Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

eton viper jr. rxl 40 starts runs then dies

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 08:47 PM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I really don't know anything about this quad ignition system. I've never seen one, and the only info I have is the wiring diagram posted earlier.

According to that diagram the ignition coil is close coupled to the flywheel magnets. Is that the case on your quad? If so I would suspect it above anything else since the 5 minutes warm up to failure, and the 15 minutes to cool down resembles the heat up and cool down times of an engine block (which is where I suspect the coil is attached). Other small things under plastic covers in a moving stream of air would heat up and cool down faster.

All I'm doing though is playing the odds. A better method is actually measuring stuff, but we need to know what to measure and what to expect for results first.

Have you tried calling the tech guys at www.anythingatv.com? They have a tech support phone number listed in their troubleshooting charts. It may be worth a try. At least it is another data point to ponder.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the flywheel looks kind like an old water wheel with two flat spots that contact the thing that is then connected to the spark plug wire and thru the plug wire the spark plug, then yes but i just got a good job and have an income so i can afford it now and will just buy it if it doesnt fix it then i ll just have it fix by one of my friends who fixes them for a living, but bad thing is its a long drive to take it to him and hes just about always busy

Old 06-20-2011, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eton Viper JR 40

Hi DGRAY18,
Did you ever find the issue with your Quad? I have the same quad and the same problem. It seems like I can get it to start some times by moving the plug wire around but it doesnt always work. I am hoping that you solved the problem and can give me the scoop.
Thanks for any help that you can lend.
crashklein@aol.com

Old 06-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if you can move the plug/coil wire around and that affects your outcome, then i'd say you have a faulty plug/coil wire.......start there. then verify spark, then verify fuel, that you're getting fuel and that the fuel tank is not pulling a vacuum......then let's keep going until the problem is rectified. have a detailed answer on things you test or do to the quad.