Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

How to reinstall lights on 90cc

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to reinstall lights on 90cc

Bought a 90cc e-ton (big for a 90cc looks more like a 150cc or so) for my nephew. (not the quad in my avatar) The price was right and it has been gone through well, new top end etc so hopefully it holds up well. Anyway, My question is (on the handlebar) it has a switch for the lights but there are no lights on the quad, previous owner said they were off when he first bought it as well.

Is there a way I can re-wire up a front light on here (and a rear brake light if possible)? quad has a new battery, the horn and electric start work just fine but no lights.. I was thinking of running directly to battery but lights would always be on and not sure if battery could handle that.. I was thinking of throwing a little aftermarket fog light on there I have laying around from my old truck but is that too much draw? Just not sure how to wire it and have it work on the switch and still let the battery correctly charge.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I plan to give him this on xmas eve and would love it to have some lights on it.

-Mike

Old 12-21-2010, 10:40 AM
Pro Rider

I was lucky I guess. My Eton had the switch as well. It had the housing for the lights with an adhesive strip to look like the lens. I removed the the front cover and it was already wired for the lights, all I had to do was purchase the light bulbs

Old 12-21-2010, 01:16 PM
Trailblazer

That is pretty lucky! Hopefully I can come to some sort of a somewhat simple fix as well. Thanks for your reply!

Old 12-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Trailblazer

well I think I found the wires for the front lights tucked around the frame and taped off. Not sure if the wires are hot/good or not but I'm afraid to hook lights up to them because i'm not sure what size light to use and I don't want to put a strain on the electrical system. any input? Thanks, Mike

Old 12-23-2010, 10:39 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MiZZiE
well I think I found the wires for the front lights tucked around the frame and taped off. Not sure if the wires are hot/good or not but I'm afraid to hook lights up to them because i'm not sure what size light to use and I don't want to put a strain on the electrical system. any input? Thanks, Mike
Eton headlights are powered with AC voltage directly from the stator. You do not need to worry about 'straining the electrical system'. The stator is inherently self-limiting. You cannot hurt the stator by overloading it.

But you do need to use the proper wattage headlights. The headlight load is chosen to match the maximum available output power of the stator lighting coil. Thus the power delivered to the lights is regulated by the fact that the stator isn't capable of over driving the lights. It is in constant current limit at high speeds. At idle the lights will be dim.

If you don't put big enough headlights in the bulb will get overdriven and burn out early. If you put in too high a wattage bulb the lights will be *really* dim at idle and won't come up to full brightness even at higher engine speeds.

I don't know what bulbs Eton's use. You may want to contact the tech support guys at www.anythingATV.com and ask them.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:22 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for your reply. Always a big help you helped me out on here a while ago with my old Redcat quad as well nice to see some people willing to help someone out on here still! So I can't hurt the stator with lighting? That's great news. I understand that you don't know the correct bulbs to use since all ATVs are differant but incase I can't find the info elsewhere is there a 'happy medium' size bulb I could use which would give me a sufficiant amount of light at idle as well as while RPMs are raised... Maybe like the overall common single light size in small ATVs? I plan to just add one wide center light rather than two lights. I was also thinking about an LED headlight considering they draw less power and put out nice light. but again no sure of the size I don't want to blow through lights everyday! Thanks again for your reply have a great holiday. -Mike

Old 12-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You cannot hurt the stator by overloading it. You can even short it out without damage. In fact the reason the headlights can operate at all on AC power is that the headlight overloads the stator and pulls down the voltage to the right value (assuming you use the correct power headlight).

LED lights are awesome, but they need DC power. They will not work on AC. But that shouldn't be a big problem. Just run a wire from the switched 12 volt power at the ignition switch to the headlight switch. The other side of the headlight switch goes to the positive isde of the LED lights, and the other side of the LED lights goes to ground.