Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Ban on youth ATVs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ban on youth ATVs

Interesting that there is no more discussion about this topic than there is (ie. none).

Effective today, all youth ATVs and motorcycles sold for children age 12 and under have to be certified regarding lead content. None of the current manufacturers do lead certification, whether they are from China, Japan, or Europe. Dealerships are not going to be able to afford to have lead certification done on inventory they have in stock, and manufacturers will require time to become compliant with the new regulations. The net effect is a ban on sale of youth ATVs and motorcycles for the forseeable future.

There have been some great deals on youth ATVs and motorcycles in the last several weeks because of this, but I suspect it is too late for that now, being as today is the date the new legislation takes effect. An example of the deals that have been available; Saturday, three days ago, I purchased a new KTM 85 SX dirt bike for my 12 year old son. Retail price was $5300, and the dealer let it go for $3412, because he new that after today he would not be able to sell it at all.

DesertViper

Old 02-10-2009, 10:09 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Its definitely not getting a lot of forum time. (not sure why either) Maybe because the demand has dropped a bit since last year?

It has been discussed a little here.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

While I can see the need to control the lead paint issue, I really can't remember anytime in my childhood, or anytime any of the children raised in our house being allowed to chew on the bikes or quads.

Seems like they'd at least let dealers clear their inventory.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:19 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Sadly paint hasnt been the same since they took out lead.

Union 76 Premium hasnt been the same since they took the lead out of it either.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:36 AM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I heard this does not apply to any ATV made by the major manufacturers. Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha etc..... all have their vehicles registered as motor vehicles. Because of that they are NOT considered toys and are NOT subject to these lead restrictions....There has long been a ban on lead in any motor vehicles made in the USA, Canada and Japan.

The junk from China or Korea, things that do not have VIN numbers only serial number, are NOT motor vehicles and are so labeled as toys.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: mywifesquad

Sadly paint hasnt been the same since they took out lead.

Union 76 Premium hasnt been the same since they took the lead out of it either.</end quote></div>

You'd think the government would pay to remove it from my behind. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 02-10-2009, 11:43 AM
Range Rover

This has been stayed until Feb 10 of 2010, so a 1 year stay from what I have heard & read.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

This is on Kawasaki's web site right now:

Name:  KX65.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  108.0 KB

Call any dealer in the USA. Try to buy a 50cc, 65cc, or 85cc motorcycle.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Range Rover

Call at the end of the week & my guess is they will be able to sell them again.... key words here... don't let your kid chew on ANY atv or dirtbike frame.... its a crock of a law in my opinion....I mean really...kids chew or lick their machines? I sometimes get pretty excited about getting ready for a ride...but really I don't think I have ever actually licked my machine? (don't call my wife about this as she may say I'm lying hehehe) hahhahaaha Next time your 4yr old is ready to take a bite outa the a arm.. just tell him we say no in this household.... I have a almost 5yr old... if he was getting to "close" with his wheelie.... I would have to have a talk with him about it.... thats just funny, I don't care who you are.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:28 PM
Pro Rider

Found this elsewhere:

As of today all motorcycles and product/parts for motorcycles and ATV's for kids have been made illegal to sell in the USA. ALL of the manufacturers Honda, Yamaha, Kawisaki, KTM, Cobra, Polini, Polaris ALL have instructed or should have instructed there dealers to take all of the motorcycles and ATV off of the sales floor. They have also been told to no longer sell parts. This law was past to protect kids from lead in their toys that they might chew on and somehow motorcycles got wrapped up in it. We have just got off of a conference call with Congressmen Tom Self and the other manufactures of motorcycles. Tom Self has set up a website that will send a letter to all the people of this commitee to get their attention. We are trying to shut down there email and fax machines here in the next 2 to 3 days. Please go to www.tomself.com and put in your name and address and the letters will be sent. Make sure to do a letter for yourself and also have your wife, children, cousin, grandparents, coworkers, ect. We need millions of letters to get this done. The Motorcycle Industry Counsil has the paperwork in Washington to be signed but with all of the stimulus/ TARP stuff going on no one will stop and take the time to look into this. Please send this information to anyone you have contact with. This is happening and we need YOUR help. If anyone says different do not believe them.

Quick Reply: Ban on youth ATVs