Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Best ATV for 9 Year Old Girl

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 09:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Crap! Ya beat me too it..
I was hoping to sell him my Polaris 450MXR. It already has mods and she would love my front PEP PB-1's and the ZPS rear

Old 08-24-2010, 10:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice :>
I think I will keep the Badger and cut down the plastic bushings on the front shocks and add an XR70 shock on the rear an see how it goes. Upgrading will not make a her a better rider, just a more comfortable rider. I am trying to get her to stay standing most of the time on the trails to let the machine move under her.

FWIW, I have enough vehicles that require repair, so if I can keep her on something that never breaks, I am happy. It is amazing how well built this thing is.

Old 09-03-2010, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

Hmm, It took me a while researching a ATV for my daughter before I made a purchase,at the time she was 6,we choose the Eton Viper 70 at a local Honda dealer,now she is 10 and still enjoys it with zero problems other than a set of rear disc brakes I just ordered,it has been problem free for over 4 years which is pretty good in my opinion.Actually the Etons share the same parts as the Polaris Predator if not mistaken and parts are easy to get.In my case safety was first and it had plenty of good features,as far as suspension,fully adjustable front/rear and according to the manual it had a 190lb weight capacity,I even enjoy riding it. I wish we got a 90 but they were rated for 12 years and older,the 90 had more ground clearance.The worst thing that can happen is a child getting hurt or worse on a ATV and everyone pointing fingers at the parents for putting them on a big bore ATV not rated for their age,happens alot around here and we have alot of accidents involving them.We have a 96 300 Honda which as about 20 miles on it and has been in storage since 97,it still looks brand new, she has begged for it but I told her when she hits 16 it's hers.I think you are making a good choice sticking with the Badger for a while longer

Old 09-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Trailblazer

yeah, I don't agree with putting kids on bikes out of their skill level to ride. the power is all too tempting to play with and abuse and get hurt.

I say upgrade the shocks and see how she does she will probably also build stamina for riding the more she goes. my kid gets tired but when we go every weekend he lasts longer.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.

Not arguing the too big for her age here. Went through the same thing with my son when he was 12. I had him on a Raptor 80 (Much the same machine your daughter is riding). He was so tall by the time he was 10, that his knees were hitting the handlebars when he sat down. I had no choice to upgrade. Even the riding instructor told me he was too big for the 80. So I stepped him up to a TRX 250 Honda with the auto clutch. He can learn to shift, and use a clutch without worrying about stalling it. You simply cannot stall it using the clutch. It has reverse, and is not the High HP racer type, although it has the look. I feel comfortable with him on it. He is now 15 and I don't feel bad about my decision. It is enough of a sport machine to have fun on, and learn on without being a screamer. He is not a racer type..

Old 09-07-2010, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider

The size recommendations are just that - recommendations.

If your daughter is of the size to safely operate an adult ATV then I say let her. It sounds like she has good experience and the smaller adult ATVs arent powerful. For instance my sons LT80 will work my 300cc Suzuki King Quad over with ease in the yard. Granted its a utility ATV.

My sons a big 8 year old and he can comfortable reach the controls and operate my adult ATVs so I let him. Granted we arent talking about a Brute Force here....a Honda TRX200D, the Suzuki KQ300 and a Honda Sportrax 250.....fairly mild mannered and its hard to get into trouble on these machines. The little TRX200D actually fits him very well, his LT80 sets for the most part these days.

Here he is stand up going over some rough stuff

Here he is moving around my TRX250.....it was in the way of spreading that mound out.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:44 AM
Pro Rider

I got my 9 year old a piped out banshee...he will be outta the hospital in a few weeks the Doc tells me =)

Old 09-07-2010, 03:07 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by unit6666
I got my 9 year old a piped out banshee...he will be outta the hospital in a few weeks the Doc tells me =)
When he gets out you wanna set up a race......I got a NOS kit coming for the Sportrax.