Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kazuma 90 not starting

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smokefan14
The Beast is Alive!!!! well, kinda......it starts.

I can get the machine to start if I play with the throttle and choke, it seems like I have to pump the throttle to full throttle about 3 times then start with the choke on while still pumping the throttle. I ran it for about 15 minutes straight, I have to play with the throttle because it will not idle at all.

I definately need to adjust the valves next. Geoff and Lynn I appreciate all of your help. This is the first time i have posted on any forum, and you guys make it worth while.
Great news! Check your pilot jet. They are a bitch because they're so tiny. It may seem clean but, a tiny flake can kill the idle.

Glad I could help. Keep us updated.

Old 01-24-2010, 09:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also a mister mom alot of the times 2 boys and a girl 6,8and 10 just read this post put a smile on my face.. happy trails ....its to funny atvers mister moms lol

Old 01-24-2010, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

glad to hear you got your quad going......I'm not sure how exactly the 90 are but I have a kazuma 50 to me it seems like a death trap their to narrow and to short no suspension my yard is perfectly flat and my kids have tipped the quad many times so be careful also it was hard to hold straight on anyoffset it wanted to road walk when we actually took it on an old gravel road but I hope yours is alot better happy trails and safe riding to you

Old 01-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree about the 50. I have to get wheel spacers for my son's. I'd rather he was muddy than injured. The lack of a front suspension bothers me too. Those tie rod end take a beating. I tried to take air from the front tires to soften it up but, I'm afraid the tires will unseat. The engine hasn't given me any problems at all. Hopefully my younger son will outgrow it before long and I can upgrade to something a little better.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

what battery u got on yours mate what amp is it as i think ive got wrong battery on mine wauld appreciate the help cheers pal

Old 12-18-2010, 03:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Guys, I hate to beat this horse to death, but I am now having the same problem with my sons 90cc. We were riding yesterday around the yard (I ended up buying a used Suzuki Ozark) and his 90 quit on him. Today I have removed, cleaned, and reinstalled the carb. Checked the plug for spark (it is sparking) checked the fuel line for flow (yep it flows). I have the battery hooked up to my quad for extra starting power. I have sprayed ether in the intake and still have not an instance or attempt of firing. I am lost now, I read a bit about the valve clearence and wonder if that may be the case??? I have never done this type of thingif you all think it may be this. I also opened the fuel bowl to check for flow and it does flow. Any thoughts in my efforts?

Old 12-18-2010, 06:29 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by spalding ov sheff
what battery u got on yours mate what amp is it as i think ive got wrong battery on mine wauld appreciate the help cheers pal
Any 12 volt battery will work as long as it will mechanically fit in the quad battery compartment. Most are around 7 to 9 amp hours, but keep in mind the battery size does not keep the starter from turning or the quad from starting. A bigger battery will let you crank your starter for 7 minutes instead of 4 minutes before going dead, but my reasoning is that if it doesn't start in 30 seconds it isn't going to start period. So with either battery size you should have lots of reserve cranking power.

So do you have a bad battery? Is your battery charge system not working? A bad charging system can turn perfectly good batteries into junk very quickly.

Old 12-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by Bamaboys
Guys, I hate to beat this horse to death, but I am now having the same problem with my sons 90cc. We were riding yesterday around the yard (I ended up buying a used Suzuki Ozark) and his 90 quit on him. Today I have removed, cleaned, and reinstalled the carb. Checked the plug for spark (it is sparking) checked the fuel line for flow (yep it flows). I have the battery hooked up to my quad for extra starting power. I have sprayed ether in the intake and still have not an instance or attempt of firing. I am lost now, I read a bit about the valve clearence and wonder if that may be the case??? I have never done this type of thingif you all think it may be this. I also opened the fuel bowl to check for flow and it does flow. Any thoughts in my efforts?
The common symptom for valves that need adjustment is hard starting when the engine is cold, then running fine thereafter (until the engine cools again). This doesn't sound like your problem.

I'd change the spark plug. It's cheap, and it is possible that the plug can fire outside the engine, but not under compression pressures inside the engine.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ok guys here is an update, I was having some problems with my sons quad, I went with Lynn Edwards advice and changed the spark plug, well guess what to no surprise it began to hit, it tried to start several times, I thought I had the carb out of adjustment, so I was teaking the carb idle and air/fuel mixture and could never get it to stay running. Well now, today I was getting real close on the running part, but now the starter will hardly turn over, sounds like a dead battery, but I am jumping it from my battery on my quad. Any ideas, did I burn the starter or solenoid up? Any help would be appreciated. BTW Thanks Lynn for the advice, certainly a learning experience. My father says by the time I get it running again, I will be the local expert on these things, but I have to give credit where it is due...thanks to everyone on this forum...certainly a good, knowledgeable group of guys! Thanks again.

Old 12-23-2010, 08:38 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by Bamaboys
...today I was getting real close on the running part, but now the starter will hardly turn over, sounds like a dead battery, but I am jumping it from my battery on my quad. Any ideas, did I burn the starter or solenoid up?...
What is meant by "but I am jumping it from my battery on my quad"? Are you jumping the quad battery directly to the starter motor? Are are you jumping the quad battery to your car? I would do the later - i.e. jump the quad battery to your car. Does the start motor turn after you do that? Maybe your battery really is dead.

Get a meter and measure the voltage at your quad battery while you are cranking (or attempting to crank) the starter motor. What do your measure? It should be above 11 volts DC. If it isn't then you battery is dead.

Quick Reply: Kazuma 90 not starting