Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Kazuma 90 not starting

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know that the quad battery is dead, I have to get a new one, so I am using jumoer cables and the battery from my car to attempt to keep it running long enough to get the carb set right. However even being hooked to the car battery the starter doesn't spin fast enough to start the quad.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:54 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

While cranking the starter motor, measure the voltage on the quad battery at the jumper cables. Make sure you have at least 11.5 volts.

Then measure the voltage at the starter motor (again while cranking the starter). Put the red terminal on the starter motor input screw post, and the black lead right on the starter motor case. Make sure you have at least 11 volts.

Crank the starter motor for 20 seconds, then quickly feel all the wires and connection points to the starter motor, and all the ground return wires back to the battery negative terminal. Are the wires warm? Are they uniformly warm over their entire length, or are they hot only at certain junctions?

Old 12-26-2010, 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well Lynn, I went outside awhile ago to attempt, your suggestion. I hit the start button after hooking up the jumper cables to the car. The solenoid will click and the starter does not even try to turn. I disconnected the cables, started my car and let it run for a few minutes, I just put that battery in back in October, so I am certain it is fine. I ordered a new starter and should have it on Tuesday. I will install it and then let you know what I came up with.
Hope you had a Merry Christmas! We had snow here for the first time in 25 years, so i got my quad out and me and the boys played for a while!

Old 12-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

I meant the battery in my car was installed in October, not the Quad!

Old 12-28-2010, 01:07 AM
Electrical Expert

I kind of figured that.

My neighbors starter quit after running his quad in the ocean at pismo beach in california (he didn't know any better). I took the starter apart and found gummy corrosion in one of the brush holders which prevented the brush from pushing firmly up against the commutator. After a little cleanup the starter has worked fine for the last two years. The corrosion was caused by a little salt water leaking in past a nicked O-ring.

The point is that it is often worthwhile looking inside the starter motor for obvious (and fixable) problems before buying new. I know, i'm cheap....

Old 12-30-2010, 10:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

OK, here we go. I installed the new starter and once again attempted to start the boys quad. Again it would not start. Though the new starter was winding away. I followed the directions for the carb adjustments that I have found on here and still am having no luck. It will try to start but will not idle, and gas a tough time getting to stay running so I can adjust. In th emean time I disassembled the old starter and found that the area around the brushes in the brush holders was melted and the com was realy dirty. I am going to attempt to clean up the starter tomorrow and use it as a back-up just incase I ruin another starter in the process of getting this thing running. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-30-2010, 10:57 PM
Electrical Expert

Spark, fuel, compression.

You have spark.

After cranking a while pull out the plug and look to see if it is wet with fuel. Is it?

Before checking compression do a valve adjustment. This is the most common reason for low compression. Hard starting (and no starting) when cold are classic symptoms.

If all else fails you may want to hook up a timing light and shine it down an access hole onto the flywheel to see if your ignition timing is right. The access hole has a plug in it. A lot of quads have this hole - a lot of new owners try to put oil in this hole. The "spark" in the "spark, fuel, compression" sentence at the top assumes that the spark is occuring at the right time.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yes I have spark, compression is plenty, and fuel....well, I can get it to start and have to work the throttle to get it to try to run. I think the timing would be fine if it will attempt to start. I took the carb off and took it to work and put it in the Ultrasonic cleaner we have for about 2 hours, blew everything out and ran wire through all the holes. I will install it tonight and I will post an update. I hope to have better results.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well first attempt is a no go! I am going to try again in the morning. The bad thing is the carb set-up instructions are for a unit that is running and you can adjust to tune it. Does anyone have cold start instructions, or the settings for a carb that you have just cleaned and put back together?

Old 01-01-2011, 05:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

"IT'S ALIVE!" I can't believe the trouble this little dude gave me! I took the carb apart again, adjusted the float, reset my adjustment screws to last known running locations and gave it I whirl! Hit the first time, I also adjusted the needle to allow for a little more fuel flow. It idles like it has a cam'd 350 in it, but it is alive. I want to thank everyone for their help. The people on this forum are excellent to help and that is hard to find anywhere. I am going to buy and shelve a spare starter and carb for future events!

Quick Reply: Kazuma 90 not starting