Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Hammerhead 150 Kart - Starting Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 06:15 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hammerhead 150 Kart - Starting Problems

I need help getting a Hammerhead 150 started. When I trun the key nothing happens, no click, no lights, no horn, nothing. I replaced the battery and still have the same problems. I replaced the coil and CDI and still have the same problems. I have double checked too make sure the battery is correctly installed and the fuse is good.

When I cross the leads on the sylenoid the starter does engage and attemtp to start with no luck in actually starting.

Old 03-26-2010, 10:37 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan Chapin
I need help getting a Hammerhead 150 started. When I trun the key nothing happens, no click, no lights, no horn, nothing. I replaced the battery and still have the same problems. I replaced the coil and CDI and still have the same problems. I have double checked too make sure the battery is correctly installed and the fuse is good.

When I cross the leads on the sylenoid the starter does engage and attemtp to start with no luck in actually starting.
Dan,

I just looked at the published wiring diagram for a 2005 hammerhead 150. The start wiring looks pretty simple, but somehow I get this "i've been here before" feeling. If I'm remembering right the hammerheads are notorious for having multiple wiring schemes in the ignition switch area (and also having either DC or AC powered CDI's). If sure with a meter we can figure it out.

Look carefully at the ignition switch. I also seem to remember that HH switches are often bad.

Let me give it some thought and I post more tonight when I get back from work.

In the mean time here is a link to get an owners manual with a wiring diagram in it (2005 model):

BuggyNews Buggy Forum • View topic - twister 150HHSS ownerbook 2005

Buggynews is a great resource for troubleshooting buggy problems. There is nothing that says you can't request help at that site too and attack this problem from two fronts. There are lots of great people there, and lots of hammerhead owners.

Lynn

Old 03-26-2010, 11:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

here's been my experience with the keyed ignition. if the HH's key ignition is similiar to the Roketa 150cc, i've had to replace the keyed ignition and that solved my problem. it's like the "clicks" inside of it broke. at first i had slowly turn the key until somewhere inside the contacts "connected" and sent voltage to the solenoid/starter. i eventually replaced the keyed ignition and like i said, problem solved. hope this helps.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Ignition Switch Problems

How can I bypass the ignition switch to test this idea?

Old 03-26-2010, 11:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry i don't know, LynnEdwards and mywifesquad might know, i just tinker under a shade tree. i'm still learning myself, only my school seems to be school of hard knocks.

Old 03-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Dan,

My earlier deja vu feeling was all from this thread from a long time ago:

BuggyNews Buggy Forum • View topic - Help with no spark on HH150

It appears that hammerheads are wired differently depending on whether they have DC powered CDI's or AC powered CDI's. If you have a DC powered CDI then your wiring will (hopefully) be like the wiring diagram in the manual I linked to before. And that will make it easy to trace with a meter.

If you have an AC powered CDI then to the best of my knowledge there isn't a wiring diagram to go by. That doesn't make things impossible, just a little more challenging.

First step is to see if which version CDI you have.

1) What are the wire colors on the ignition switch connector? Report the colors of the wires in the main wiring harness, not the colors of the pigtail wires going to the switch itself.

2) Look at the wires coming out of the stator. Look for a black/red wire. Do you have one? And if you do (this is very important), does it connect into the wiring harness, or does it hang free (unconnected)?

Old 11-05-2021, 06:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Dan,

My earlier deja vu feeling was all from this thread from a long time ago:

BuggyNews Buggy Forum • View topic - Help with no spark on HH150

It appears that hammerheads are wired differently depending on whether they have DC powered CDI's or AC powered CDI's. If you have a DC powered CDI then your wiring will (hopefully) be like the wiring diagram in the manual I linked to before. And that will make it easy to trace with a meter.

If you have an AC powered CDI then to the best of my knowledge there isn't a wiring diagram to go by. That doesn't make things impossible, just a little more challenging.

First step is to see if which version CDI you have.

1) What are the wire colors on the ignition switch connector? Report the colors of the wires in the main wiring harness, not the colors of the pigtail wires going to the switch itself.

2) Look at the wires coming out of the stator. Look for a black/red wire. Do you have one? And if you do (this is very important), does it connect into the wiring harness, or does it hang free (unconnected)?
what does it mean if it has the black with red wire not connected to anything.. I’m getting power to my cdi but nothing coming out to the coil.