Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Help me choose which path to take. Off-Brand or Used. Details in post.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by burgezz
I've been on youtube for a little while pulling up chinese atv videos... I grew up with 4 wheelers and gave my 220 bayou hell and it never made a CLUNK sound landing from a jump.

Okay so I think I am going to go put some money down on the LT80 tomorrow so he will hold it... my Dad wants to go in 1/2 with me for my son's birthday so I will pick it up next week.

Anywhere I can get all the info possible on this model? I would like to restore it... I guess reading the Suzuki forums would be a good start?
Damn fine choice on the Suzuki LT80. My son is a big 8 year old at a little over 100lbs.....and he absolutely RIPS on his. In our field track he can actually out run me. These ATVs last and last. Thats a good price on that LT80. I gave $750 for his 1988 LT80....but it had a fresh top end on it.

They are VERY basic and can be worked on cheaply. My advise is once you get this one bought.....look for another. I bought a 1995 with a busted case for $100. I stripped it down and put the parts in bins.....Ive used a few parts out of it and MORE than paid for that quad. I also took a few performance pieces of it to put on my sons. It had a full FMF Power Core exhaust, Boyseen Power Reeds, UNI air filter, boost bottle.....the exhaust alone was worth the $100 price tag.

It dont look like much and its not as fancy as these new $3000 90cc quads from the big 4 but that picture was very common this winter. He rode almost every day.....we were out there in -10 weather. That LT80 fired right up everytime, with ease.

Super little quads.

That Breeze probably would be a little big right now.....but depends on your son. My son is 8 and rides my Suzuki King Quad.....my Honda TRX250EX and I recently gave him a TRX200D. Pics for size comparison below. The Breeze is smaller then all these quads......so it MAY not be that bad. I think if he had ANY time at all on another quad the Breeze may be a consideration.....but for a first quad I think it may be to much. Also not sure the Breeze has a throttle limiter.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

Anyone have any idea what type of brakes the 95 LT80 has? The front brake is missing and thats the first thing I want to fix.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Anyone have any idea what type of brakes the 95 LT80 has? The front brake is missing and thats the first thing I want to fix.
Its got manual drum brakes all the way around. Should be easy and cheap to fix.

Old 04-15-2010, 02:28 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by aaronrkelly
Its got manual drum brakes all the way around. Should be easy and cheap to fix.
Thanks and thanks for the pics... looks like he is having a lot of fun..

Old 04-15-2010, 03:00 AM
Trailblazer

[QUOTE=burgezz;2916354]I have more information:

LT80 ($750.00)
'95 model that the guy accepted on a trade-in. It looks pretty good and I didn't notice any frame issues but I think the motor case is cracked... If I am looking at the right spot. It's missing the front break lever but he did fire it up and let it idle.. It didn't sound great but it sounded okay.

Here is a picture of the crack:

I noticed that the LT80 has a wiseco sticker on the side... Can I assume that it might have been upgraded or used for racing? The salesman/mechanic at this small store basically wouldn't tell me anything about the previous owner and said it doesn't come with a warranty. I asked him about the front break and he said he didn't know anything about it and said kids don't use front breaks right anyway.

I get the impression he was either trying to push me towards buying the quad but not for sure why.

Old 04-15-2010, 07:38 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

I've been on youtube for a little while pulling up chinese atv videos... I grew up with 4 wheelers and gave my 220 bayou hell and it never made a CLUNK sound landing from a jump.

Okay so I think I am going to go put some money down on the LT80 tomorrow so he will hold it... my Dad wants to go in 1/2 with me for my son's birthday so I will pick it up next week.

Anywhere I can get all the info possible on this model? I would like to restore it... I guess reading the Suzuki forums would be a good start?

I noticed that the LT80 has a wiseco sticker on the side... Can I assume that it might have been upgraded or used for racing?
That clunk is from the lack of damping in the shocks.. sort of like a pogo stick for suspension..

Good Choice.

Start a thread and LT80 and others will have more info for you than you need..

Wiseco is a piston maker... Id guess its had a fresh piston or 2 in its life... or its just a sticker..

Old 04-15-2010, 07:56 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

There's enough people here that are really knowledgeable about the LT you'll get more than enough help.

Great advice about finding a non running one for parts.

Sounds like a good father and son project.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

Good choice on the LT..The polaris would have also been an excellent choice and probably would have had a better suspension..You can build up the suspension and engine as the child gets larger and learns to handle the power..

Old 04-20-2010, 04:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

My son is turning 7 in may also, just bought him one for his b day. I went with the used chineese made kazuma falcon 110. It seems a little bug for him, but I dont think he will outgrow it too soon. Everything I have read on here, and most of my friends who have had them say you will need to learn to work on it! I was fortunate to find that is in great shape! All it needed was a battery, oil change and lubed up. I got it for $350......the price made the decision VERY easy.