Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Need Help!!! Carb Problems With A Cheap Chinese 110

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008 | 12:13 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Need Help!!! Carb Problems With A Cheap Chinese 110

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to these cheap Chinese Quads. I bought one new from a swap meet around Christmas 07 but couldn't even tell you who manufactures this thing. Anyway... It started and ran smooth out the door but then sat over the summer (outdoors but covered for about 6 months) and when I went to start it last week I found that the plastic tank had a crack and leaked fuel onto the petcock and fuel line.
I replaced the tank and oil. The manual specified 15W/40-SE. I got a quart of Napa SAE 15W/40 and took the carb off and sprayed it with carb cleaner. Everything looked fine except for a little greenish gray residue in the bowl. The spark plug was black so I replaced it. I messed with the air/fuel screw and idle pin until I got it started.
It ran OK that day but two days later I tried starting it and it was a no go. I finally got it started with the the air/fuel screw all the way in and the idle pin almost all the way in with the choke open. Now it will only stay running with the choke open. When I try to turn the choke off it dies. I did get it to run once with the choke off after it ran with the choke open for ten minutes but even then it runs rough and coughs and sputters.
What are my options?
I have premium gas in there right now (which the manual recommends) but I'm thinking that I should change it out for some that doesn't have corn ethanol in it. I'm at my ropes end.
I did catch my son riding around with the choke open and I fear that may have had serious consequences on the engine. Could that be?
What about the air/fuel screw and idle? Where should they be?
I really don't want to take this in for a repair ticket that might cost half or more of what I paid for the dang thing!
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!!!!

Old 11-30-2008 | 07:54 PM
Trailblazer

I suspect 2ndary air suction problem at intake area.
Suggest you check the connections 1 and 2 in the pic for sufficient seal, tightened cap 3 as well.

Old 12-01-2008 | 02:30 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, Jessie

I checked those connections and they appear to be fine. I openned the gas cap (just in case there was a vacuum) and it started after a few tries. I'm not sure that helped but it did start. It's still a REAL COLD START even though I now store it in the barn and will only stay running with the choke open.

Old 12-01-2008 | 10:31 AM
Pro Rider

I would put a fuel filter in line. pull carb and clean. the port and jet holes are very small run compressed air through them and make sure there not pluged. when you store any amount of time put fuel stabil in the gas. it doesent take long for the NEW gas to start to plug the carb.

Old 12-01-2008 | 11:05 PM
Trailblazer

The carb settings are way off.. SCrew the air fuel screw in all the way and then back it out 1 1/2 to 2 turns. The idle screw start about half way in. That should get your carb closer to the stock settings. Have you checked the compression?