Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

KFX 80 headache

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 08:20 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KFX 80 headache

I bought my daughter a KFX 80 from a guy that had it in his garage standing on end for over a year. Case was flooded. Drained case, cleaned carb, replaced bad petcock with a used one from an lt 80 I bought in pieces, replaced plug. Initially it was hard to start but it started and ran fine. Took to Superstition here in So Cal. Ran fine but died a few times and took a few attempts to start. Next trip to Glamis, started easy ran fine, took a break and hard start. Rode for 20 min then died. no start. got home replaced plug, cleaned carb, cleaned air filter and hard start again. ran for 5 min then died. Checked this forum and went through all posts of hard start and no start as well all for kfx and lt 80. Compression good, carb clean. took exhaust off and it fired easier. heated exhaust and cleaned with brake clean. reinstalled and it ran for 20 min up and down block. set idle then 2 min later died. hard start again. Feels like I am back to Square 1. If I had funds would pull engine and send to Mr. Moore but new kitchen taking all cash. Any help any one? been following posts for a few years for daughters lt 50 and never a prob even with mods. Sorry for long post but frustration set in and almsot set 80 on fire just for satisfaction. Thanks Jay.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

It seems that a normal carb cleaning isn't working lately. Some have had to boil the carb to get the crud out of the lil passages. It has helped!
While the carb is off, I'd check the reed.
So what is the compression?

Ta heck w/the kitchen, you don't have near the fun in the kitchen as you do the dunes......LMAO

Old 04-26-2009, 12:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

Will try boiling the carb in the morning. I checked the old reeds and there was alittle rust from the bad petcock draining the tank into the case and the quad standing on end for over a year. replaced it with a good used valve from the other 80. Could it possible be the exhaust is still gummed up alittle? I removed exhaust and it started easier but still stalled. I also went to premix. Any one make a good block off plate? Thanks. Would love to get 1 or 2 more rides before it gets too hot. Daughter is bugging me. She's dying to try Oldsmobile hill in Glamis.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry for the late and incomplete response. Compression is 140. The reeds are good. I agree the kitchen is not as fun as it would be if the wife and I were younger when we tried every place BUT the bed room! Wink Wink. The kitchen calls though so the carb will have to be put off. I will get back asap though. Thanks for your help and patience.

Old 04-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Boiled the carb. Boiled the jets. Reinstalled. Still has hard start but does run better with more power. Had idle adjusted and idled fine for 5 min then slowly started to die, gave it gas and idled for another 5 min than started to die. Readjusted idle and idled fine. Shut it down and hard start again. Must have choke on to start regardless if it is hot or cold. Must crank for 20 to 40 seconds while slowly cracking throttle to get it to "catch" and try to start. This process is repeated 5 or so times before it will finally fire. Everything done has helped more and more but still a pain in the rear. Well back to the kitchen for more FUN.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:17 AM
Pro Rider

Unless I missed something in this post ours did this when the spark arrester was plugged up. Just way to much back pressure holding back the motor. It was just a brain f**t that I had.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Yea, I think you might as well clean the pipe.
Remove it and stick it in a fire/charcoal till it's red hot. You then blow compressed air thru it. CAREFUL it'll throw flames!!!!
You wouldn't think a plugged pipe would effect starting, but we need to eliminate the possibility of the pipe being the problem.
As far as Olds, there is a possibility of you seeing one of my motors go up it.