Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

lt 50 wont crank after bath?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lt 50 wont crank after bath?

right on

Old 12-13-2008, 01:57 PM
Range Rover

Well I got the aftermarket coil installed about 15mins ago, and it wont spark at all. The AM coil did not come with the spark plug cap. I removed the cap from the old coil and put it on the new one. I now think the cap itself is the problem. When I ohm just the cap, from where the wire goes in to where the spark plug goes, it reads wide open. Both the new and old coils read good with cap removed. What do yall think? Shouldnt the cap ohm out with little to no resistance?

Old 12-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Range Rover

Well guys I got a new spark plug cap and put the orignal coil back on. I pull and pull and pull and it still wont crank. But if I unbolt the exhaust and spray some gas in the carb and leave it on choke it will run for a very long time. It will not crank if I do not spray gas in the carb. It will not crank if it is not choked. It will not crank if the exhaust is hooked up. It still does not have any power regardless of how long I let it run. I am feed up. I am seriously thinking about taking this thing in to the dealer. Please somebody chime in with what I am missing. What should the compression be on this thing? It checks aroung 110. Thanks for any and all replies.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:08 PM
Range Rover

Well guys since the weather and my temper has gottn cooler I decided to get the ole 50 out and see if it would crank. And of corse it wouldnt. I pulled it hundreds of times and nothing. I pulled the spark plug out and it was dry as a bone. How is this thing supposed to crank if the spark plug doesnt get wet? I have pulled the jug off and had it checked and honed by machine shop installed new rings and of corse all new gaskets. I went through the carb again and did find the needle valve stuck (hay its been sitting almost a year). Got it all back together and it still wont crank. After many many pulls I pulled the spark plug and it was wet. I unbolted the muffler and sprayed some gas into the carb and it fired up and ran. I would hold the muffler up to the jug with my foot and it got a lot quiter and continued to run. I have now taken the muffler completely off and sprayed the water hose through it, and cant tell there is any restriction inside the muffler. I still believe this atv is not generating enough suction to properly suck gas through the carb. It has compression but not suction, does this make any since to yall? I have checked the lower end and case for any signs of leaks or cracks but have not found anything. I have been told that a 2 stroke engine has to have case pressure (or lack off) to form a vacum to properly suck fuel. HELP ME PLEASE!

Old 10-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

wow man this sounds like a nasty can of worms. My son has the same quad, and its always been a great little machine. from what i read sounds like your over thinking the whole thing. if your getting spark but plug is dry then its a fuel issue. the needle seat can cause a lot of problems on a 2 stroke. once you got the plug wet was it from you sparying fuel into the carb or was the carb pumping in fuel? check your petcock under the tank to see if the filter is clogged. my sons has the safety feature on the left handbrake that wont let the quad start unless parking brake is set. hope this helps

Old 11-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Range Rover

dont know whats been up bou I havent been able to connect to this website for a couple of weeks. thanks for the reply oregon-z400

on my last post when the carb was wet it was from the carb and not me.

still havent had any luck with this

what I still dont understand is how this engine generates a vacum to suck through the carb

hope some one can help

thanks,
JC

Old 11-04-2011, 01:29 PM
Range Rover

Hello all its been awhile (3 years) since this atv ran. Well I took it to the dealer about a year ago. They had it for over a month charged me $50 and said it needed a complete rebuild that would cost $900. I got tired of looking at it in the shop and my 6yo son asking me when I was going to fix it. So I rolled her to the work bench and began breaking her apart. When I took the flywheel/magneto(?) off I noticed the crank shaft seal behind it was completely out of the crank case and down the shaft about 1/2". Everything checked good so I purchased a new crank shaft seal for $5.25 put her back together as of last night, and she cranked and ran on the 5th pull idled fine and had power. Felt so good about finding the problem I thought I would share with yall incase anyone else encountered the same problem.