Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

giovanni 150cc loses spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here are the test results again there was no spark at all when i did these tests but soon as i plug into the cdi box again there is very good spark again. it will spark a nice blue spark about a quarter to half inch to ground. and it runs perfect. till i shut of the key switch and try again the next day and there is no spark again. here are test results.

AC ignition power-51 ACV on the 200ACV scale

Ignition trigger pulse-1.1 ACV on the 200 ACV scale, do not have 1- volt scale just 200 AND 500 ACV SCALE ON VOLTMETER.

Ignition trigger pulse resistence-.249 ohms on the 2k ohms scale

Ignition coil pin-200-96.7ohms
-2k-.136ohms
-200k-05.8ohms
-200m-0.57ohms this is all on the ohms scale

Ground pins-200k-12.3ohms
-20m-1.27ohms
-2k-.300ohms
these are the readings i got which dont sound right. what could it be
LYNN
-

Old 11-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

reisistance in ohms from ac ignition power to engine ground
-20m-0.47
-200k-05.3
-2k-.647

Old 11-19-2009, 10:35 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

There are difficulties on many levels here. Lets go through them 1 by 1:

Originally Posted by ksbs2009
here are the test results again there was no spark at all when i did these tests but soon as i plug into the cdi box again there is very good spark again. it will spark a nice blue spark about a quarter to half inch to ground. and it runs perfect. till i shut of the key switch and try again the next day and there is no spark again....
Intermittents are tough because you have know when you measure anything whether the system is working or not working. If I understand your post correctly, you had no spark, unplugged stuff and did some measuring, plugged stuff back together and had spark. When did your quad go from not working to working? Before, after, or during your measurements? Without this critical info you are left with a lot of holes in the troubleshooting logic.

...here are test results.

AC ignition power-51 ACV on the 200ACV scale

Ignition trigger pulse-1.1 ACV on the 200 ACV scale, do not have 1- volt scale just 200 AND 500 ACV SCALE ON VOLTMETER.

Ignition trigger pulse resistence-.249 ohms on the 2k ohms scale...
AC Ignition power sounds about right and is consistent with your earlier measurement.

Trigger pulse voltage is another story. Before you measured 0.1 Volts AC. Now you measure 1.1 volts AC (which is high, but see my comments later about your meter). Between now and before they should read the same. Why are they reading different? This is an issue that needs to be resolved.

Trigger winding resistance measures 249 ohms (not 0.249 ohms) this time. Last time you measured 150 ohms. Again, these values don't change from day to day. They should measure the same always. Why they measure different is an issue that needs to be resolved.

Ignition coil pin-200-96.7ohms
-2k-.136ohms
-200k-05.8ohms
-200m-0.57ohms this is all on the ohms scale

Ground pins-200k-12.3ohms
-20m-1.27ohms
-2k-.300ohms
None of these readings make any sense. In your earlier measurements these same readings didn't make sense either. There are many things not right here...

The ignition coil pin to ground should measure less than 2 ohms. 97.6 ohms just flat out won't work.

Then on the 2K scale you get get 136 ohms (not 0.136 ohms). [On the 2K ohm scale you are measuring Kohms ( or kilo-ohms). A reading of 0.136 KOhms = 136 Ohms.] But the reading on this scale should read the same - i.e. 0.098 KOhms.

The next scale (200K) is even more off base. And I don't know what to make of the "200m" scale. I don't believe such a scale exists.

The ground measurements are more of the same type of descrepancies.

I see two problems. Your meter is really messed up. It has an offset in the analog to digital conversion which is messing up all values near the zero end of all ranges. This is why the readings don't scale properly when going from one range to another.

On top of that there are major descrepancies between what you measure from one day to the next. This should not be. Are these descrepancies between measurements the difference between a working and non working ignition system, an artifact of a just plain broken meter which measures different from day to day, or even measurement error which is sort of expected from a novice? With three variables it is really hard to wade through the morass.

First step is to get a working meter. Then get readings that are consistent from day to day, time to time, and from meter to meter (both have to work though). Then find a way to get the intermittent to fail in such a way that the malfunction is present both before and after all the measurements, so that we know that the measurements are from a non-functioning ignition system.

Old 11-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

here is the multi meter i use and it seems to work fine. tell me what scales exactly i should put it on . and a way we go lynn.

