2 strokes. They did have some issues with the frame and gear case but who doesn't with mx racing.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Trailblazer

We have an '03 TRX 90 that has been very reliable. It also has a fair amount of aftermarket parts available. Ours has been piped and jetted with Works shocks all around. I also added 1.5 inch wheel spacers to make it a little safer for all the kids that come over and ride it in the yard. I did that in one year to try to keep up with our son's abilities only to cave in and get him a Honda 300ex after one year. The next year, he got his zuke 400.

I think it is the same old story----what do you want to do with it? How much experience does your child have?

Either way, you will find that the child will outgrow it before you can modify it enough to keep up with the riding skills. I wish there was a decently priced dual A arm suspended quad for these kids. They all stink in the suspension category.

Other considerations are:

Do you need the gears for steeper hills
How old is your son - the older, the more likely to go with gears

Old 11-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the reply,

My son is 8, he has riden his Mom's 250 Recon a little but it is too big and I dont like him riding it. He will not be racing, just trail riding.

The thing I like about the Polaris Outlaw is it is Automatic, has reverse, has headlights, has a wider stance and is much better looking.

The thing I like about the Honda is simply that I already have 2 others, they are reliable (although my friends ride Polaris and say the same thing) and I like the dealer I bought from. Although the Honda is more expensive.

Whichever one I get will be passed down to his sister in a few years.

Old 11-17-2008, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer

Based upon the age, I'd go Polaris. You may chose to go used because he will outgrow it quickly. Since both are reliable just get a well maintained one. My son had his one year before he outgrew it but he was 11 or 12 when he got it. You also may want to check out the mods available for the Polaris.

Old 11-18-2008, 03:18 PM
Trailblazer

My son will ride for a couple of years and then his little sister will take over so I am looking at new to avoid any headaches. I am leaning towards Polaris because it has more of the features I'm looking for and it looks cooler which is very important to an 8 yr. old.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 11-21-2008, 04:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here is another one to look into. The Yamaha Raptor 90. We have an 07 Polaris Outlaw 90 and it has been good. The only issue we have is the front fender is very fragile, tends to tear in the fender to body mount crease. We just picked up a Rap 90 and have to say it has more performance than the Polaris. It does not have reverse or headlights. It is smaller than the Polaris. It runs great! I have been running around on both and the Rap runs much stronger. There is a thread running on moddedraptor.com with more input. It is under the 50, 80 and 90 heading. I posted some numbers in there. It has a standard throttle stop on the thumb throttle and also has a rev limiter jumper for the ignition under the seat. The Rap runs less dollars than the Polaris from what I have seen. Rap has a rear disc brake and double a-arm front suspension. Can't go wrong with either, good luck.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the information Glen,

I'll look into it.

Old 01-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Trailblazer

Hey everyone,

I finally made my decision and bought the Polaris Outlaw for my son for Christmas. We went out Saturday riding in Muenster and had a blast. He loves it! I put up a couple of his pictures on my profile. Thanks for all of the information you gave me to help me make my choice.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Polaris Outlaw 90 Vs. Honda TRX90