Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Sundiro 90 weird starting thing, lol.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lynn and mywifesquad and everyone else thanks again for all your help so far.

It's all starting to make sense to me now. i'm still unsure why i don't have spark, but i think the new coil will shed alot of light. i tried to start the quad with the boot off and plug in quite alot(to check for spark), and most of those without grounding the plug. its hard to check for spark while pushing the starter or worse, kicking it.

and there it is, the explanation to one of my problems. two weekends ago when i had 'intermittent spark' i believe my problem was the plug was grounded sometimes against the frame and sometimes it was just hanging there. in fact, i specifically remember one time when my dad said there was a strong spark and the plug was resting on metal. and another time where he said he couldn't see any and the plug was dangling in air. i'm almost positive that is what was going on then. according to mywifesquad, an ungrounded plug won't spark. it makes sense because up until i knocked the boot that day the quad 'basically' started fine, it was carb problems keeping it from running. once i solved the carb problem, boom, it started up and ran.

now theres something else wrong. i'm not sure what it is or how it got that way, but i'm getting more hopeful it isn't something serious. i'm thinking more its the coil, or maybe even the plug wire itself. its a strange coincidence to me how i moved that spark plug wire and then it stalled, then no spark.

thanks again guys, you've helped me tremendously. i'm learning so much here. without you i'd be out in that garage kick starting that quad til the cows came home with no results, give up, then let it sit again for more time. its coming along, i feel like i'm getting closer, and i owe it to you guys.

Old 04-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

Are yo going to buy a new spark plug wire?

Old 04-14-2010, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

Sorry, are you going to buy a new spark plug wire.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Trailblazer

yeah i bought a new wire and ignition coil off ebay. i'm not getting hopes too high, but i'm thinking it just might solve my problem. Toby seemed to think i messed up the 'wire going into the coil', i'm assuming he meant the spark plug wire, thats what makes sense to me.

Old 04-16-2010, 09:08 AM
Trailblazer

waiting for the coil to come in. ordered it monday, shoulda shipped tuesday. should be here any day now..

Old 04-16-2010, 10:12 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Im curious to see how this works out..Thanks for the updates.

Old 04-16-2010, 10:18 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Since the really high voltage on the ignition coil secondary will "blast its way through" to ground it is really important that a path is provided that will safely pass this energy to ground without it traveling internally through the coil itself, or worse traveling through the coil and through the CDI and then to ground.

In thunderstorm prone areas we put lightning rods on houses to provide a safe discharge path for the really high voltage lightning sparks. This keeps the lightning from traveling through the kitchen to get to ground, which would not be good for the kitchen.

Thus you should keep the spark plug threads grounded during spark tests. The spark plug is the lightning rod that keeps the voltage from rising too high and taking another more destructive path.

That said, I've made the mistake of leaving my plug wire disconnected and trying to start my quad. I've never had a problem with that, but it is not a good idea.
That makes sense to me...if it doesnt have a ground it will look for one and possibly smoke something along the line..

Bunch of those in China.. good thing cuz 1 nite lighting hit my building and took out my laptop..

I usually hold the electrode against a fin or the head(water cooled has no fins).

I have to and havnt ruined anything yet either. Even done it with my truck that has a MSD ignition/coil and no damage.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:37 PM
Trailblazer

mywifesquad, thank YOU for the help and support.

also wanted to let you guys know that i got some cash today, and since that cdi i found on ebay i'm pretty sure is identical to mine, and they only had one left, and i've been unable to find that anywhere else for the life of me lol, i went ahead and got the last one. i might not need it, but hey, i figured its only 12 bucks, and in case i do need it, i'll have it.

Old 04-16-2010, 04:00 PM
Pro Rider

Keep us posted. Im sure that lynnedwards and mywifesquad are anxious to see if (what part) was the culprit.

Old 04-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Trailblazer

still waiting for the coil and cdi. didn't want you guys to think i left you hanging. lol.

Quick Reply: Sundiro 90 weird starting thing, lol.