Attached Thumbnails giovanni 150cc loses spark-4320.jpg  
Old 11-22-2009, 01:07 AM
Electrical Expert

here is the multi meter i use and it seems to work fine. tell me what scales exactly i should put it on . and a way we go lynn.
Let's review. For the resistance of the Ignition coil pin you measure:

200 ohm scale: 96.7ohms
2k ohm scale: 0.136 Kohms (136 ohms)
200k ohm scale: 05.8 Kohms (5800 ohms)

and:

200m ohm scale (whatever that is): 0.57ohms

First, can we agree that there is no such thing as a "200m" ohms scale on your meter? The point I'm trying to make (hopefully without making you mad or frustrated) is that accurate data is really important. Without accurate data there aren't any accurate answers possible. Only you can fix that problem.

Second, there are some fundamental problems with the other measurements you made that have absolutely nothing to do with your quad problems. They point to measurement error, and/or errors in the meter. If the device you're measuring (ignition coil primary resistance in this case) is 98 ohms on the 200 ohm scale (which is a wrong answer, BTW), then it would read 0.098 K ohms on the 2K ohm scale (which is 98 ohms). With a perfect meter on the 20K ohm scale it will read 00.1 K ohms (or 100 ohms * the closest it can get to 98 ohms with only 100 ohms resolution in the bottom digit).

You measure 98 ohms, then 136 ohms, then 5800 ohms for the same device using different scales. Your quad isn't changing its coil resistance during these tests. Plain and simple, either your meter is bad or your measurement technique is bad. I suspect your meter has problems, you say it does not. But maybe on this issue you know better than me. I don't know I'm not there. But if you consistently measure different resistances for the primary winding on different scales then your meter is bad.

The above problems need to be solved first before tackling the quad problems. Otherwise we will be just analyzing random numbers.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Heres the new measurements*

ac ignition power while cranking** 51acv
ac ignition power pin resistance to ground**508 ohms
Ignition trigger pulse while cranking** 0.1 to 0.2
Ignition trigger pulse resistence to ground** was 160ohms then theres was 0 ohms i could not get any reading at all it was just 0
Ignition coil pin** 0.7 ohms
Ground pin** 0 ohms

Old 11-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Electrical Expert

508 ohms for the AC Power pin sounds high, but the most important measurement is the voltage. 51 volts AC is OK.

The trigger pin resistance of 160 ohms is right, but zero ohms is not. If you really do have zero ohms on this pin you will get no spark. I would check this again and verify it so as not to go off down a blind alley.

If you look at the color of this wire on the CDI connector, then look at the wire bundle coming out of the stator you will find the same color wire. Unplug this wire at the connector(s) coming out of the stator and repeat the test. Measure that pin in both the wiring harness and the stator wires to see which is shorted. If it is the harness then either find the short visually or cut that wire free and run a new wire. If it is in the stator then you have to disassemble the engine to see if you can find the short there.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

i did that ignition trigger pulse resistance test again and i still get 0. and i did it with more then one multi meter to make sure and i still get 0. so i traced it all the way down the wiring to the ignition trigger right to the base of the trigger and still no resistance. so it has to tbe something wrong inside the ignition trigger itself.there is nothing wrong with the wiring. what do you think lynn!

Old 11-24-2009, 10:49 PM
Electrical Expert

I'm comforted at least that you did get the right answer once, so I know you are on the right pin. Zero ohms is just wrong.

So lets double and triple check things:

While you are measuring zero ohms on the trigger wire, start cranking the quad. Do you get zero volts AC on the trigger wire? Your measured 0.1 to 0.2 volts AC before. You can't have any volts across a short to ground (zero ohms). CDI need not be plugged in for this test.

While you are measuring zero ohms on the trigger wire, hook up the CDI and see if you have spark. Is this the time when you have spark or when you don't have spark?

If you have zero ohms to ground on the trigger wire, and no spark, and no voltage on the trigger wrie while cranking, then the stator trigger output is bad.

Old 11-25-2009, 03:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

i am checking the blue and white wire. i put the multi meter set to acv volts on the 200 hundred scale and when i crank the engine over i get 0.1 to 0.2 volts. that is with the cdi box being unplugged. so then you wanted me to do a resistance test on that same blue and white wire and get a 0 ohm reading. thats with the cdi box unplugged.

Quick Reply: giovanni 150cc loses spark