Kids Quads Discussions about Kid's Quads and other ATV's.

New member lt80 questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2011, 08:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member lt80 questions

Hi all, I have had my lt80 for my son for about a year now and was wondering about any periodic maintenance I should be checking. I am pretty handy mechanically as I do all my own wrenching on my 450R, but I have no book for this machine so I figured I would ask you guys. And are there any common problems or anything I should look out for on these? I am also lookin to do a few mods like exhaust, boyessen reeds, uni filter, and different gearing, actually all of this stuff I found together from midwest mini, im sure you guys have heard of them. I am not lookin to squeeze every last hp out of her, just pep it up a bit, and make it sound like a 2 stroke should I have also read about some clutch mods but I have a much younger son that I want to teach to ride on this machine so I want to keep the clutch engagement stock for now. Thanks Guys.

Old 02-27-2011, 08:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Location: Ambridge, PA (about 25 miles north of Pittsburgh, PA)

Welcome to the forums!
I am in the same position that you are. I want my kids to learn how to ride first then pep it up after they gain confidence. You came to the right place for advice. There is an expert builder here, LT80 or Jack Moore, who builds these little quads. He actually has 2 of mine at his place right now. It just so happens that I have the "LUXURY" of having older and younger kids. LOL I am having one done fairly stock and the other done a little modded. My oldest will be riding the modded one, while the youngest ones will be learning on the stock one. He's a great guy to work with. I'm sure he will be on here soon. You can definitely learn alot on here.

Maintenence wise, I am not an expert so I will let them give you the proper info on that.

Be patient and LT80 will usually chime in. Have Fun!

Old 02-27-2011, 10:04 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Welcome to the forums.
You should clean the carb every now and then. You should check the gearbox oil level (bolt/weep hole by front sprocket).
You should maintenence the clutchs ie: make sure rollers are not flat and able to roll and check the rear clutch bearings.
I'll Private Message you with other things.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Sounds good, also what kind of oil goes into the gear box, I have some 80w85 honda hp tranny fluid I run in my R, would that be correct or would it need something else?

Old 02-27-2011, 10:42 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

That'll be just fine.
Up top on the right. It says "your messages".
Click on that.

Old 02-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Trailblazer

I was using 10w40 motor oil

never had a problem...

all I did was top it off tho. never actually drained and filled, oh, no, wait I did, I pulled all the gears out thinking it was part of my trouble shooting, filled with 10w40 never had a problem LOL. not sure if it damaged anything, broke the motor case before it mattered anyway

I had the midwest mini kit and it was ok, but you can probably do better for your money. mine came with the bike and I don't think I would have put that kind of money into it for what you get out... sold it a lil over a week ago with a spare frame and almost enough parts to build a 2nd one for $500 lol. not gonna miss it too much I don't think to be honest lmfao

Old 02-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert

That Hawaiin sure does laugh alot.
I've used and have recomended 10-40. For what oil costs now, might as well get the hypoid gear oil.
10-40 doesn't have the shear strength as the hypoid oils thus the grey color.
The 80w85 is what Zuki and the others recomend.
I used auto tranny fluid in my TT race motors. It all seemed to work.

Trending Topics

Old 02-28-2011, 12:37 AM
Trailblazer

thut I deyew