Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

Throttle sticking on LT80

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle sticking on LT80

2005 LT80 and the throttle is sticking. Sometimes when you let off it will keep going. Hasn't stuck wide open but will slow some and then maintain the same speed. It drives on its on.

Only thing i have done is screw the throttle in so my son couldn't go wide open. I had it almost all the way in and about a week ago it was slowly doing it so i let it out some.

It started doing it agin today. What's causing it?

Old 10-04-2010, 08:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd start with lubricating/making sure the cable is OK.
Then the carb slide. Unscrew the carb top and pull it out. Clean and lubricate.
Make sure the cable is not pulling on the carb top as they can get pulled on and sorta bind the cable.
Clean and lube the throttle control.

Old 10-09-2010, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider
Is old enough to know better, but too young to stop.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle sticking.

Now this may not be true in your case, it unfortunately is for many on this list. You have to do occasional maintenence on these things.

Now think about it, have you oiled your cables lately, Ever? I admit it, I don't do it as often and I should, and wait until I start having a problem... and that may be too late.

We all need to get into the habit of doing regular maintenence. And it is a very good time to introduce the kids to the act as well. They may not have the physical strength to loosen a bolt, but they can be shown what is involved, and there are plenty of steps that they CAN handle. If nothing else, thye can chase tools, and learn about their uses. So involve them as much as possible and start building good habits.

As for oiling cables. Chances are, if they are sticking, it would probably be best that you just go ahead and replace the cable assembly at this point. In my racing days, and that was more years ago than I care to count, I found it much more cost effective to just replace them regularly. Oiling them was always a problem. If you are not oiling them every time you ran, then the process probably will not return the benefits you are expecting. Besides, you probably don't know what is wrong with it, and it will always be suspect. Do you want to live with that?

Cables should be considered an expendable, like air filters, Gas filters etc. They should be replaced once every season, and chances are you will not have any more problems with them.

Good luck