Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Ban on youth ATVs

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2009, 10:48 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ban on youth ATVs

Whats easier? Taking the lead out of the ATV or telling Junior to stop licking the ATV?

Old 02-19-2009, 07:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

This is VERY real! Not only are the dealers banned from selling 110cc or smaller machines but they cannot sell ANY parts for them until they are all lead certified, which takes about 400 days! My cousin's son has a Kawi KX100 and he needs a water pump gasket. According to the local dealer....No can do. He also told my cousin that in the event an adult size machine shares a part with a mini, that part is currently unavailable. Please write your Congressional reps and Senators and express your outrage over this idiotic legislation. It is called Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act or CPSIA. Tell them to exercise some common sense and at least scale this back to a more reasonable measure. Gotta run.....my daughter is in the garage and I have to make sure she isn't eating her ATV. Lead poison, ya know.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

I just wonder if the environmentalists are behind this whole deal. Just another angle to kill quads perhaps? Scare them to death. Why do I get this memory of Henny Penny running around screaming the sky is falling all the time?

Old 02-20-2009, 04:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

If you need parts I'm sure you can buy online from Europe, Canada, mexico etc

Shaun

Old 02-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

PRO-RIDER GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT! Not a single ATV in the United States is listed as a motor vehicle! Not a single ATV in the United States has a VIN number!

In 1994, ASE developed a RECREATION VEHICLE ID number for all ATVs, snowmobiles, etc. It is NOT a VIN number. And yes - ALL "junk" chinese units have this same number.

States have chosen to use this Recreational Id number as a VIN number, and illegally registering ATVs as motor vehicles, as a means to create new revenue (illegally). The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration specifically excludes ATVs as motor vehicles, as they do not meet motor vehicle safety standards. Under the NHTSA standards - states are illegally issuing Motor Vehicle Titles for ATVs.

However, because of the "separation of powers" clause in the constitution, and the fact that NHTSA is a regualatory agency with virtually no enforcement power, the states will continue to license ATV's for on-road use, even though all manufacturers label their units for off-road use only. This is dangerous and eventually some state will end up in a multi-million dollar negligence lawsuit by the family of someone killed on an ATV that gets in an accident with a REAL motor vehicle.

You are spewing information you obviously know nothing about! I was a dealer for many years - and fought to have license plates removed from ATVs in our state.

The American ASSEMBLED (not made) ATVs are no closer to meeting NHTSA safety standards than their Chinese counterparts. They simply are not Motor Vehicles.

The major manufacturer's ATVs and Cycles contain lead just as the Chinese units do - and Europeon and Tawanese. But then again - so does my Ford truck.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

Whoa there Casper... Not sure all this is correct in all states. Federal law allows states to enact it's own set of laws in this regard. It isn't illegal, and some do issue titles with VINs. In Virginia this is the case. All ATV's are registered with the DMV and titles are issued, and we pay personal property tax on them. They are not registered however. Just titled, but they have VINs. What ever they call it locally, Recreation ID number what ever, it is still a unique number that is used to identify a particular machine. Here they call it a VIN.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

Draggin' - mostly just setting the record straight that the implication that the Chinese units are considered "toys" is absolutely not correct.

That and ASE determines the proper definition of an indentifier, not the states - some states have gotten away with changing this definition to suit their (financial) wants. 9 states allow ATVs to be licensed with a motorcycle plate, and driven on public roadways, streets and highways.

I have no problem with states TITLING ATVs for proof of ownership. But there is a big difference between Titling a unit, and REGISTERING the unit as bonafide motor vehicle for the purposes of operating on public roadways and highways. Even further - if the ATV is in fact a bonafide motor vehicle in the terms of licensing - how do you legally allow a youth to operate an ATV when they cannot obtain a drivers license.

Just recently, both Progressive, and Farmers insurance won lawsuits, in which ATVs were in accidents with a passenger vehicle on a public roadway. Both insurance companies won, and the courts ruled that the ATVs were designed primarily for off-road use, and is stated as such by the manufacturers, and therefore the insurance company was not required to cover the insured. Check your insurance policy closely - most, if not all, exclude coverage when an ATV is operated on a public roadway.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with you there... I guess the confusion is on what is meant by registration. I guess my thoughts are not aimed at street legal use, just mearely a means to keep track of vehicles so they can tax you every year. Here in VA, they do that with the title... but in some states they issue stickers to registered ATV's and collect money to pay for trails etc. Much like registering a boat or snowmobile in some states. Don't you just love the 50 ways to use the same word but have many different meanings? On one hand I'd like to see one system so we could all play by the smae rules.. but then that woul dbe steppin on the state's toes...so that isn't going to work.

I sure wish Virginia would have a regsitration program so I could use it when I go to other states. The problem I have is that when I go to some states that require it, I end up having to register there... and then we get into sales tax issues etc. WI is one of the problem states. I bought property to ride on in WI a few years ago. Planning for retirement etc. But because I LIVE in VA, where there is no registration program, WI requires me to register my machines in WI, and pay Sales tax. No thank you. I did that already in VA.... So needless to say, I have not towed 1300 miles to my property and ridden my quads. Probably end up selling the land over it.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:27 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Casper1276

PRO-RIDER GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT! Not a single ATV in the United States is listed as a motor vehicle! Not a single ATV in the United States has a VIN number!

The major manufacturer's ATVs and Cycles contain lead just as the Chinese units do - and Europeon and Tawanese. But then again - so does my Ford truck.</end quote></div>

Everyone of my off road vehicles (Japanese, Austrian and Chinese) has a VIN and is registered for off road use here in Ca. Not sure how you can say NONE of them have a VIN. Its even called the "Vehicle Identification number" on the registration card and on the "pink slip".

This doesnt suprise me at all...

Old 03-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well it is now March and still can not get the parts for my daughters quad to get it running? No wonder this economy is in such a chit hole. Would like to buy her a DRR race ready and cant do that either. Gotta love the fabulous government.

Quick Reply: Ban on youth ATVs