Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

giovanni 150cc loses spark

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2009, 10:11 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice tidy answers are what I strive for. By measuring things two different ways, and having both measurement test results point to the same conclusion, gives a warm feeling that you are on the right track. Your results aren't tidy. But maybe you're fighting the limitations of your meter:

Blue White wire is correct.

Zero ohms to ground is not correct. But is it really zero ohms? You measure 0.1 volts AC or 0.2 volts AC on the trigger pin, the very same wire you say is shorted to ground. That cannot be. Ohms law states:

Voltage = Current times Resistance

If the resistance is zero, then the voltage must also be zero, no matter what the current is, because zero times any number is still zero. Measuring 0.2 volts across zero ohms is not tidy.

Are you using the 200 ohm scale when you measure this pin? I assume so since you did measure 160 ohms once.

When you measure zero ohms, and then check to see if you have spark, are you getting any spark at all?

I'm also wondering if your meter reads 0.1 to 0.2 volts AC even if zero volts is being measured. Your minimum AC voltage range is 200 volts AC which puts the voltages you're measuring right at the least significant digit resolution of your meter.

If your trigger wire really, really, really is shorted to ground inside the stator then all the above tests are moot, and you have a bad stator. The stator is easy to change but you need a puller to remove the flywheel. I've seen pullers on eBay, and on BuggyDepot.com for around $10.00 plus shipping.