Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

*PLEASE HELP* 200cc GIO WILL NOT START

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 11:40 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *PLEASE HELP* 200cc GIO WILL NOT START

I have bought a 2008 Giovanni beast 200cc (blue), i had it out driving yesterday and it stalls almost as if it was out of fuel, so instinct i went and put fuel in it, go to start it, no go, pulled the spark plug out of the head to see if theres spark..no spark, pulled a few plugs nothing, checked some switches..nothing, this machine has me boggled, what could it be? is it possible to get an aftermarket part for lets say a 200cc honda? anybodys help is more that appreciated. thank you

P.S. also noticed under the front headlight a green wire (short), it seems to have power in it but doesnt reach anywhere, i believe it has a male end on it ?!

Old 03-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Does your CDI look like this?

Name:  CDI_Pinout.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  27.7 KB

I would first make sure that one of the kill switches or kill switch wiring isn't preventing spark. Measure the resistance of the kill switch wire in the wiring harness to engine ground. It should read open (infinite resistance). If it is shorted to ground you will not get a spark.

Double check all your connectors at the CDI, stator, kill switches (handlebar, tether and ignition switch), and ignition coil.

There are other things that can be measured but kill switch and associated wiring, along with bad connectors is by far the most common.

Old 03-07-2009, 12:44 AM
Weekend Warrior

the bike is currently in pieces laid all over the floor, certainly thinking of making the bike simple start stop, possibly attempting rewiring the bike if all else fails. A family mechanic who works on small engines look at it on sunday if for say it is the CDI or the ign coil, can i buy an aftermarket one from honda or?? please reply if possible. thanks for the diagram definitley going to look into that.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

The ignition pieces are all pretty much generic with the same part used on multiple brands. The CDI picture in my previous post was purchased on eBay for $9.00. Ignition coils, stators, kill switches, and numerous other parts as also available. Honda won't know anything about parts for your bike.

But before you go blindly changing out parts, there are a lot of things you can measure with a voltmeter to help narrow down the possibilites. Measure the kill switch connection first as mentioned before - this is where a lot of problems originate. Double and triple check the connectors. If that doesn't work we can go further.

As far as rewiring the bike to make it simple, I wouldn't. The wiring is already pretty simple (with a little training) and some of the safety stuff is there for a reason. You really don't won't to remove them. For example, imagine your throttle sticks wide open. Being able to kill the engine with the handlebar kill switch is a lot safer than reaching down to the ignition switch (that hand would probably already be used up squeezing the front brake lever anyway).

One final note. The CDI pictured before now comes in two flavors: AC powered (from a winding on the stator), and DC powered from the 12 volt battery. They look the same. AC powered ones are more common, but the DC powered ones are starting to show up on newer bikes. If it gets to that point we can tell the difference with some simple voltmeter measurements.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:29 AM
Weekend Warrior

hey thanks for the reply, i really appreciate you taking the time to explain this mess. I read on a forum that the ATC 200CC 3wheeler were the same engine, i can be totally wrong just bringing it up, if they were would the ign coil, CDI box, stator be the same? i hope someone can figure this out, basically no spark is the problem unplugged all kill switches and no go...i had it run yesterday for a 2 lap around the yard then it stalled. the bike will be looked at today, will reply after figuring out the problem, will go from here guys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2009, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Many of these ATV's use old honda technology when it comes to the engines. Your Beast may have a an old Honda engine but its not like the one in ATC 200 (its an older style engine than that). Some stuff is interchangable but many times it's not exactly the same, don't waste your time trying to find a Honda part to work. Really parts for this MIC stuff is a non issue as the net is full of online parts suppliers for them. You could probably buy a new CDI, coil and Stator all together for $40 or less online. Just the CDI from Honda for an ATC 200 is a $102.00.

As Mentioned above be sure all the wiring is "ok" as typically I've found its usally something simple that goes wrong on these things. You have get us some voltage checks and we could probably point you in the right direction.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:17 AM
Weekend Warrior

so after all that hassle turns out where the chain guard was mounted when the quad was assembled at factory or whoever assembled the quad (giovanni 200cc beast) they decided to crush all the wires going in to the stator, causing my battery to constantly die, and eventually the atv failing to start. Result of this problem a major meltdown on the group of wires going into the stator, thought id let everyone in on that incase of future problems with your bike, also unhooked the brake start safety (both foot and hand lever) so the bike can be jump started. this bike is awsome now also had my leaking carb fixed. Had it out all night and this thing pulls second gear wheelies now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] , thank you to (LynnEdwards and sawyer) for helping me out trying to figure out this problem!